Brilliance of the Seas vets: Will you return to Royal Caribbean?

jp45atcc

There was a ship at Santorini the day we were supposed to come in....no other cruise ships were due in port that day, so it could have been a very large ferry.

One of my biggest problems with the 25th cruise was bypassing of Naples due to storms and not being able to go to any other ports according to the Captain or we would not make it to Barcelona on time - then fast forward a day and we are traveling at about 10 knots or lower and then staying just a mile off of Barcelona 12+ hours prior to when we are scheduled to be docking.

Secondly I also agree with one of the other posters about leaving earlier on the 26th. We left after 7pm when we could have left much earlier. RCL had put everyone up in hotels the night of the 25th, had already registered/checked in those of us who had to go to the port on the 25th to be given a hotel. Frankly there is/was no reason we could not have left by 2-3 pm.

I suspect it had to do with port schedules, tug boat schedules, tides or something of that nature. A 90,000 ton cruise ship can't just leave port when it wants.

Excuse me you don't know for sure there was nothing wrong with the ship !!!

We were told we'd get port fee's back for Cannes still waiting - i still say the Cpt was avoiding rougher weather because he was worried about the integrity of the new portholes

jj......

and I still say that he hugged the coast to avoid the rough weather so we wouldn't all be sick or get injured. Did you see CNN? Did you see the storms they were showing? If we had gone the normal route we would have gone into hurricane force winds. Been there, done that and don't very much like to repeat it. There is no mystery!!

Does that mean we're not allowed to ? or was he being pressured from above - because believe me in my past line of work i know it goes on - pressure to keep to a schedule !!

jj.......

You can question it, but proclaiming opinions as expertise in such matters is questionable.

All i know was that it was a crappy cruise. missing 4 port due to so call weather and getting stuck on the boat for 7 days. Not to mention how crappy RCI has handle this whole situation, with the delay, miss port, and free extra day at sea, delay luggage, showing up at the dock on 10/25 and waiting several hours for nothing, paying for a 12 day cruise and getting 11 days, seapass issues, account on seapass issues.

As for Santorini, I did not say it was dock in port. Read again.

As for Naples.... spoke to some people on the Celebrity X cruise and they said they made it to their port on 11/5. Same day we missed it. hmmmm....

The food, the shows, and the senior personnel were not up to the standards we had come to expect from RCI.

Few of us, I'm sure, have the experience on which to base an evaluation of the captain's actions. I certainly do believe he had at heart the safety and comfort of hundreds of people. And I feel that he got plenty of "guidance" from corporate types who don't know beans about anything but corporate welfare. The above assessment of senior personnel (Is senior an overstatement?) whoever they were, fits for the Oct. 13-25 cruise. I'd like to see, in all this mess, a public commitment by RC to review the three affected cruises. As for me, I simply pass over RC cruise offerings for now. Brilliance of the Seas is a wonderful ship when things go smoothly. It needs personnel who can handle things at other times as well. Amateur Hour should be over.

The food, the shows, and the senior personnel were not up to the standards we had come to expect from RCI.

Few of us, I'm sure, have the experience on which to base an evaluation of the captain's actions. I certainly do believe he had at heart the safety and comfort of hundreds of people. And I feel that he got plenty of "guidance" from corporate types who don't know beans about anything but corporate welfare. The above assessment of senior personnel (Is senior an overstatement?) whoever they were, fits for the Oct. 13-25 cruise. I'd like to see, in all this mess, a public commitment by RC to review the three affected cruises. As for me, I simply pass over RC cruise offerings for now. Brilliance of the Seas is a wonderful ship when things go smoothly. It needs personnel who can handle things at other times as well. Amateur Hour should be over.

I had a chance to talk to a very senior staff person on board, and they advised that one-quarter of the Brillance's staff (and all other RCL ships I assume) was sent to the Oasis a few months ago...and they had to send good staff, not the one's they wanted to get rid of. Subsequently a quarter of the staff now on board is very new and still in training.

OMG - will be on Brilliance 12th December for a B2B over Christmas/New Year. Did a B2B on her earlier this year and it was great - excellent food etc. Let's hope she gets back on 'an even keel':D by then.

