Short time in Kodiak?

LVSue

Since we will only be in Kodiak from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm (June 9), there doesn’t seem to be much time to do anything. On the other hand, I’m thinking that an organized tour would help us see a few highlights in a short amount of time. I’d appreciate it if those of you with experience would check out the two ship tours and give me your advice. Or feel free to offer other advice. Frankly the dancing/drumming of the last doesn’t much appeal. I’d rather have the free time. I am not very spry, so I fear if we try to do a walking tour on our own, we’ll peter out. Thanks for your help.

Enjoy an approximately 50 minute driving tour of Kodiak. Your travels will take you down cannery row, past the small boat harbor, and through the heart of old downtown. The Baranof and Alutiiq museums and the Russian Orthodox Church and Seminary are along the way out of town, past Mission beach and a view of Woody Island, then on to Mill Bay beach; where you will have a 10 minute stop for photos and viewing. Follow one of the oldest roads in Kodiak back towards town, where the diversity of Kodiak’s businesses is evident. Pass the high watermark from the 1964 tsunami on your way through the center of town enroute to a scenic overlook, where you will see a World War II pillbox bunker and be able to take photos of your ship with the city in the background. Return to the ship. ($54)

View cannery row and the boat harbor on your drive into the city. Here you will stop at the Baranov Museum, offering you a mixture of Native, Russian and American history. A stop at the Alutiiq Museum offers a more in depth look at Alaskan Native culture. Cross the bridge to neighboring Near Island and you will visit the Alaska Fisheries Research Center. The aquarium and touch tank here is a popular spot for visitors all year long! After a short drive north the tour arrives at Ft Abercrombie State Park, a WWII historical site. This site offers a wonderful bunker museum of wartime memorabilia, as well as beautiful views of both land and sea. The last stop of your adventure will be at the Gerald C. Wilson Auditorium for a lively performance by St. Innocents Academy, a local group of dancers and musicians, or the Kodiak Island Drummers, a multi-aged group performing on bongo style drums and other hand instruments. After the performance, you will be returned to the ship to reflect on the events of the day! ($89)

Hey alpal - missed you lately - thought maybe you were off on a cruise that you didn't tell us about?!?!!! I think the excitement is contagious - our roll call is really very active (stop over sometime, we don't mind others on one of the other sailings chatting with us - friendly bunch that we are:p!).

LVSue - someone on another thread, can't remember which, gave me a tip about a website called endofthespit.com, that offers some short cruises in Kodiak, which would still give you time to see the sights in town. Someone also suggested hiring a taxi w/local driver, and she quoted a price of $50.00/hour (not per person). If our friends come along as planned, we can hire that cab for 4 hours to take us to the places we want to go - Ft. Abercrombie for beach combing and hiking, the Kodiak brewery to pacify DH and friend, and just see the sights, but still get us back in town for an hour or two to walk around the harbor area, etc. This would be a relatively inexpensive "excursion" at $100.00 per couple for four hours of touring. Sucks that we aren't there longer. Would have loved to plan our "big" excursion for a bear tour, but just can't justify the cost for the short amount of time we are there.

The ship tours don't appeal to me either. I think the taxi cab thing, or just doing the town on our own might be the way to do. Sure wish the time in port was longer, but won't wish my life away on things I have no control over. Believe me, we'll "make do." The taxi company, by the way, is Friday's Taxi, and I've sent them an email so we'll see what kind of response we get. Would love to just hop in a cab, and let our interests take the lead.

Archived