Electrical current in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and in Santiago, Chile

Sun City Allan & Sharo

I have a breathing machine for my asthma, and while I rarely have to use it, I'd like to be prepared in case I do. Does anyone know what the wall socket situation is in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and in Santiago, Chile? We will be in hotels for a few nights in both of those cities. Will I need to visit Radio Shack for a converter or two? Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a breathing machine for my asthma, and while I rarely have to use it, I'd like to be prepared in case I do. Does anyone know what the wall socket situation is in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and in Santiago, Chile? We will be in hotels for a few nights in both of those cities. Will I need to visit Radio Shack for a converter or two? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rio: 127v, most wall sockets in hotels are dual: 2 flats or 2 rounds.

In Santiago, the voltage is 220V. Unless your breathing machine is dual voltage-110/220-not only will you need an assortment of plugs to accommodate all the different plugs in SA, but you will need a 220 to 110 inverter/transformer or you will ruin what ever you plug in that is US standard. US standard 110 hair dryers last less than 10 minutes until they are burned to a crisp.

I haven't stayed in Rio, but in many other parts of Brazil where I have stayed (in 5 star hotels) you will need a converter. The good news is that if you forget yours, the hotel usually will have one.

Archived