Brilliance of the Seas vets: Will you return to Royal Caribbean?

jp45atcc

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet or not, but the folks currently on the Oct 25th cruise left a day late and because of that and some subsequent weather issues they have missed (I think) 4 ports. My parents and about 20 friends are on the ship now and while I don't have the details of which ports were missed. The communication I got from them was 4 ports missed but still having a good time despite it all. I think they are using all their OBC at the bar :rolleyes: I'm sure someone from the group will post better details sooner or later!

OMG thats awful - if you could keep us update i'd be grateful.

jj.....

Apart from claims which i have a letter which states any claims should be sent to Miami. I did receive a phonecall from RCCL saying claims could be sent to the UK office to.

There was also problems as the ship docked as people wanting to leave to catch flights got caught up with passengers wanting to go into town for dinner. In fact the harbour authority said they needed the deck cleared at one stage before they'd dock the ship. On top of that there wasn't any taxi's waiting for people desperated to get to the airport.

jj........

Seriously, there were not ANY? Not even one?

I know when I was in Barcelona, I couldn't find a cab that was not owned and operated by RCI. Those RCI nation of why not cabs were really the only cabs I saw when I was in Barcelona. In fact every port city that I have been to had RCI Nation of Why Not Cabs. Although I do remember when they were Iggy Pop cabs. Gosh those were sure fun times. Putting drugs in our ears. Why do I hear Don Henley and Glenn Fry singing Desperado? :D

jc

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet or not, but the folks currently on the Oct 25th cruise left a day late and because of that and some subsequent weather issues they have missed (I think) 4 ports. My parents and about 20 friends are on the ship now and while I don't have the details of which ports were missed. The communication I got from them was 4 ports missed but still having a good time despite it all. I think they are using all their OBC at the bar :rolleyes: I'm sure someone from the group will post better details sooner or later!

What a shame, we had heard that they would miss Nice and Florence, I wonder which others they missed. Next Med I will go a week or two earlier.Sounds like they are making the best of it though.

What a shame, we had heard that they would miss Nice and Florence, I wonder which others they missed. Next Med I will go a week or two earlier.Sounds like they are making the best of it though.

Just returned from the 10/25....10/26 actually brilliance cruise. We did indeed sail a day late and missed livorno, nice, santorini and naples. We made rome, athens, mykonos and kusadasi.

Just returned from the 10/25....10/26 actually brilliance cruise. We did indeed sail a day late and missed livorno, nice, santorini and naples. We made rome, athens, mykonos and kusadasi.

What was the reason why you missed Santorini and Naples? Was it weather related or is the ship not sailing at max speed due to the damage from the earlier cruise?

We are on the November 18th cruise and getting a little concerned. :o

I'm also joining the 18 November sailing and would appreciate you clarifying if Santorini and Naples were missed because of weather or the ship still having to curtail its speed.

Trust you had a great time regardless.

What was the reason why you missed Santorini and Naples? Was it weather related or is the ship not sailing at max speed due to the damage from the earlier cruise?

We are on the November 18th cruise and getting a little concerned. :o

Littlebrook farm said it was due to weather

Littlebrook farm said it was due to weather

Still working on more details but Santorini was missed due to high winds and inability to tender into the port. My friend Jen posted on Facebook something about hurricane force winds the day they were to be in Santorini. Based on that I would suspect both of the latter ports were weather related. I'm sure someone actually on the trip will give better info or I will post after talking to my parents when they get back to the states.

Initially they got $300 per cabin obc for the 1 day late start plus the hotel/transfer for the night they had to stay in Barcelona, not sure if any more was given for the missed ports.

Wow, 3 cruises in a row with major issues, the staff is going to need a vacation!!

Thats awful - were you late back to Barcelona ?

jj......

no they were back on time.

That's right. Still here in barcelona as i type this. Santorini and naples were missed because of weather. Santorini because winds and sea made tender ops impossible, and naples because of the fact that 80 mph headwinds reduced the speed of the ship to 14 knots. Naples to barcelona required 13 knots to arrive on time, so the captain skipped naples so as not to delay our arrival in spain. Yes, some compensation was offered for the delayed sailing date and missed ports... Depended on the price paid for cabin.

I can't imagine the port of Barcelona being without cabs. :rolleyes: Even if that were so, how is that RCI's fault? :confused:

2P.P1

We were on the 10/13 sailing and chose to stay on board for the night. When I looked out there were cabs lined up all the way down the cab ranks and RCCL laid on free shuttles to the airport every 15 mins ALL NIGHT LONG.

As for whether I'll sail with them again. Well I have 3 booked ahead for 2010 and we're looking at 2011 to see what we want to do.

We were BtoB from the 10/1 cruise which was when all the damage occured. Despite all the problems. we had a great time and I feel sorry for those just off who missed so many ports. We only ever missed one on 2 cruises and the weather on the first one up until that last night was glorious.

We were on the 10/13 sailing and chose to stay on board for the night. When I looked out there were cabs lined up all the way down the cab ranks and RCCL laid on free shuttles to the airport every 15 mins ALL NIGHT LONG.

As for whether I'll sail with them again. Well I have 3 booked ahead for 2010 and we're looking at 2011 to see what we want to do.

We were BtoB from the 10/1 cruise which was when all the damage occured. Despite all the problems. we had a great time and I feel sorry for those just off who missed so many ports. We only ever missed one on 2 cruises and the weather on the first one up until that last night was glorious.

Hey Sheila,

Yep were are deciding what to do next year, first time in 5 years I don't have a cruise booked.:eek:

I was on the same cruise and i enquired about a shuttle into town and they said none would be provided - i had a friend who got off once they had docked and waited over an hour for a taxi.

jj.......

I was on the same cruise and i enquired about a shuttle into town and they said none would be provided - i had a friend who got off once they had docked and waited over an hour for a taxi.

jj.......

I believe the shuttles were to get people to the airport not into town. There was quite a line for taxis so I'm not surprised there was a wait.

jj.......

The shuttles were only to the airport and ran from 9pm to the 7am or so.

I was originally booked on the 10-25 sailing but changed to the 10-15 on Carival Dream. We missed Barcelona due to high winds and rough seas. The

CD and the Captain kept us informed of what was going on at all times. Came on the PA several times to apologize for the missed port. No compensation was offered and non expected.

Other than being chilly the reat of the cruise was fine. I changed cruises cause I got mad at the changes to Diamond level of the C&A club. Glad I did because I saved a bunch of money and didn't miss but one port.

Still love RCI though.

I was originally booked on the 10-25 sailing but changed to the 10-15 on Carival Dream. We missed Barcelona due to high winds and rough seas. The

CD and the Captain kept us informed of what was going on at all times. Came on the PA several times to apologize for the missed port. No compensation was offered and non expected.

Other than being chilly the reat of the cruise was fine. I changed cruises cause I got mad at the changes to Diamond level of the C&A club. Glad I did because I saved a bunch of money and didn't miss but one port.

Still love RCI though.

Wow we were in Barcelona the 10-13th and the weather was gorgeous, shows how quick it can turn. How was the Dream, I am going on a one nighter next week.

You will like the Dream. It is not as glitzy as other CCL ships. Food and service were outstanding. Entertainment was very good and more to choose from than RCI.

The Dream is a little too big for me, I prefer Radiance class.

Ship design is like othe CCL and Princess ships. You can't just take an elevator to the floor you want and then walk either for or aft. You need to go up or down one floor the walk either for or aft to get into the dining rooms.

CCL could take lessons from RCI on ship design and RCI could take lessons from CCL on food variety and entertainment choices.

Archived