No free a/i ?????

Hi all

Have been waiting for the Caribbean 2011 cruises to go on sale. Went online this morning to check out what the itineraries were before deciding which one to do and I notice there are no free All Inclusive upgrades on any of the cruises.:eek:

The cost ranges from £98 on the Destiny Coral Islands/Caribbean Gems to £314 and £338 on the Thomson Dream for the other itineraries - 2 week cruises.

I have always found before, that the free upgrades are there when the cruises go on sale and then disappear after a while. What do you reckon they are doing????

Janet

I think it's disgusting there's no free AI. We have always booked over a year in advance to get the drinks package included. I've just priced a cruise on the Dream for Feb 2011 and including the Drinks package it will be £1867 each!!! Sorry but this is putting cruising out of our reach now.:mad:

Ann

I think it's disgusting there's no free AI. We have always booked over a year in advance to get the drinks package included. I've just priced a cruise on the Dream for Feb 2011 and including the Drinks package it will be £1867 each!!! Sorry but this is putting cruising out of our reach now.:mad:

Ann

Or pushing us into the arms of other cruise companies!!! :(

What I can't understand is why they can sell it for £98 on the Destiny but for £314 and £338 on the Dream. I would have thought the drinks all cost the same????

If they aren't going to offer a Free A/I then surely they could start them all off at £98.00????

Janet

Well if there's no free AI we might as well go on a different ship - might try Azura or a Royal Caribbean one. Let's face it the AI is a big incentive to go with Thomson's. I think they are making a big mistake here. There's no free premium seat upgrade either:mad:

What I can't understand is why they can sell it for £98 on the Destiny but for £314 and £338 on the Dream. I would have thought the drinks all cost the same????

If they aren't going to offer a Free A/I then surely they could start them all off at £98.00????

Janet

It's a bit cynical really - they're anticipating the Dream being popular so they're trying for as much as they can. :( £98 for two weeks is a good deal for two weeks on Destiny (granted - not the usual free offer for early booking) but the difference between that and the Dream can only be because they think they can get away with it - as you say, Janet surely the cost of AI to them is similar.

I hope they haven't misjudged it!! I'm going to have a look at the itineraries now - but don't think I'll be rushing to book at those prices - not much incentive really.

Hi Kruzseeka

I've printed off all the different itineraries so I can see what my OH fancies doing.

We did the Coral Islands/Caribbean Gems this year so were thinking of one of the other ones on the Dream.

However, if we can get an AI upgrade for £98 doing the same itinerary then that could sway us. This is actually less than we paid for the AI this year cos we missed the freebies and paid £298 each so the same cruise would cost us less overall.

We had such a brilliant time this year it wouldn't bother us to do the same itinerary cos we could just go to different places on the islands (and we love the Destiny).

I might pop into my local TA and see what they can offer - or phone one of the TV travel companies to see if they can do anything with the Free AI.

Thomson may well shoot themselves in the foot with the Dream if they continue in this way!!!!

Janet

Hi Kruzseeka

I've printed off all the different itineraries so I can see what my OH fancies doing.

We did the Coral Islands/Caribbean Gems this year so were thinking of one of the other ones on the Dream.

However, if we can get an AI upgrade for £98 doing the same itinerary then that could sway us. This is actually less than we paid for the AI this year cos we missed the freebies and paid £298 each so the same cruise would cost us less overall.

We had such a brilliant time this year it wouldn't bother us to do the same itinerary cos we could just go to different places on the islands (and we love the Destiny).

I might pop into my local TA and see what they can offer - or phone one of the TV travel companies to see if they can do anything with the Free AI.

Thomson may well shoot themselves in the foot with the Dream if they continue in this way!!!!

Janet

I agree with you entirely, Janet. We too did the two week Caribbean itinerary on the Destiny early this year and had a great time. I think the Caribbean suits the Destiny with the rather more 'al fresco' style pool deck and Lido restaurant. We could easily find other places to explore doing the same itinerary - it was fab and we'd welcome a second visit to explore other oarts of the isalnds. So we may well be thinking on the same lines as you. Good luck with your research - hope you manage to pick up a decent deal. :)

We are going on the Destiny in January and can't wait - we enjoyed our Med Cruise on her in June this year. I really can't see any incentive for booking early this year though.

Janet - if you find any good deals let us know, and i'll do the same, i'm trawling the net as we speak!!!

