Bringing Your Own Wine

MerrylandCruiser

According to the rules, you may bring one bottle of champagne or wine aboard per guest. If consumed in the restaurant then a corkage charge of $15 applies.

On the other hand, passengers can bring rather more if they wish. Stories of a case of champagne are certainly known to me, and I for one have often taken on more than one bottle of wine - normally at least one Champagne and also a bottle of Eiswein, the latter for the restaurant. I have never been asked to pay corkage.

But then wine is my biggest single expense of board normally. It would not be good business for the sommelier to upset me.

From reading the terms and conditions, it looks like Cunard lets you bring your own wine and champagne on board (unlike other cruise lines). Is this true? Is there a limit per passenger? How about beer?

There are other cruise lines that also allow you to bring your own wine:

-NCL - will charge a $15 corkage fee upon embarkation

-RCI and Celebrity - I believe 1 or 2 bottles per person at embarkation

-Princess and HAL - As much as you can haul.

Not sure about the lux lines such as Crystal or Seabourn.

We hauled 5 bottles of wine and a vintage Tat on the QE2 in 2000. No problem at all and the corkage was $18, plus I tipped the sommelier as I did want decanting.

When we go east to west next year I am going to repeat. I could not afford to buy the dinner wine my wife and I will be having off the QM2 wine list and as I recall they are not big on new world wines, which we prefer.

Enjoy your trip and bring good juice :-)

We completed a 6 weeks segment in March on the QM2 during this time we took on board 5 dozen bottles of wine which we consumed on our balcony with lunch etc We never took it from the cabin we purchased wine in the dinning room and bars (Im still sure that our bar bill was probably larger than many of the passengers so Cunard still made a good profit from us)

We took 3 or 4 bottles on board with us for our TA in April. Posters on here kindly advised us on good places to buy wine in NY and we drank it before dinner, or at lunch in our cabin. We also bought wine with dinner on board and found a very nice Aussie Riesling which we thoroughly enjoyed.

So all you guys who happily pay a few thousand for the suites mess around carting a few bottles of plonk onboard to save a pittance...right:rolleyes:

Firstly, didn't have a suite and didn't pay a few grand!

Second, I like to buy local wherever I am, and it seemed a fun idea to buy 3 or 4 bottles of US wine in the US. We actually took 1 home with us which we didn't get round to drinking.

I'm not a cheapskate - as you would know if you saw our bar bill!. I was merely offering my experience in response to the OP, which you don't seem to be doing.

So all you guys who happily pay a few thousand for the suites mess around carting a few bottles of plonk onboard to save a pittance...right:rolleyes:

Not in my case. Cunard no longer have Eiswein on the wine list, and my wife won't drink Château d'Yquem. So I have to take an Eiswein with us.

Archived