Came off Indie today. The previous Brilliance GSM is now on Indie.

We knew we were sailing into a storm on leaving Soham. Didn't expect Force 11 - worst weather Indie has experienced apparently.

During the first night at about 3.00 am there was a huge bang. Apparently, a wave 125' crashed way up over the Bridge!! Gave them a big fright!! We didn't wake up:D:D

Weather was not good - not even in the Canaries.

Oh, and putting eating stations on the Promenade when a jewellery sale etc. was in session, wasn't good planning. Impossible to walk through without pushing and shoving. Most people thought the ship too big - but IMHO it was more to do with poor management of space etc.

Management seemed to miss the fact that over 3,000 people trying to get into the Windjammer at 1.30pm lunchtimes whilst in ports, was going to cause aggravation. The many Pandos on board said they would not return to RCCL. Not a good start to Indie being ported in Southampton year round. Was told to put it on the questionnaire. Should have been dealt with immediately!!

And on the few seadays when the MDR was open, it was described as 'a Bistro for a quick bite'. Not exactly..........a wonderful salad bar with chefs available to make a tossed salad to individual requirements and an excellent extensive lunch menu. So many people didn't go there. Nor did most understand it was only open on sea days - Pando Dining Room is always open according to many passengers.

This was a 'British immersion' cruise. Couldn't see any difference apart from some traditional British dishes. The food was really very good.

Fortunately, we had use of the private lounges and collected sandwiches at noon and ate our lunch later on in one of the lounges. The WJ was just such a zoo. Lots of wheelchairs and pushchairs didn't help matters!!

OMG - will be on Brilliance 12th December for a B2B over Christmas/New Year. Did a B2B on her earlier this year and it was great - excellent food etc. Let's hope she gets back on 'an even keel':D by then.

Came off Indie today. The previous Brilliance GSM is now on Indie.

We knew we were sailing into a storm on leaving Soham. Didn't expect Force 11 - worst weather Indie has experienced apparently.

During the first night at about 3.00 am there was a huge bang. Apparently, a wave 125' crashed way up over the Bridge!! Gave them a big fright!! We didn't wake up:D:D

Weather was not good - not even in the Canaries.

Oh, and putting eating stations on the Promenade when a jewellery sale etc. was in session, wasn't good planning. Impossible to walk through without pushing and shoving. Most people thought the ship too big - but IMHO it was more to do with poor management of space etc.

Management seemed to miss the fact that over 3,000 people trying to get into the Windjammer at 1.30pm lunchtimes whilst in ports, was going to cause aggravation. The many Pandos on board said they would not return to RCCL. Not a good start to Indie being ported in Southampton year round. Was told to put it on the questionnaire. Should have been dealt with immediately!!

And on the few seadays when the MDR was open, it was described as 'a Bistro for a quick bite'. Not exactly..........a wonderful salad bar with chefs available to make a tossed salad to individual requirements and an excellent extensive lunch menu. So many people didn't go there. Nor did most understand it was only open on sea days - Pando Dining Room is always open according to many passengers.

This was a 'British immersion' cruise. Couldn't see any difference apart from some traditional British dishes. The food was really very good.

Fortunately, we had use of the private lounges and collected sandwiches at noon and ate our lunch later on in one of the lounges. The WJ was just such a zoo. Lots of wheelchairs and pushchairs didn't help matters!!

So, will my cruise be an immersion cruise? Are you going to be around when I mentioned a while back?

jc

I too was on the disaster of Oct 26th on Brilliance of the seas-

Point 1: The ship lost 4 ports- not entirely due to weather- but due to prior damage- we had to go slow- if not damaged- the ship could have [as Celebrity's did- go to Naples!!!!

Point 2- the 25% discount -was never received- and if you read between the lines- it is off the port chages-not the full price we paid- and that is an insult!

Point 3- the "were are not responsible clause", according to the International attorney at the meeting is not binding

Point 4- why didn't they at least try to give us better activities- I do not think learning how to fold napkins comes under the title of entertainment.

Point 5- they knew about the bad weather over 4 days in advance, and did not tell us anything- esp about the prior damage and how it would slow us down- I remember being told how the "Weather looked fine" for our trip-LIE!!!!!!!!

