choose more ports or jamaica?

TANZYRAGWEED

We are planning a 7d western caribbean in February and I cannot decide if we should go for the cruise with more ports: GCayman, Belize, Cozumel, Isla Rotan, on the Glory or go for the less busy one with Jamaica on the itinerary on the Valor. The pictures of Jamaica look pretty cool.

We have a 2yr old and wonder if 4 ports are too much. We are used to being busy, so I have gone back and forth....

Also the Jamaica cruise is on the Valor, which doesn't look as nice, but has the dates I like and the other is on the Glory wich looks a little nicer but the dates aren't as nice.

Lots of ?'s I know....

We are planning a 7d western caribbean in February and I cannot decide if we should go for the cruise with more ports: GCayman, Belize, Cozumel, Isla Rotan, on the Glory or go for the less busy one with Jamaica on the itinerary on the Valor. The pictures of Jamaica look pretty cool.

We have a 2yr old and wonder if 4 ports are too much. We are used to being busy, so I have gone back and forth....

Also the Jamaica cruise is on the Valor, which doesn't look as nice, but has the dates I like and the other is on the Glory wich looks a little nicer but the dates aren't as nice.

Lots of ?'s I know....

Isn't that the Liberty with Ocho Rios?

or maybe I looked at it wrong:confused:

Yes, I think you are right. Liberty

Hi you, from the Oregon coast...

We are going on the Liberty in 2011, to Jamacia, because we will be hitting those other ports on the Dream Feb. 20th 2010. I have never been to any of them yet, BUT, some friends just did the cruise and loved that Itinerary. and another friend, didn't cruise, but went to Ocho Rios Jamacia for a week, and LOVED it. Said if they were ever going on vacation again, they would do that all over again, except the part where they were at the Airport without the Passport :eek: someone got it to him, as they were holding the plane :eek:

well maybe not holding the plan, but they were way past the time they should have checked in, and barely made the flight. but because they were in constant contact via a cell phone, the desk was very patient. It takes an hour to get to PDX from here. Got to love PDX for that.

Ok that was a rabbit trail.

I avoid any cruise that includes Jamaica.....Although Dunn's River Falls was great the island/people were not. Only cruise port I have ever felt uncomfortable in.....

Same here! Jamaica is one place to avoid. Ever wonder why they have such high fences around the land based resorts with the heavily armed guards outside?

Pushy, rude people can ruin even the most beautiful scenery, not to mention every other person trying to sell you pot.

I would choose the ports. Ive been to Jamaica many times. Stayed at a land based resort once with armed guards and the fencing and all but even that was not enough to stop a HUGE bail of "Ganja" being dropped on the beach about 2am at the resort. It was quite interesting. If only I had some rolling papers and extra baggies...NOT.

Same here! Jamaica is one place to avoid. Ever wonder why they have such high fences around the land based resorts with the heavily armed guards outside?

Pushy, rude people can ruin even the most beautiful scenery, not to mention every other person trying to sell you pot.

We just came back from the Freedom which stopped at Ocho Rios. My husband and I are pretty seasoned travelers; we thought we would just get off the boat and walk to Margaritaville. Within 45 minutes we were back on the ship (never got to Margaritaville)...the people are poor and trying to earn a living...they are aggressive.

We mostly encountered people trying to provide taxi service or to go to the local craft market...but met a couple of younger kids in the elevator getting back on saying that within 20 minutes of being off the ship they were offered drugs 16 times. We also made friends with a couple of older single guys who were offered both drugs and women!

I avoid any cruise that includes Jamaica.....Although Dunn's River Falls was great the island/people were not. Only cruise port I have ever felt uncomfortable in.....

Ditto! Let's see...Even at DRF, people would put a bead necklace around your neck and say $1 dollar! (probably stolen). They'll come up to you with a fist out and say "respect", talk a little and ask your name and start carving your name into something to sell you. If you ignore tapping the respect fists with them, they'll talk how offended they were. Even at the Ocho Rios port, people would swim under the pier and ask for money. Unless some there's some sort of special opportunity to go, I won't go to Jamacia again.

Ditto. On our second cruise we went to Ocho Rios. Never, ever again will we go to Jamaica. Too dangerous. It is the only time we ever got off at a port and felt unsafe. We did do the Dunns River Falls which was neat but leaving the area meant we had to go through the locals selling their wares. Our group was accosted and it cost us $20 just to get out of there. They actually had to send the bus driver back in to get a lady out of there. She ended up back on the bus bawling her eyes out. After that I vowed we'd never go back there AND we'd tell anyone who asks - STAY AWAY.

Lots of ?'s I know....