Ann

Hi steelerannie

The only incentive would be the AI for £98.00 as I'm sure this will increase over time. As I said we paid £298 each this year and I think for next year, if you missed the free AI, it was £338.

If I can't get any better deals at the week-end I'll probably go for the Destiny in March again.

Janet

We've had a flyer through the post today from First Choice with this offer:

P&O Azura 18th March 2011 14 nights, Direct flights from Manchester or East Midlands - visiting Barbados (overnight), St Lucia, St Maarten, Tortola and Tenerife - returning to Southampton.

Price: £999 plus £100 per couple onboard credit.

Makes the Dream look really expensive.

Ann

Hi Ann

This wouldn't appeal to me as I don't like being at sea more than the odd day. Also it doesn't visit many places in the Caribbean.

I priced up the back to back on the Destiny for March 2011 with a cabin upgrade to an outside on Deck 2/3 (I will pay the extra £35 for a Deck 3)and an all inclusive package and it was coming out at £3300.00 - £1650 each (cheaper than we paid this year).

Seems a lot more but you would be visiting a lot more places and wouldn't have to pay for drinks either.:rolleyes:

I think I'll stick with the Destiny at the moment.

Janet

We don't mind booking early if we get the A.I. free, but as it gets closer to departure date the cruise fare always comes down though you have to pay for your drinks. We have always thought that you probably end up paying about the same overall, we just like not having to think about the drinks cost while on board! If there is to be no A.I. incentive, there is nothing to encourage early booking. We'll just have to make the most of it next June on Celebration!

Carol x

Hi all:confused:

I think there is still an incentive with the AI package on the Destiny because although it is £98 at the moment(and not free like we are used to) it is bound to go up to match the ones on the Dream which are £314 for a 13 night/14 day cruise and £338 for a 14 night/15 day cruise.

It looks like I'm talking me and the OH into Destiny for 14 days same as we did this year!!! Not that I mind cos it was brill.:)

Janet

Hi all

Went into First Choice on Saturday to see what they could offer for the Caribbean in March 2011.

Initially they were £200 more expensive but when I showed them the on-line price they said they could match it. They also said that if I was going to book it on-line then to let them know and they would see what else they could throw in. IE buy one get one free on Worldwide Insurance worth £48 or the reserved seats worth £50 (which I think is a con but my OH would never forgive me if we ended up not sitting together - he has to grip my hand when taking off and I don't suppose anyone else would really appreciate that????:eek:) I know people say get there early to check in, but I have found they have usually allocated the seats before you arrive so it wouldn't make any difference.

If anyone else has had any luck with anyone else - say Portland or Thomas Cook, please let me know.

Thanks

Janet

Hi Berwyn

I think it's because the TA's don't always take into account the on line booking discounts unless you tell them. My First Choice took into account the first discount but not the £200 on line discount, but they decided they could take it off when I told them about it, so it just goes to show you should never book at a TA unless you try on line first.:confused:

Janet

Hi Janet,

My F. C. TA is very good, he always asks if we have got a price elsewhere and matches it. And they do occasional offers like on our cruise next month, where the cruise is the same price as the online one and they lay on return coach transport to the airport that saves us approx £130.

Berwyn

Priced it at Ta's yesterday, had no choice on dates cos there is only one flight from Newcastle. £3664 including A I , but none of the other upgrades we normally have. Really don't think l can justify that sort of money to the O H when it isn't for a special occasion. We paid a lot less for a C & S on the Destiny in March. Will keep an eye on prices!

I am looking at Xmas 2010. For 14 days over Christmas and new year on the dream would cost me £1900 per person WITHOUT AI upgrade.

Just looking at other companies, like Princess and NCL for instance and they are a lot cheaper :-(

Looks like I may be forced to go elsewhere this year :-(

• 2 weeks later...

We booked Destiny Xmas 2010 in March, which I'm understanding now is leaving it late lol....and the only drinks package we were offered was £300+, neither of us are big enough drinkers to warrant that expense so we turned it down. Didn't know AI is/was possibly free if you booked early enough.

How do you know how far in advance to look for cruises ?

Janet

This may be due to the fact that the Destiny is leased and the others arn't. I have been informed that this is why the AI drinks differ on the ships i.e. included Bombay saphire on destiny and not others etc...

Archived