New Chairman Blog: Underway (including storm)

DEIx15x8

Their is a new chairman's blog post about the happenings in Miami and the Oasis. One interesting part is on the weather that the Oasis has run into.

The one thing you can never count on, though, is the weather. It seems that we have managed to time our crossing perfectly to coincide with the worst of a north Atlantic winter storm. That storm has resulted in relative wind speeds of 60-70 mph (a hurricane starts at 74 mph). It has also resulted in significant wave heights of up to 30 feet (significant wave heights essentially means consistently over a period of time). Some individual waves reach even higher.

Capt. Bill is considering now what is the best course and speed for the ship to minimize the impact of the storm. I’m told that the ship is so stable that the crew can barely feel the storm. But on deck it is a different story and the storm is preventing us from doing the work on the outdoor decks that we had hoped including rehearsing in the AquaTheatre.

We’re told the storm could last another 24 or 36 hours but we’re hoping that these forecasts are as unreliable as the ones I look at to plan my vacation.

http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/chairmans-blog/chairman/underway/

Archived