Sorry if anyone missed the meeting- you can join the complain letter by emailing:anna@kaperoniscolarusso.com.

So, will my cruise be an immersion cruise? Are you going to be around when I mentioned a while back?

jc

No, yours is not a British immersion cruise as far as I am aware. We are around - I have e-mailed yah:D But the ship travelled brilliantly - worst weather she has been in apparently.

Yours should be better as you have few port days - and won't be comparing it to PANDO:D:D The Diamond Lounge is far nicer than the CL and Mel the Concierge in the DL is delightful. Didn't take to Gershwin at all in the CL. Oh, and he turned the coffee machine off in the evenings and until breakfast, so our friends in the suites didn't have 24-hour coffee like we did. They missed their early morning coffee after their run. Another Concierge doing just what he wants to:eek::eek: The GSM said it should be on and she is his boss - go figure. But we had the DL machine so we were all right Jack.

We have three weeks coming up on the Brilliance - hope they have their act together. To ruin service on their other ships in order to staff Oasis could be a huge mistake.

Point 1: The ship lost 4 ports- not entirely due to weather- but due to prior damage- we had to go slow- if not damaged- the ship could have [as Celebrity's did- go to Naples!!!!

Point 2- the 25% discount -was never received- and if you read between the lines- it is off the port chages-not the full price we paid- and that is an insult!

Point 3- the "were are not responsible clause", according to the International attorney at the meeting is not binding

Point 4- why didn't they at least try to give us better activities- I do not think learning how to fold napkins comes under the title of entertainment.

Point 5- they knew about the bad weather over 4 days in advance, and did not tell us anything- esp about the prior damage and how it would slow us down- I remember being told how the "Weather looked fine" for our trip-LIE!!!!!!!!

Sorry if anyone missed the meeting- you can join the complain letter by emailing:anna@kaperoniscolarusso.com.

Keep us updated please.

jj......

On the October 13th cruise we were cooking along at 21-23+ knots when the weather allowed. I am unsure, except for baseless rumors, why these assertions that it was caused by any damage to the ship keep coming up? Since we were going quite fast, when the weather allowed I don't know why this keeps coming up ? Are you claiming the ship suffered further damage at some point?

On the October 13th cruise we were cooking along at 21-23+ knots when the weather allowed. I am unsure, except for baseless rumors, why these assertions that it was caused by any damage to the ship keep coming up? Since we were going quite fast, when the weather allowed I don't know why this keeps coming up ? Are you claiming the ship suffered further damage at some point?

Why don't you ask RCI why the cruise 10/26 - 11/6 was cooking 10 knots for 3.5 days at the end of the cruise. maybe the engine gave out or something, after all it is a ship and these things happen. The weather wasn't bad at all. no rain, light wind.

Why don't you ask RCI why the cruise 10/26 - 11/6 was cooking 10 knots for 3.5 days at the end of the cruise. maybe the engine gave out or something, after all it is a ship and these things happen. The weather wasn't bad at all. no rain, light wind.

If it was the engine then the next cruise wouldn't have left, again I think they did the slow thing at that point so you wouldn't be delayed and not make the flights out of Barcelona.

If it was the engine then the next cruise wouldn't have left, again I think they did the slow thing at that point so you wouldn't be delayed and not make the flights out of Barcelona.

maybe something happen during the the 10/26-11/5 cruise. we were going pretty fast when we left barcelona heading to rome. still going fast heading to mykonos.

I think something happen between mykonos and turkey because after turkey we skipped santorini and made athens and after athens we skipped naples and headed back to barcelona.

Believe me we weren't delayed....as I've said previously we sat a mile off of Barcelona for about 12 hours prior to docking the morning of the 6th.

Believe me we weren't delayed....as I've said previously we sat a mile off of Barcelona for about 12 hours prior to docking the morning of the 6th.

No, what I meant is that they didn't want to take the chance of you being delayed, so you got there early. They didn't want the same thing that happened to our cruise to happen to yours.

Actually we were told by Gordon on one one of our many days at sea instead of at port that three windows were damaged and even one was blown out with the furniture broken and the TV blown down the hallway. Those windows were still boarded up while we were sailing - so no they were not fixed. The best was to describe this cruise for me was very disappointing.

