your must bring items

evgal/nj

My battery operated chinese lantern. I can use it for a night light, a decoration, or for atmosphere, since you cannot bring real candles. These fold flat, and I had no problem finding something that they could hang off of. Helped finding the bathroom in the middle of the night. :p

I like this idea. :)

I have to bring at least four books. I ran out on a previous cruise, could not find anything in the limited library and the books for sale at the gift shop were horrible.. then the gift shop sales person was teasing me because he thought I was not supposed to be concentrating on books on a cruise! But I love reading, especially on the balcony where I can watch the waves, and down in the coffee bar in the mornings.. and I go through books rather quickly, and am somewhat picky about what I am reading.

Well, I cruise in four days and I have four books, and a fifth for the trip down!

I too am an avid reader and for me it's part of 'relaxation' - and I don't feel comfortable bringing library books with me on the cruise so I usually visit 2nd hand bookstores, the 'for sale' cart at the library, and value village (salvation army type stores) where I can pick up paperbacks for about $1 a piece....I read them then leave them on the ship (donate them to the ship's library or for room steward) - no worries if they get lost or wet or ? and it lightens the load for the trip home (and yes I have a fancy portable digital luggage scale which is a must for me to travel with as I am a notorious overpacker and find it challenging to get those bags under 50 lbs!)

i know what you mean about reading on the balcony, i'm a very early riser & dh sleeps in so i usually have 3-4 hrs to my self, its amazing how many books i can read during a cruise without the phone ringing,ect. lol

today i went to a flea market & found a table with FREE BOOKS!!!!!

there were actually 3 books by authors i read!

karen

This thread is awesome! :) We are leaving on our very first cruise, with our 7 & 10 year old kids, on 12/6...on the Glory. I've started a list of must-haves. What is the story with the over the door organizer? What do you put in there??

Keep the great tips coming!! :D:D

This thread is awesome! :) We are leaving on our very first cruise, with our 7 & 10 year old kids, on 12/6...on the Glory. I've started a list of must-haves. What is the story with the over the door organizer? What do you put in there??

You put anything and everything in the organizer! There isn't a lot of counter space, so it's a great place to put your sunglasses, hair ties, really whatever will fit! :)

we hung ours on the outside of the closet door. some people put them on the bathroom door, I think. Just depends on how your cabin is laid out. Don't buy a big expensive one. A cheap one from the Dollar Store that has 10 or 12 pockets. I stuck my travel hairdryer in there, the man's electric shaver, sunscreen, extension cords(that we didn't use) I actually put my extra shoes in there, too.

We tried to be neat, but by the last day, our cabin was pretty messy and it was just the two of us. I can't imagine what it would be like with 4 people!

We just got back from my first cruise and the man's first cruise in 9 years. We took a lot of suggestions from posters here and wound up with stuff we didn't need after all. It all depends on the individuals, and I'm a "better have it and not need it than need it and not have it" person, especially the first time around.

We took a power strip and extension cord. Did not use them at all. Plugged in the hair dryer when I needed it, then put it away. He used the plug at night for his C-Pap machine. Had the battery charger for the camera batteries, but didn't need it. Cell phones were turned off and locked in the safe till we got back to Galveston, no need to charge them till we got in the car. Took the small netbook, but didn't want to pay for internet at sea, so it was turned off and locked up 99% of the time.

Several people suggested a small fan. I took one, but the cabin was usually colder than it needed to be, so we didn't use that, either. Of course, we sailed at the end of October. If we were sailing in July, we might have needed it.

I took 12 sodas and about 12 bottles of water. Needed more water and less soda. We took a soft-side insulated cooler that folded down and went in a duffle bag with the drinks, which we checked with the luggage. Took a couple of kitchen trash bags, one lined the cooler and was kept filled with ice. Dumped it out on the last night, packed back up and checked with the luggage.

Everyone says, more money, less clothes. I planned my wardrobe down to the last tank top. I wore everything I took at least once, and a few things, like my one pair of jeans, I wore several times. I could have used a couple more short sleeved t-shirts. Yes, they have a laundry, but who wants to take time to wash clothes?

I did not have wheeled carry-on bags. I will next time. Those suckers look small enough to carry around, but after about 30 minutes, I would have maimed someone for a rolling duffle.:D

Keep your camera WITH you, don't leave it in your cabin! I missed some good pictures because I left the camera in our room and was too lazy to go back down to R-Aft to get it.:rolleyes:

(Some people do know how to travel light. When we were in line for customs, there was a family in front of us, mom, dad, and two little guys about 2 and 5. Youngest was in a stroller with a small amount of stuff in the basket underneath. Mom pushed the stroller, was not carrying any bags. Dad was pulling 2 medium size rolling suitcases, each had a small bag attached. That was it. Four small bags for two adults and two kids on a 5 night cruise. I don't know how they did it.)

My girlfriend uses her organizer for jewelry and medication you dont have to dig around for when you need it- because the bathrooms are a bit small, it is nice having some storage where you can see everything at a glance.

great suggestions!

i think i'll get another shoe organizer, one for the b.r & one for the closet!we'll be doing a 21 day ta next yr. i can see one in the closet would be great! i just might put shoes in it !!! lol

bathroom deodorizer is a must!

i put rumrunners on my xmas list lol

i agree more money less clothes, i try but @ the last minute i can't decide & start throwing things in the suitcase. last cruise I made a list of everthing & didn't wear or use, i hope i have the courage to leave all that STUFF home......also hope to win the lottery, lol

karen

You have all convinced me I need to get the organizer. LOL! :D I'm going to add it to my list right now. I'm going to try my very best to not overpack...but usually do. I mean, don't you usually wear a bathing suit during the day for the most part anyway? That should cut down on the clothes! ;)

• 2 months later...

Relayer:

I saw on your list of cruises that you have been on the Valor many times. We are sailing on April 4th our of Miami on the Valor. I was just wondering if you had any hints or tips for us. We have two families coming with us with one of them being first time cruises.

Thanks

Teresa

• 3 weeks later...
Relayer:

I saw on your list of cruises that you have been on the Valor many times. We are sailing on April 4th our of Miami on the Valor. I was just wondering if you had any hints or tips for us. We have two families coming with us with one of them being first time cruises.

Thanks

Teresa

Tess,

Just picked this up....sorry for the late reply. My only tip or hint would be to prepare to have a great time on a really nice ship. You guessed it...Valor is our favorite and really the Conquest ships in general.

We like to get to the port early, 10:30 ish, so we can board fairly early and let the games begin. Is your booking number linked with your sailing friends? That will enable you to be assigned at dinner together. We usually drop by the MDR on embarkation day just to check our table assignment and location.

Well you have got me started! Were on the March 7 Valor sailing so we're at about 40 days now.

Happy sailing and drop a post if you have any specific questions.

Sounds odd, but we take a few large binder clips to secure a towel to the chairs/lounge chairs on the balcony.

Post it notes for leaving family/room steward notes.

Most important: A good attitude! Relax ... your on VACATION !

Archived