Stay away from Jamacia, Isla Roatan is not much better. :eek: The locals on both islands are VERY aggressive. Even though I feel sorry for them, I can't handle it. In the futire if there is a trip with either in the itn. I will just stay onboard. The ship is really great on port days. :)

Good luck on your decision. Happy sailing!

Luv's Crusin'

Ditto! Let's see...Even at DRF, people would put a bead necklace around your neck and say $1 dollar! (probably stolen). They'll come up to you with a fist out and say "respect", talk a little and ask your name and start carving your name into something to sell you.

That is precisely what happened to my wife and I as we were leaving Ocho Rios. They asked our names and then started carving our name into some piece of junk. Of course we were just trying to get out of there because at that point we knew we were in a place we would rather not be. As we were walking the guy shows us what he did and demands $75. I told him no way but that I would give him $20 if he got me out of there - which he did. Never again.

I was in Jamica 10 years ago and found the people very aggressive. The children were begging for money on there way to school, alot like Columbia! When I got to Margarittaville and I loved it & relaxed! I don't think its a good place to take a child, sorry! It's the only island I ever stopped at and was teared up.

I agree, Dunns River Falls was very nice. However, the people are very aggressive at trying to sell you things and trying to put people in a position to make them feel like they should pay for something they don't want, trying to tell you that you're being disrespectful of them, etc.

We will not go to Jamaica again, and I would not take a small child there with me.

Maybe it is different if you are heading to an all inclusive resort for the week, but as a port stop it is unpleasant.

I am in the minority that loves Jamaica. I hired a private driver for the day and had a great time. We saw Rose Hall great house, spent time at Doctor's cave beach, a little shopping, and did a driving tour of the island. I was offered marijuana at the beach...but only once and just declined and that was the end of that. I didn't once feel threatened or hassled. Of course our driver took us to spots that limited that I'm sure. Jamaica is lovely and I would go again in a minute, but with a little one, I would only do a private driver or a day at Sunset Beach. Pic I took in Mo Bay below... Beautiful.P4090460_itA_022.jpg

Ive been to Jamaica twice. The last time was on the Freedom, it was New Years day. Not many local's out. We left the kids on the ship. I would be very careful walking around in Jamaica. There is a great little market inside the gated cruise port. We got a tall hand carved parrot for my parents very cheep. Next New Years I hope to book the Carnival Dream again to go back to Jamaica and get a parrot for my wife. We did go out and walk and were offered drugs. I think it was not as bad as my first trip, only because it was New Years day and many of the locals was passed out from the night before or dead. Be careful in Jamaica

We did do the Dunns River Falls which was neat but leaving the area meant we had to go through the locals selling their wares.

That local market can be avoid by forking off to the left, which is the same way you came in.

I was still bombarded as soon as you walked into DRF and again on the way out.

Have there been problems with people being assaulted (other than verbally) in Jamaica? Or robbed? More so than anywhere else? I'm just askin' :confused:

It would be like a cruise ship docking in Detroit Michigan. Many people have be robbed at gun point. If you look at the size of that island and the population crime is very very high there. Even people who have booked a tour with the cruise ship have been robbed at gun point on the tour bus. I don't know too many others islands that happens at.

Add me to the list of people not caring if I ever step foot back on Jamaica. As soon as we stepped out of cruise compound I was offered cocaine and marijuana while 2 policeman stood about 100 ft away tapping their nightsticks in their hands. I learned later from a cruiseship employee they sell drugs to a tourist, get busted by the police and give up everything they have to get get back on the ship, the police split the haul with man selling the drugs and repeat as needed. Think about it, if you were arrested in a 3rd world country what would you give for freedom and they prey on the niave people who think laws only apply in the US.

Still want to take your kids here ?

Add me to the list of people not caring if I ever step foot back on Jamaica. As soon as we stepped out of cruise compound I was offered cocaine and marijuana while 2 policeman stood about 100 ft away tapping their nightsticks in their hands. I learned later from a cruiseship employee they sell drugs to a tourist, get busted by the police and give up everything they have to get get back on the ship, the police split the haul with man selling the drugs and repeat as needed. Think about it, if you were arrested in a 3rd world country what would you give for freedom and they prey on the niave people who think laws only apply in the US.

Still want to take your kids here ?

A very usual practice there.....When I went there the CD on another cruiseline warned people of this...;)

Have there been problems with people being assaulted (other than verbally) in Jamaica? Or robbed? More so than anywhere else? I'm just askin' :confused:

Supposedly the highest cause of death in Jamaica is crime and violence, and Jamaica is toward the very top for number of murders per capita. It's also toward the very top for rapes and robberies. So the answer to your question is yes, Jamaica has problems with crime, more so than many other places.

Archived