St. Maarten - Divi Little Bay Resort

smceown

I posted this on the Ports of Call board - but it isn't very active.

Carnival's website lists this as an excursion - however I just had the tours and prices emailed to me and it was not included. I realize you can get there on your own by taxi, I am just wondering if this place is still open to the public or has something changed?

Has anyone been there recently that can confirm that we can just take a taxi and spend a few hours at this resort beach? Maybe you could also give me any prices and advise me if this is a good place to go! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We booked thru the ship b/c included w/ the booking was transportation, lunch, 2 drinks, chairs and use of the pools as well as the beach. I had read a post from a woman who lives in St. Maarten and she said that if you are not a resort guest, you indeed CAN use their beaches, but not their pools. I figure that by the time I added up the cost of a cab, drinks for 2 people, lunch for two, and chair rental for 2, it would add up to pretty much the same.

Which tour on RCI is the Divi Bay resort? I see they have 2 beach excursions. How much beach time do you get? Has anyone been on the RCI tour? How about your "own" tour? How much did it cost on your own for a taxi, etc?

Thanks.

you may want to check Carnival.com now. I don't know if this is a new thing or not, but I was able to not only check out the excursions but book mine online as well (just last night), and the Divi Little Bay Resort was listed (at $38 pp, FYI). You may want to call Carnival and double check on that one.

let us know what happens.

We went to Divi Little Bay the day after Christmas. We were on the Sun Princess. We were very glad we did it on our own and not the ship excursion. It is about 7-10 minute taxi ride - $4/pp each way. The umbrella is $5 and the chairs are $5 each. When we got a chair and umbrella they told us to feel free to use the pool as well.

The beach and the bay were absolutely beautiful. We were thrilled that we picked Divi to spend our day at. They have every kind of watersport you would want. We rented jet skis for $45 for 30 min. and they let you go completely alone for the entire time - a blast ! We parasailed for $45/pp. The restaurant was incredibly slow and expensive - and then we found a cute little sandwich/ice cream/smoothie shop on the property near the registration desk where sandwiches and salads were about $6/each. Take a good sandwhich to your beach chair and enjoy the view and the reasonable price.

I think you'll really like Divi.

Lisa

love2sub-did you make advanced reservations at the Divi? Did you arrange for the same taxi to pick you back up and if so, did they arrive on time? It almost seems to me by the time you add up all the costs, it's the same as booking it through the cruise line? I guess you can just stay longer?

Thanks for any help.

We had thought go to on our own but then I read that they wouldn't let you in without booking through the cruise ship. For the waverunners did they hold more then one person? Was the $45 per waverunner or per person? Thanks.

Hi Janep,

You don't have to make any kind of reservations. All the beaches on St. Martin are public, even if they are attached to resort property. We just hopped out of our taxi and walked down to the beach (very short walk). We did ask the taxi driver to pick us back up at a pre-arranged time and he did so. There were also plenty of taxis driving through the resort registration area if your guy didn't show. Lots of other people had come to Divi on their own and were leaving when we did.

I guess we're just very independent. I like being able to come and go when I please and not have to meet at a prearranged time - seems like it usually wastes a lot of precious beach time :) Since Divi is so close to the pier (when you go out on the jetski way out into the bay, you can actually see the ships at the pier) we got to wait until the very last minute to get back to the ship. We didn't want to miss one minute of the beach - it is so gorgeous.

It probably doesn't save much money going on your own, but we're not big drinkers so we didn't want the 2 drinks (although I did get a beer right at the beach bar) and usually I don't like "preset" lunches/dinners. Also, the excursion didn't mention an umbrella and I was soooo glad to have one because it can get really hot.

Just my own quirks I guess. I know you'll have a great time however you choose to do it!

Lisa

Hi Emilymad,

You probably saw my earlier post that said that the beaches are public and anyone can use them. They're glad for the bar, restaurant and watersport revenue! You definitely don't have to go on the ship's excursion to go there.

The waverunners were the big ones that hold at least two people. It was $45 for the waverunner for 30 minutes and not per person. They were very fast and in good shape. They completely let you go on your own and they come out in the bay in their own waverunner when your time is up and motion you back in. It felt like we owned the bay! Very cool was being able to go just outside the bay and see the cruise ships docked.

Also, they have a very nice watersports operation and take credit cards. I was not the least bit nervous about giving my card to them. We had even scheduled a banana boat ride for the kids and then changed our minds. They immediately put a refund on our card. Nice folks.

You'll have a great time!

Lisa

love2sub-thanks for the info. I agree with you about spending every second on the beach!!! I'm going to go on my own as well. I thought we wouldn't be able to get on the beach. I'm not one for a set time for anything either... I'm so excited about going!! Can't wait to get away from this snow:)

Archived