Anyone on Gem 1-13 or Explorer 1-14/10?

chelseaguy

Hi Tom,

None of us has been on the Gem or any of the freestyle ships and are doing so with some apprehension. My partner and I were on the Noordam in 2007 and 2008 and had a great time. We enjoyed the traditional arrangements and had a great time. (One can always switch tables if the the assigned tablemates leave something to be desired.) Wonderful group of gay passengers brought together by a ship-appointed gay coordinator--in both cases one of the ship piano players--different guys both times. The line hosted a couple cocktail parties for us and brought us together at lunch a couple times. On St Maarten he took us to a gay beach. It ws lovely but very narrow and one of the guys got dashed against the rocks by some strong waves. The second time we opted for another which we would probably hit again this time.

We have been to all of these places except Antigua a number of times and will probably not do any organized tours. Just beaches at St. Maarten and St Thomas and probably not even get off the ship in Tortola.

If Noordam were still sailing from N YC that would probably be our choice. Our dinner Companions on the QM2 in 2006 were wonderful and we had a splendid time. We are hoiping ot do that in 2011 when she sails from NY again in January.

We would certainly enjoy meeting you should we wind up on the same cruise.

Bill

Hi Bill, Found the GEM to be a gorgeous ship. Freestyle dining has its positives and negatives. You can choose where you want to eat, and when you want to eat. The specialty restaurants have an additional fee and they are usually worh it I found, but obviously each persons tastes are different. One negative at times is waiting even with reservations for a table to clear for your number - I never had the problem but often heard it happens especially with large parties. I usually travel with the BF this time going solo and still debating which one to take. I may be laid off next week from work LOL -maybe not roll over the entire IRA. Any questions about the gem just ask Take Care Tom - m reg e-mail is Tlucky62@yahoo. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Chelseaguy,

We are a gay couple and will be travelling on the GEM Jan. 13/10. I was surfing posts to see if there would be any other gay people on the ship at the same time as us.

I see you have booked the Jan. 24/10 sailing and I am too late in responding lol...

Hope you have a great trip! :)

JM

Archived