NCL suite 1st-timer - where is the concierge located & how do you use the service?

uromac

Hi!

I'm excited about being in an AE suite on the Jewel this December - but I was wondering where the concierge for the suites is exactly located on the ship - ie, is there a specific desk/office or area where others on the ship go to see the concierge - as soon as you board the ship are you introduced to that person, etc?, I know there is usually an information person near desk services for excursions, queries, etc, - but are they near that area or by the suites on a particular deck? Also, how do those that are frequent NCL suite cruisers utilize this service along with the butler during the cruise? Any info, photos, etc... would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again -

Melissa

The concierge on the Jewel was in the Star Bar which you go through for breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. When we sailed last December, Anka was there every morning, and usually at lunch time she did a walk through Cagney's chatting with the guests. Additionally, she was always available by phone. Services besides reservations for tours and dinner, are pretty much on an as needed basis.

Al

Hi!

I'm excited about being in an AE suite on the Jewel this December - but I was wondering where the concierge for the suites is exactly located on the ship - ie, is there a specific desk/office or area where others on the ship go to see the concierge - as soon as you board the ship are you introduced to that person, etc?, I know there is usually an information person near desk services for excursions, queries, etc, - but are they near that area or by the suites on a particular deck? Also, how do those that are frequent NCL suite cruisers utilize this service along with the butler during the cruise? Any info, photos, etc... would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again -

Melissa

You will most likely meet your concierge upon embarkation. They will give you their phone number and location. On the Dawn it was in the Star Bar. If your concierge is anything like Anoop, you will see him at the various restaurants and venues as well.

We used Anoop and Claudio (our concierge on our first NCL cruise) to make restaurant reservations, for excursions and on this trip, for access to the special owner's suite seating in the Stardust.

You will also have a butler who will attend to your day to day needs such as breakfast in your suite or serving dinner in you want it.

You'll be spoiled..once you go suite you'll never go back!

Any info, photos, etc... would be greatly appreciated!

We have sailed twice in suites aboard the Star with the incomparable Simone as concierge. Both times she greeted us during VIP check-in, and we saw here a number of times throughout the week, most of the time during breakfast in Cagney's. She also called to check on us, take restaurant reservations, and sent written communications of various perks to our suite, which I have provided through the following link.

VIP Communications

Enjoy your cruise! You will love the suite life!

Hi!

Thanks everyone for your answers! Are there hours if we do not the meals each day? As it is a surprise for my dh, I'm trying to find out everything before we set sail without him knowing! We actually have 2 cabins an oceanview cabin for my teenage kids (although I am listed with my 16 yo daughter in this one) and my 20yo son and my husband are listed in the AE suite. I know that only 2 of us can be accomodated in the dining area (breakfast/lunch) and other amenities that are for suite passengers only - but I'm still looking forward to my surprise!

Thanks again!

Melissa

On the Jewel, the concierge has an office on deck 7, around the corner from the reception desk...Your concierge will be either Anka or Carlos depending on when Carlos returns from his vacation. We have sailed with both of them and they are top notch...

To use the services of the concierge or butler just pick up the phone..

If you wish to bring the rest of you family to Cagney's for breakfast or lunch just mention it to the concierge. I'm sure there wont be a problem..

We have sailed twice in suites aboard the Star with the incomparable Simone as concierge. Both times she greeted us during VIP check-in, and we saw here a number of times throughout the week, most of the time during breakfast in Cagney's. She also called to check on us, take restaurant reservations, and sent written communications of various perks to our suite, which I have provided through the following link.

VIP Communications

Enjoy your cruise! You will love the suite life!

Hi, I'm having problems opening this link. Is there something special I need to do?

Thanks

Hi!

