Cruzan, Whim & Beach?? Advice?

SoPoME04106

These are the things I am considering doing while on our stop in January. Has anyone done the Cruzan tour? It lists times of 9am - 11:30... is that the full length of the tour? If not, how long does it last? And it says that Whim is close by... is it really close and does anyone know if that is an organized tour or a walk around yourself sort of deal?! How long? I have checked numerous sites and cannot find any information about time etc. It says they are within a couple miles of the pier so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

We were also interested in maybe hitting the beach for a while but trying to figure out what I can get it without feeling like I am rushing, you know?

We really like to get a little of the local 'flavor' and it seems that there isn't really a lot to do in Frederiksted so we could walk a little and probably see a lot of the architecture/sights...

Is there anything I am missing?

We will be on the RCCL SOS and docked from 8am - 5pm

Thanks

I suspect you mean the Cruzan Rum tour, yes? If so, this is the itinerary I'd suggest for you:

-Whim Plantation first. I've always walked it by myself and enjoyed the grounds. There are Landmark Society volunteers to offer guided tours, and I am sure there are plenty on ship days, they leave every half hour. I think that tour took about 45 minutes- it was just my friend and she enjoyed herself. Lots of questions or larger groups will take longer, I am sure. You may contact stcroixlandmarks.com for more information.

-Rum factory second. Tours leave about every half hour, probably more on crowded days. You will climb up the stairs and walk right past the product in various stages, then around to the barrels, etc. This tour lasts about 15 minutes, give or take. Then you may enjoy yourself at the tasting bar. How long you take there is up to you!

-Beach last. Enjoy a nice West end beach right by where the ship docks, so you have plenty of transportation options back to the ship. West beaches are calmest and frequently sandiest, so you can't go wrong, and you have plenty of choices for a snack or to continue the rum fun.

Eat a big yummy ship brekkie and then hop off the ship and snag a taxi to Whim at 9:30. Your driver might want to give you a tour- tell him/ her what you want and work it out. You'll arrive at Whim about 9:45 once you've struck your bargain, so you can stroll the grounds and enjoy the sights until the 10am opening- go on the first tour. Let's say you finish Whim at 11, which is fine unless you are a history buff- then pad the time.

Head out for the Rum Factory- can't be more than a 10 minute drive if traffic is bad. Take your tour, enjoy your libations. Let's say this takes an hour. I'd suggest lunch to work off some of that rum- taxi back to F'sted and get a bite. Then you can enjoy the beach and have a nice relaxing time. You can wander back to the ship with no stress.

Whim is 2.5 miles from the ship; The Rum factory is closer. If you want to do all three goals, stay close to F'sted and you should have a good time!

I suspect you mean the Cruzan Rum tour, yes? If so, this is the itinerary I'd suggest for you:

-Whim Plantation first. I've always walked it by myself and enjoyed the grounds. There are Landmark Society volunteers to offer guided tours, and I am sure there are plenty on ship days, they leave every half hour. I think that tour took about 45 minutes- it was just my friend and she enjoyed herself. Lots of questions or larger groups will take longer, I am sure. You may contact stcroixlandmarks.com for more information.

-Rum factory second. Tours leave about every half hour, probably more on crowded days. You will climb up the stairs and walk right past the product in various stages, then around to the barrels, etc. This tour lasts about 15 minutes, give or take. Then you may enjoy yourself at the tasting bar. How long you take there is up to you!

-Beach last. Enjoy a nice West end beach right by where the ship docks, so you have plenty of transportation options back to the ship. West beaches are calmest and frequently sandiest, so you can't go wrong, and you have plenty of choices for a snack or to continue the rum fun.

Eat a big yummy ship brekkie and then hop off the ship and snag a taxi to Whim at 9:30. Your driver might want to give you a tour- tell him/ her what you want and work it out. You'll arrive at Whim about 9:45 once you've struck your bargain, so you can stroll the grounds and enjoy the sights until the 10am opening- go on the first tour. Let's say you finish Whim at 11, which is fine unless you are a history buff- then pad the time.

Head out for the Rum Factory- can't be more than a 10 minute drive if traffic is bad. Take your tour, enjoy your libations. Let's say this takes an hour. I'd suggest lunch to work off some of that rum- taxi back to F'sted and get a bite. Then you can enjoy the beach and have a nice relaxing time. You can wander back to the ship with no stress.

Whim is 2.5 miles from the ship; The Rum factory is closer. If you want to do all three goals, stay close to F'sted and you should have a good time!

Thank you so much for all the information. There aren't a lot of replies on St. Croix so I was worried I wouldn't get any info!! Sounds like we can get a little history, 'flavor' and relaxation all in one one!!

Cruise ships are a welcome recurrance here. I've lived here for eight years and I hope visitors to STX enjoy themselves. I am often in Christensted while ships are in, and it's fun to hear visitors enjoying themselves. I often chat with "cruisers" in town, and they all seem delighted to be here... and grateful for directions/ advice I can offer.

Do take my itinerary as a suggestion and feel free to shape it to your own desires. I'm so glad to help. I do think you can achieve this in one happy day!

Archived