Salmon bake?

perlgirlnj

Are any of the salmon bakes worthwhile, or are they tourist traps that locals avoid totally?

Are there any that can be visited independently, or do they have to be booked through a tour?

If there's one place where we should do one, would it be in:

Seward?

Denali/Talkeetna?

Juneau? (But not the one involving flying in; that's not do-able for us.)

Skagway?

Ketchikan?

Thanks for the advice!

No, I don't think they're all tourist traps. Haven't been myself, but I believe I've seen Budget Queen (a LONG-time AK traveler) mention on here that she's been to a few, unfortunately, my old brain isn't working so good today,so I can't remember which it was she recommended...I'm sure once she sees your thread, she will post. Shout out to you, BQ!

All your ports have salmon bakes except Ketchikan, that I know of??- but Ketchikan does have some darn good fish in restaurants. And right on the dock, I really like grabbing a halibut. :) I do favor Thane Ore House in Juneau for salmon, but have been to Liarsville, out of Skagway, Gold Creek out of Juneau, salmon bake in Seward. I have not been to the Denali area salmon bake, but have been to the salmon bake with Cabin Night.

It's all decent food. They do feed large groups, but the fresh salmon is very very good. If you like salmon, then, it's really a small investment of your overall trip to try one.

Juneau: Gold Creek is pretty nice, a big cookout. Look it up on the internet. Their transportation is a shuttle thing. It's in a pretty little valley, there is a trail, a bit of entertainment. I enjoyed it with my mother a couple of times when that was as much activity as she was able to do.

Pay attention to how they are cooking the salmon, then go home and learn how to do it in your own back yard.

I flew in to the Taku Lodge Salmon Bake once. I liked the Gold Creek Salmon Bake better.

The Alaska State museum is a goodie that is often overloooked in Juneau. I don't think it's on any tours, maybe it's near a trolley stop. We always walked to it.

Archived