Thanks everyone for your answers! Are there hours if we do not the meals each day? As it is a surprise for my dh, I'm trying to find out everything before we set sail without him knowing! We actually have 2 cabins an oceanview cabin for my teenage kids (although I am listed with my 16 yo daughter in this one) and my 20yo son and my husband are listed in the AE suite. I know that only 2 of us can be accomodated in the dining area (breakfast/lunch) and other amenities that are for suite passengers only - but I'm still looking forward to my surprise!

Thanks again!

Melissa

Hi Melissa

You have booked two cabins. Make sure the reservations are linked together. Your TA or NCL can do that for you. When you are in a suite, there is a separate checkin. If the cabins are linked, you can ALL checkin together as VIP's and meet the Concierge on the pier. Once you meet the Concierge, you can ask him to include your children in the special dining. There shouldn't be a problem.

Once you taste the "Suite" Life, there no going back. Take it from me.

Happy Cruising,

Monty

I had a 2 quick questions to pile on this, if I can. 1 - Can the butler or Conciege get reservations at the Bowling and Rock climbing? 2 - We are in an Courtyard Suite and two others (Wife and Daughter, linked) traveling with us are in another non-suite room. I assume we can get them a key and access to courtyard?

There shouldn't be. I was just able to open it. There are times of the day when it seems to open quicker than others. I would try again.

I just tried again and didn't have any problems. Thanks again for giving that info.

I had a 2 quick questions to pile on this, if I can. 1 - Can the butler or Conciege get reservations at the Bowling and Rock climbing? 2 - We are in an Courtyard Suite and two others (Wife and Daughter, linked) traveling with us are in another non-suite room. I assume we can get them a key and access to courtyard?

Not necessarily. The courtyard is built to handle a maximum number of folks, and adding non courtyard folks is not normally allowed. There have been man threads on here about this.

Al

They are welcome to join you in your suite in the courtyard, but not the public areas of the courtyard.

We have two teenage girls and wanted to utilize the extra Bathroom that the interior would afford us. We were told by the TA that it would not be a problem to get the extra key and have them utilize the Courtyard area as the reservations were linked and they were family.

Hi!

I will definitely double check to make sure our reservations with NCL are linked tomorrow! BTW, just got an email saying they will mail out our 'Welcome Aboard Kit' - soon which I'm looking forward to receiving - is there any difference between the 2 kits we will be getting i.e., suite vs. non-suite packet?

Thanks again!

Melissa :)

We have two teenage girls and wanted to utilize the extra Bathroom that the interior would afford us. We were told by the TA that it would not be a problem to get the extra key and have them utilize the Courtyard area as the reservations were linked and they were family.

I'm afraid your TA is not correct. Generally, only those staying in a Courtyard suite (or Owner's Suite, AA) have their ship cards coded for the Courtyard access. It is not a separate key, so there are no "extras" available. Those listed as staying in the Courtyard Villa will have their ship cards automatically coded to allow access to Deck 14; those who are listed in the other cabin will not. This applies even when the other cruisers are your own children.

Just because they are family and have linked reservations doesn't mean they have access to the Courtyard. It was designed to accomodate a specific number of passengers and would become unbelievably crowded and unusable if everyone who was traveling with family was allowed to have their family members access the facilities. There are people who have written that they're traveling with a large family group and are the only ones in a suite or villa, but that they expect (and will try to demand) that the entire group receive the full suite perks. Unfortunately, that attitude (which is absolutely not your attitude--not at all) has created some hard feelings among suite/villa passengers. I understand that you are inquiring because your TA told you one thing, but you're reading another. The thing is that it's very difficult to say, for example, "We're going to allow exceptions for these passengers, but not for those passengers," so the rule is generally that exceptions are not made, particularly for the Courtyard access because the Courtyard is a small space and intended to be "exclusive." Allowing non-Courtyard passengers to have full access to the Courtyar is unfair to those who specifically paid for the Courtyard perks.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I really don't. I'm not unsympathetic to the situation when you're traveling with minor children. In fact, there have been a number of threads over the past few years arguing this exact issue: Should minor children be allowed full suite perks if their parents are traveling in a suite/villa? In any case, your TA has misinformed you in saying that your wife and daughter will be able to get extra keys for the Courtyard and will automatically have full suite perks. If you and your wife will be the ones staying in the villa (I assume that's the case), then you'll need to have your wife's and daughter's stateroom numbers switched after boarding. They'll need to go get new ship cards with your wife's changed to the villa and your daughter's changed to the inside. Otherwise, your wife wouldn't have access to the Courtyard on her own ship card.

