Berlin or no?

PokerDave

We are in a slightly different position from the previous posters. We have a cruise that departs from and returns to Copenhagen. We'll have 1 1/2 days in Copenhagen before the cruise and 3 days after the cruise, we were thinking about making a trip to Berlin after the cruise. (We'll have to return to Copenhagen for our flight home.)

It looks like we have the choice of a train trip about 7 hours long or a flight about an hour long. Unless the train trip is particularly scenic, we'll probably choose the flight since our time is limited.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to stay, what to see or do? We'd be interested in at least seeing the Berlin Wall and checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate. Is Berlin worth the trip? Anyone think we'd be better staying in Copenhagen the extra days (we think we want to see as much as we can, including other cities)? Any city closer/better we should try to see instead?

Thanks!

We are in a slightly different position from the previous posters. We have a cruise that departs from and returns to Copenhagen. We'll have 1 1/2 days in Copenhagen before the cruise and 3 days after the cruise, we were thinking about making a trip to Berlin after the cruise. (We'll have to return to Copenhagen for our flight home.)

It looks like we have the choice of a train trip about 7 hours long or a flight about an hour long. Unless the train trip is particularly scenic, we'll probably choose the flight since our time is limited.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to stay, what to see or do? We'd be interested in at least seeing the Berlin Wall and checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate. Is Berlin worth the trip? Anyone think we'd be better staying in Copenhagen the extra days (we think we want to see as much as we can, including other cities)? Any city closer/better we should try to see instead?

Thanks!

Save the time and fly!

It's the cheapest way to get to Berlin.

Alternatively: take the night train from Malmö (opposite Swedish side over the Sound) to Berlin.

The train takes too much time: If you like to see a lot of farming country and sometimes some water and like to experience a ferry ride with the train you are right. In Hamburg the train does not use the most scenic train line in the city as it change the direction. And the section from Hamburg to Berlin is not very much scenic as well. In Berlin the train will go into a tunnel before it reaches all the attraction.

Total travel time: 6.42 hrs (leaving Copenhagen at 7.45 hrs and arrives in Berlin 14.27 hrs).

Berlin has so many hotels and it's a question of budget and preferences.

I would check following booking engines:

http://www.hotel.de

http://www.hrs.de

Check hotels in the district Mitte (Mostly 5-digit Postal Codes starting 101..). Very central.

If you like to experience a mixture of communism architecture you can go Park Inn at Alexanderplatz. It's not too expensive.

If you like to have it very modern and "in" and very central I would go Radisson Blu.

If you like to be in the best of the best take the Adlon at Brandenburg Gate.

There are so many hotels for every range of budget and preference.

You can visit my blog to get some inspiratios for Berlin, Potsdam and Sachsenhausen.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks! You've given me some great places to start, I'll be checking out your blog.

Also, from what I could see it seems the flights are the same price or even cheaper than the train, so it makes sense to save time and money.

Thanks! You've given me some great places to start, I'll be checking out your blog.

Also, from what I could see it seems the flights are the same price or even cheaper than the train, so it makes sense to save time and money.

The best is to check the flight prices as soon as possible:

One-way are cheap on http://www.flysas.com.

If you want to speculate with train you must wait until 3 monthes before your day of travel and check on

http://www.bahn.de

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived