Cadiz to Seville

Morgans

I have never been on a ship's tour from Cadiz to Sevilla but we lived in Rota (across the bay from Cadiz) for over eight years and have made the trip many times.

There is an Autopista (toll road) from Cadiz directly to Sevilla which, I believe takes about 1½- 2 hours. (We left Spain in 1991 and my memory might be a little off with the times?) It is good road all the way and you get to see a lot of Spanish countryside.

As far as being worth it, you bet! Sevilla is steeped in history and seeing the cathedral alone will be worth the trip.

anyone who can recommend a reputable tour guide/driver to take us from Cadiz to Seville? or a tour company?

thanks!

We were in Cadiz on NCL Jade in late Aug 09. I know that some people on our ship had organized a very reasonable private tour to Seville. Details were posted in the Roll Call section for this cruise (Aug 23 - Sep 5 Southampton to Barcelona NCL Jade). Unfortunately this thread is no longer available.

As far as getting there on your own it's quite easy by train. Renfe station in Cadiz is about 15 min walk from port. Trains are often; every hour; takes just under 2 hrs and costs 12.10 euros o/w. The only suggestion is keep small euro bills handy as Renfe vending machine can't handle large bills and doesn't take non Spanish credit cards.

Sevilla is definitely one city not to be missed. I attended school (for one trimester - 10 weeks) in Sevilla back in the 1970s. If you have an opportunity, you should also visit Toledo, Granada, and Cordoba. Spain is a beautiful country, especially southern Spain.

Agree that the north of Spain is very beautiful Keltic. We love la Coruna, Vigo and Santiago de Compostela very much. We did a tour of vineyards around the area of Vigo/Pontevedra in 2008 and found the countryside gorgeous. The south which we love also, is much drier and parched compared to the north which is mistier and greener due to having more rainfall.

My original question was to try and find out how long the journey would be by coach from Cadiz to Seville, & considering the extreme heat in high summer whether we should spend our time on the lovely beaches of Cadiz (the beaches are fantastic and easy to get to from the ship) or whether we should consider travelling to Seville in such high temperatures and if it would be worth the journey, which from answers I am sure it will be. Spain is a beautiful country and Cadiz is a beautiful city which we have visited many times. When we next visit, we look forward to absorbing more of the culture !! We are quite happy to do a ship's excursion (from Grand Princess) such as "Seville on your own" which should suit us well I feel. Thanks to all for your kind answers.

Marge

We were in Cadiz on NCL Jade in late Aug 09. I know that some people on our ship had organized a very reasonable private tour to Seville. Details were posted in the Roll Call section for this cruise (Aug 23 - Sep 5 Southampton to Barcelona NCL Jade). Unfortunately this thread is no longer available.

As far as getting there on your own it's quite easy by train. Renfe station in Cadiz is about 15 min walk from port. Trains are often; every hour; takes just under 2 hrs and costs 12.10 euros o/w. The only suggestion is keep small euro bills handy as Renfe vending machine can't handle large bills and doesn't take non Spanish credit cards.

I managed to located the company that people on our cruise used. Website is http://www.lifestylesevilla.com/ They organized a 20+ seater bus for Sevilla excursion with port of Cadiz pickup. Cost was in 55-60 euro pp ballpark.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I know the answer to this but I will post the question anyway.

Our ship arrives in Cadiz at 8 AM and LEAVES at 1 PM.

Is that too short a time to try and see Seville?

Thanks.

PS. I note that the ship has no excursions to Seville and think that the short time there may be the answer.

Kathy

• 4 weeks later...

We are on Grand Princess and dock in Cadiz on July 27, 2010. We have booked spaindaytours.com for 79 EUR pp for a day trip to Seville. The maximum number of passengers is 14...and includes a three hour walking tour of Seville. Probably cheaper than Princess's 'on your own' trip and the small number of passengers is a huge bonus for us. Princess's 52+ passengers on a tour is way too many for an informative tour.

They have been very responsive with their emails so far.

We are on Grand Princess and dock in Cadiz on July 27, 2010. We have booked spaindaytours.com for 79 EUR pp for a day trip to Seville. The maximum number of passengers is 14...and includes a three hour walking tour of Seville. Probably cheaper than Princess's 'on your own' trip and the small number of passengers is a huge bonus for us. Princess's 52+ passengers on a tour is way too many for an informative tour.

They have been very responsive with their emails so far.

I am not sure I would consider doing a 3 hour walk around Seville at the end of July. It will be extremely hot then. What time of day is this walk?

anyone who can recommend a reputable tour guide/driver to take us from Cadiz to Seville? or a tour company?

thanks!

Check out Cadiz and Beyond. They have gotten good reviews and will put together a private tour based on your ship's port time. They require a minimum of 10 people. On our November trip, our itinerary is 3 hours travel time (1 1/2 hours each way), 3 hour walking tour and 2 hour personal time for lunch or shopping.

Unfortunately, this is not the case if your ship is in town on a Sunday. We were on the Splendour of the Seas in Nov 2009, and everything in Cadiz was closed. There were almost no trains to Seville and certainly not at any time convenient. We did not mind really, because we had been to Seville before and enjoyed just walking around in Cadiz (nice old town). If you do want to go to Seville however, and it is a weekend, you may want to consider booking a tour in advance. On our cruise, a lot of people were heavily disappointed because all the tours were full in advance.

I am not sure I would consider doing a 3 hour walk around Seville at the end of July. It will be extremely hot then. What time of day is this walk?

We are being picked up at 7.30am...so presuming 9am-12md

I know it's hot, but thinking this should be ok in the morning?

Archived