Good place to eat in Ensenada near the ship

andynapril

We'll be in Ensenada for the day. We've been to Ensenada several times & weren't even sure if we wanted to get off the ship, but we'll be with some friends who would like to get off briefly. We were thinking of getting some good Mexican food/tacos. Close to the ship terminal would be preferred. We're not interested in Papas & Beer or any touristy places like that. Something very casual, but good food. Does anyone know of anything like that?

We go to El Charro. It is across the street from Papas & Beer on Mateo Lopez. It has rotisserie chicken and tortilla makers in the window. We have been there 5 times and it has always been good. We have gotten the 1/2 chicken, enchiladas, the chicken in either mole or pipian sauce.

I'll second El Haciendo del Charro. It's on Avenida Lopez. Once you are on the main street it's about 2-3 blocks past the McDonald's. Between Ave Gastelum and Ave Ruiz. It is about a 10-15 minute walk from the dock. Six of us ate, and drank, for around $40 American. They do take $US. The guacamole is very good.

There is a Sonrisa Market up Ave Gastellum near Ave Tercera and a Bakery is across the street. For something really special, and authentic, on Ave Ruiz just past Hussong's is a Paleta store. Paletas are Mexican Popsicles and they are very good. We like the strawberry, pineapple and pistachio ones. They run about a dollar.

Here is a map of Ensenada. The restuarant is located between Ave Ruiz and Ave Gastelum. Near where the two gas stations are marked on the map.

http://www.advantagemexico.com/ensenada/images/ensenada_map.pdf

We visited Ensenada three times while on the Monarch before she left for the East Coast.

The first time we didn't get off the ship as the smell was just horrible.

The second time we went to Papas and Beers. The food and beverages were good however the bathrooms were small and gross.

The 3rd time we went to El Haciendo del Charro. While I was in the bathroom my husband was served chips and salsa -- a second later a cockroach crawled out of the chip basket -- we left immediately.

###

We visited Ensenada three times while on the Monarch before she left for the East Coast.

The second time we went to Papas and Beers. The food and beverages were good however the bathrooms were small and gross.

The 3rd time we went to El Haciendo del Charro. While I was in the bathroom my husband was served chips and salsa -- a second later a cockroach crawled out of the chip basket -- we left immediately.

###

If that had happened to me, I would be grossed out too. But luckily that has never happened while we have eaten there. Don't forget that you could get a cockroach in your food at a 5 star restaurant in the states too.

At least you went to a free bathroom!:D

• 4 weeks later...

###

Oh my gosh! That is disgusting, but somehow I wonder if you shouldn't be surprised by that sort of thing in Mexico.... hmmm.

I totally forgot I started this thread. Thanks for the good information.

Anybody have any other ideas............

Thanks!

We'll be in Ensenada for the day. We've been to Ensenada several times & weren't even sure if we wanted to get off the ship, but we'll be with some friends who would like to get off briefly. We were thinking of getting some good Mexican food/tacos. Close to the ship terminal would be preferred. We're not interested in Papas & Beer or any touristy places like that. Something very casual, but good food. Does anyone know of anything like that?

Im not sure where the ship terminal is at in Ensenada, but as a teen would visit ensenada often to visit cousins...the only thing i ever ate in ensenada are the fish and shrimp tacos, the ones at the fish market were awesome. yeah it doesn't smell the best, it is a fish market, we'd go out there get our name on rice eat some tacos check out the really old seal and make it a day. They have these tacos at the blowhole too but my fav's were always the ones at the market. It would be nice if the ship would be closer to Puerto Nuevo not very far from ensenada, great lobster plates for about 20 bucks and they come with beans and homemade tortillas.

Archived