Which dock in Sydney

cruzadict

Even better if you are on the water side! At least 180 degrees and you get the panorama of the bridge, the Opera House, the piers, etc. They are also full-service apts with 2 verandas - LR and BR. The building is right across the street from the Four Seasons. Either one is great but I preferred the wider views from the Quay West Suites.

Sydney harbour is beautiful, the Rocks, the horseshoe shaped Darling Harbour, with lots of restaurants right by the water. Try the triangular shaped crab like "bug", yummy, and you can't find that animal anywhere else!

Go to QVB (Queen Victoria Building) and the corner of King Street and Castlereigh. If you want to go to the Opera House, prebook your seats at the lowest level. When we were there in 2001, we could only get seats at the top, and that was some 60 steps from the taxi to the door plus more than that to our seat. We climbed some 130+ steps in all and nearly "ended" up there panting. While this is a world landmark building, its lack of the basic necessity of elevators was unexpected!

Sydney harbour is beautiful, the Rocks, the horseshoe shaped Darling Harbour, with lots of restaurants right by the water. Try the triangular shaped crab like "bug", yummy, and you can't find that animal anywhere else!

Go to QVB (Queen Victoria Building) and the corner of King Street and Castlereigh. If you want to go to the Opera House, prebook your seats at the lowest level. When we were there in 2001, we could only get seats at the top, and that was some 60 steps from the taxi to the door plus more than that to our seat. We climbed some 130+ steps in all and nearly "ended" up there panting. While this is a world landmark building, its lack of the basic necessity of elevators was unexpected!

I must absolutely agree with Meow....it is the most beautiful harbour in the world.....and I see it every day!:D:D:D

Sorry about the Opera House...there are many many steps and it is quite a way from the taxi drop off point.

Good choice of hotel for views, also recommend the Four Seasons.

Sydney will welcome you!

Cheers

ging466

We stayed at the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney during our month long Australasia land trip (by air) in 2001. It was good enough. We visited the Westin Sydney (and stayed in the Westin Melbourne on Colin Street), they were both very nice. The A$ was at 48 cents then, really great for us!

P.S. Most of all, on our flight back, we were invited into the cockpit for a picture with the captain and copilot (the purser was really nice), and that was five months before the 9-11 tragedy when the whole world lost its innocence. We likely would not have that chance again.

The rooms at the Four Seasons are VERY small. Tough getting your luggage in there and then turning around...!

Sorry, I was thinking more of the view up the harbour from the upper levels of the Four Seasons. The Park Hyatt underneath the bridge is nice but it is a low rise hotel.

Cheers

ging466

We guess this is your year, with the A$ at 90+ cents. You may as well use this opportunity to travel extensively, and perhaps help our economy!

Yes meow!, that's why I was able to book my Spirit B2B cruise for next October, single supplement and a balcony:cool:. Our dollar being stronger makes a HUGE difference to cruising prices...so I am doing my best to help your economy:D

Cheers

ging466

Thank you, and wish you the best. By the way, in your case (from Australasia), you are wise to choose Silversea, which already has an office in Australia, so at least you get a fair exchange rate if not the included air. Some other cruise lines, e.g. Oceania, give their sales to some local sole agent, and if you search that column, you will find complaints on Australian pricing (much higher in addition to no included air)!

Thank you, and wish you the best. By the way, in your case (from Australasia), you are wise to choose Silversea, which already has an office in Australia, so at least you get a fair exchange rate if not the included air. Some other cruise lines, e.g. Oceania, give their sales to some local sole agent, and if you search that column, you will find complaints on Australian pricing (much higher in addition to no included air)!

Actually, I'm much better off buying my cruise from an American online agent and paying by credit card in US$. I saved a considerable amount against the price that SS quoted me here in Sydney. Yes, I know what goes on here with Oceania and think it unfair. Unfortunately Aussies have always paid big bucks for cruising and it's only been with the advent of the internet that we can research prices easily and make a more informed choice.

Cheers

ging466

Hi,

We've got one night to stay after our cruise, basically in a month from now. What's the most recommended hotel not *too* far away from the port in sydney? Is it Grand Quay or Quay West or something else? We put in a quick placeholder booking at the Shangri-La to make sure we have something and it looked nice, the Observatory looked good too. It's a 16 day costly cruise and we bought bizclass air on the way home, we're not going to worry really what we spend on the hotel for that night nor where we go for dinner so .. recommendations for the best place to stay which is at least somewhere near the port and a great place to eat (light after 16 silversea days and perhaps something a little 'different') would be very gratefully accepted.

Roland

Even better if you are on the water side! At least 180 degrees and you get the panorama of the bridge, the Opera House, the piers, etc. They are also full-service apts with 2 verandas - LR and BR. The building is right across the street from the Four Seasons. Either one is great but I preferred the wider views from the Quay West Suites.

Hi, We've got one night to stay after our cruise, basically in a month from now. What's the most recommended hotel not *too* far away from the port in sydney? Is it Grand Quay or Quay West or something else? We put in a quick placeholder booking at the Shangri-La to make sure we have something and it looked nice, the Observatory looked good too. It's a 16 day costly cruise and we bought bizclass air on the way home, we're not going to worry really what we spend on the hotel for that night nor where we go for dinner so .. recommendations for the best place to stay which is at least somewhere near the port and a great place to eat (light after 16 silversea days and perhaps something a little 'different') would be very gratefully accepted. Roland

Hi rols

All of these hotels are nice and very close to where u will leave the Whisper. The Observatory is a lovely boutique hotel but doesn't really have that great a view because it's on the opposite side of the bridge. Park Hyatt is great but is low rise so whilst u will have a nice view, it is from the ground rather than up high. When u make your reservation, make sure u specify harbour views.

What type of food do you like? Let me know and I'll have a think about local restaurants.

You are taking a fabulous cruise, I did this one last year. Do you need any help with excursions?

Cheers

ging466

hi wripro

Aria is a 2 hat restaurant (we call them chef hats here), and the view is very nice - straight across to the Opera House - at ground level. Run by celebrity chef, Matt Moran. I haven't eaten there.

Rockpool is superb, and is 2 hats, run by celebrity chef, Neil Perry. I have eaten there.

My pick would be Quay...3 hats and superb, right at the passenger terminal where the Odyssey berths (I've read u are on the world cruise - lucky u!:)) I have eaten here, get a table by the window, view is exceptional.

Other 3 hats are: Bilson's, est, Marque, Pier, Tetsuya's.

I have eaten at Pier and it is excellent however it's a 15 minute cab ride from the ship.

For the view, I like Forty One, it is a 1 hat restaurant with a killer view. On a clear sunny day, you can see the Blue Mountains at lunch time. The night time view is equally spectacular with all the lights. Food is great too.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, happy to answer them.

Cheers

ging466

Ging466, Thanks so much for the rundown. I actually got a copy of the Sydney Herald with all the 1,2 and 3 hat restaurants. So many look good that it's hard to choose. I will look into Quay.

Yes, the list is quite long and there are some great restaurants even in the 1 hat category.

If you can get a reservation at Quay, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

ging466

Archived