I was also on the 10/26 cruise and stumbled upon this thread. Some of these comments are puzzling, while others appear to be right on. Since the cruise was our honeymoon, while very disappointing from an itinerary standpoint, obviously we still made the best of it and it did not ruin our trip. We actually were scheduled all along to board in Nice on day 2, so obviously this change in itinerary was even a bigger problem for us. It was our first cruise so I am no expert, but there were some things from a business standpoint RC could have handled much better:

1. the communication from the ship was horrible. I knew we were not going to Naples before it was even announced, simply because of the path we were taking. You don't go to Naples by heading south of Sicily. We noticed this early in the day. It was not announced we were missing Naples til almost 9pm towards the end of dinner.

2. while most logical people agree safety is #1 and due to weather, etc the itinerary is subject to change, change doesn't automatically mean just being at sea. if we had to travel due west into the wind and not turn to go to Naples, fine. But there were about 20 different ports on the same track that could have been stopped at instead. for those who say there was not enough time, that is because we were going 7-8 knots for days. clearly they did not want a repeat of getting back a day late, so they basically gave themselves an extra day cushion to get back, at the expense of another port we could have stopped at. Even the CD mentioned a normal speed is closer to 18 knots, and in one of his explanations noted that we had to slow all the way down to 13 due to the 80mph winds to explain missing Naples. yet somehow, we had to slow to even half that speed for the last two days at sea, again with no explanation or clear reason as to why.

3. there is a difference between a contractual obligation and customer service. they may not HAVE to do anything, but when you state time and time again that this is the most unusual cruise you've ever been a part of, how disappointing it is, etc., then you may want to do something to take care of your customers. instead their responses of "read your contract" basically was a total piss off to their customers. an usual circumstance called for an unusual response, not oh well, too bad for you guys...stuff happens.

All in all, to give a $300 (total for 2 ppl) on board credit for having the cruise be one day shorter and missing the first two ports did not add up. missing another 2 ports (4 of 8) and spending 7 days at sea on a 11 day cruise and being offered 25% off your NEXT CRUISE made even less sense. The cruise line has you in a lose-lose since being your stuck on the ship all day for more days, naturally you'll spend more money on drinks, etc, because there is only so much you can do on a ship.

I never heard of this meeting that took place on board, but if it was anything like dealing with the relations desk probably didn't do anything but aggravate people further anyway. Hopefully our travel ins covers the $1k each we had to pay to get to Barcelona from Nice and maybe they'll cover part of the cruise cost too, but if anyone does know of anything RC actually has done worthwhile, please let me know at rtoscanojr@verizon.net

Well said Rockt21! We were quite disappointed in the way in which things were handled by RCCL on this cruise. I heard from one of the crew members that their cabins, below the damaged ones, had been knee deep in water, and they had feared the ship would sink. The water was pumped out and windows were boarded up for the next 2 cruises. We saw the soldering sparks as we waited to disembark on Nov 6th. We had plenty of time to watch as we couldn't clear the ship due to their computers losing our credit card information!

Well said Rockt21! We were quite disappointed in the way in which things were handled by RCCL on this cruise. I heard from one of the crew members that their cabins, below the damaged ones, had been knee deep in water, and they had feared the ship would sink. The water was pumped out and windows were boarded up for the next 2 cruises. We saw the soldering sparks as we waited to disembark on Nov 6th. We had plenty of time to watch as we couldn't clear the ship due to their computers losing our credit card information!

Well i don't think she was going to sink - but as i said before the blue-boys from what i'm led to believe did an amazing job and put themselves in harms way saving passengers.

I hope RCCL reward them.

jj.........

As for Naples.... spoke to some people on the Celebrity X cruise and they said they made it to their port on 11/5. Same day we missed it. hmmmm....

Where was the Celebrity ship coming from? Was that coming from Greece as well, from what I gather, the problem wasn't the weather IN Naples, but moreso the seas on teh way from Greece to Naples.....

If the Celebrity ship came from somewhere else, say Barcelona, that would be like traffic on the southbound interstate making you three hjours late, but the northbound lane runs perfectly.

Archived