There are some perks that should be available to all of you, such as VIP boarding and tendering, sometimes access to Cagney's breakfast and lunch (but that depends on many things and is by no means guaranteed as it's a perk for specific passengers), and restaurant reservations (suite passengers can make reservations for the entire week upon boarding).

Are you in an A3 or A4? If an A3, then you really don't need the second cabin. As DMH15 mentions, the A3 has two bedrooms and two baths. In fact, the second bedroom and bath is perfect for two teenagers. If you're in an A4, what about checking fares for an A3 (if available). You might find that fares for the 3rd and 4th passengers in an A3 would not be more (who knows, sometimes they're less) than 1st and 2nd passengers in even an inside cabin.

beachchick

Hi!

I will definitely double check to make sure our reservations with NCL are linked tomorrow! BTW, just got an email saying they will mail out our 'Welcome Aboard Kit' - soon which I'm looking forward to receiving - is there any difference between the 2 kits we will be getting i.e., suite vs. non-suite packet?

Thanks again!

Melissa :)

The welcome kit is pretty generic...there are no differences in the kit suite vs. non-suite. Actually, the use of the word *kit* is too generous. It's more like an informational book that protects the luggage tags they send you. :p Everything about the welcome kit can be found on the NCL website or in your e-docs.

I'm afraid your TA is not correct. Generally, only those staying in a Courtyard suite (or Owner's Suite, AA) have their ship cards coded for the Courtyard access. It is not a separate key, so there are no "extras" available. Those listed as staying in the Courtyard Villa will have their ship cards automatically coded to allow access to Deck 14; those who are listed in the other cabin will not. This applies even when the other cruisers are your own children.

Just because they are family and have linked reservations doesn't mean they have access to the Courtyard. It was designed to accomodate a specific number of passengers and would become unbelievably crowded and unusable if everyone who was traveling with family was allowed to have their family members access the facilities. There are people who have written that they're traveling with a large family group and are the only ones in a suite or villa, but that they expect (and will try to demand) that the entire group receive the full suite perks. Unfortunately, that attitude (which is absolutely not your attitude--not at all) has created some hard feelings among suite/villa passengers. I understand that you are inquiring because your TA told you one thing, but you're reading another. The thing is that it's very difficult to say, for example, "We're going to allow exceptions for these passengers, but not for those passengers," so the rule is generally that exceptions are not made, particularly for the Courtyard access because the Courtyard is a small space and intended to be "exclusive." Allowing non-Courtyard passengers to have full access to the Courtyar is unfair to those who specifically paid for the Courtyard perks.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I really don't. I'm not unsympathetic to the situation when you're traveling with minor children. In fact, there have been a number of threads over the past few years arguing this exact issue: Should minor children be allowed full suite perks if their parents are traveling in a suite/villa? In any case, your TA has misinformed you in saying that your wife and daughter will be able to get extra keys for the Courtyard and will automatically have full suite perks. If you and your wife will be the ones staying in the villa (I assume that's the case), then you'll need to have your wife's and daughter's stateroom numbers switched after boarding. They'll need to go get new ship cards with your wife's changed to the villa and your daughter's changed to the inside. Otherwise, your wife wouldn't have access to the Courtyard on her own ship card.

There are some perks that should be available to all of you, such as VIP boarding and tendering, sometimes access to Cagney's breakfast and lunch (but that depends on many things and is by no means guaranteed as it's a perk for specific passengers), and restaurant reservations (suite passengers can make reservations for the entire week upon boarding).

Are you in an A3 or A4? If an A3, then you really don't need the second cabin. As DMH15 mentions, the A3 has two bedrooms and two baths. In fact, the second bedroom and bath is perfect for two teenagers. If you're in an A4, what about checking fares for an A3 (if available). You might find that fares for the 3rd and 4th passengers in an A3 would not be more (who knows, sometimes they're less) than 1st and 2nd passengers in even an inside cabin.

beachchick

Just curious ...have you ever stayed in a Courtyard Villa ???

beachchick

Thank you so much for your reply. And I, honestly, agree completely, as the reason we are doing this cruise is for the privacy that the Courtyard offers. We are in an a3 and an inside. We have 6 of us, me, wife and two 15 yo boys and 2 17 yo girls. My concern with only having one cabin, is the space for the 4 of them and they are not all Brothers / Sisters, so the privacy for the girls getting ready etc.... The inside is about the same price as adding extra passengers, so I am not saving any money by doing it this way.

That said, the main things we were needing was Restaurant Reservation, Priority checkin / Tender and having them come sit with us while in the courtyard. I guess I am not as concerned with them having a key that is coded for the courtyard, but having access with me. Do they check when you come in or is it just having the coded key. Also, in an a3, what is the sleeping configuration that allows 6? Anyone know, factually, those answers, your input would be appreciated. Then I can decide if I just need to move them in my room, by the final payment Dec 20. Thank you so much.

Thank you so much for your reply. And I, honestly, agree completely, as the reason we are doing this cruise is for the privacy that the Courtyard offers. We are in an a3 and an inside. We have 6 of us, me, wife and two 15 yo boys and 2 17 yo girls. My concern with only having one cabin, is the space for the 4 of them and they are not all Brothers / Sisters, so the privacy for the girls getting ready etc.... The inside is about the same price as adding extra passengers, so I am not saving any money by doing it this way.

That said, the main things we were needing was Restaurant Reservation, Priority checkin / Tender and having them come sit with us while in the courtyard. I guess I am not as concerned with them having a key that is coded for the courtyard, but having access with me. Do they check when you come in or is it just having the coded key. Also, in an a3, what is the sleeping configuration that allows 6? Anyone know, factually, those answers, your input would be appreciated. Then I can decide if I just need to move them in my room, by the final payment Dec 20. Thank you so much.

Technically, they will NOT be allowed in the courtyard. Sometimes the concierge is kind and allows this, sometimes you might sneak them in and not be caught, maybe others you will be caught. I can say for a fact that when staying in an AA Owner's Suite and adjoining AC suite, my teen daughters (in the AC) were NOT allowed to join us in the courtyard (per the concierge but they were allowed to join us in Cagney's), and we never tried to sneak them in. We have heard others state that their minor children were allowed access with them (per the concierge). I would think the biggest obstacle would be how busy the cruise is - ie. we usually cruise during school holidays so the ship was always packed. We have even tried to "double book" our daughters - pay for BOTH the balcony cabin (for them to have space) AND the third and fourth in the A3, and we were told it is impossible.

As far as the A3 config that sleeps six, I am not sure if it officially does, but if they sell it that way it would "officially" be two in the master bedroom, three in the small bedroom, and one on the sleeper sofa in the living room - although you could probably put two on the sofabed and two in the small bedroom.

Robin

They do not check at the door. However, there is a poolside butler that will know who does and does not have access. Please don't sneak or assume they can come in to the courtyard area. Seems to me you need an A3 and A4 to accomodate your needs. Keep in mind the courtyard area is very small.

I got this directly from a Hotel Director, who asked me not to post his name.

"I alone reserves the right to allow non-courtyard guests access. Often, guests tell me their travel agent has told them their family can have access because their reservations are linked. I have the unfortunate duty to tell them to take it up with their agent when home..."

He went on to say he is more lenient on Cagney meals than courtyard access.

Al

Archived