Why only P&O

balf

Certainly Fred is the only one who would come near P&O.

Dai

In my very limited experience of both lines (P&O Arcadia and Olsen Balmoral), there is absolutely no doubt (in, of course, my humble opinion) that Olsen doesn't just come near to P&O. It greatly exceeds it.

Mary

In my very limited experience of both lines (P&O Arcadia and Olsen Balmoral), there is absolutely no doubt (in, of course, my humble opinion) that Olsen doesn't just come near to P&O. It greatly exceeds it.

Mary

Your experience is your experience, of course, but my experience was that Fred, though enjoyable, wasn't as good as P&O. Leaving aside our Ventura cruise, we've also done 4-night cruises on both Braemar and Oriana, and they're probably quite comparable. The things we enjoyed about the Braemar were the intimacy of the ship, but even after just four days it was beginning to feel a bit small. We also found that the menus were quite restricted (more so than with P&O), that the choice of wine was comparatively limited, and that the dining room was quite cramped. Also we never quite found a bar that we really liked. Oriana was that bit better in all regards, we thought, and as regards the ship itself, significantly better.

Your experience is your experience, of course, but my experience was that Fred, though enjoyable, wasn't as good as P&O......

All that said, we are in fact prepared to think about cruising with Fred Olsen again. A cruise to the fjords out of Newcastle is a possibility for 2011. This year they've been doing the Newcastle cruises with Boudicca, and I think I'd enjoy that 'classic ship' experience. We'd just have to accept the small cabin with no balcony.....

Your experience is your experience, of course, but my experience was that Fred, though enjoyable, wasn't as good as P&O. Leaving aside our Ventura cruise, we've also done 4-night cruises on both Braemar and Oriana, and they're probably quite comparable. The things we enjoyed about the Braemar were the intimacy of the ship, but even after just four days it was beginning to feel a bit small. We also found that the menus were quite restricted (more so than with P&O), that the choice of wine was comparatively limited, and that the dining room was quite cramped. Also we never quite found a bar that we really liked. Oriana was that bit better in all regards, we thought, and as regards the ship itself, significantly better.

Four night cruises are not really the best way to judge a cruise line.

Mary

Love the way I am taken out of context ...again.

The comparison was not for the quality of cruise lines (I have only been with P&O) but for the itineraries only.

ie. P&O's are more varied and extensive than any other cruise line, cruising out of the UK.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I have cruised the most on P&O when the "IN" thing to do, wasn't cruising. Prior to Princess and when the choices were to sail P+O out of the west coast.

I shall let you know what I think, after all these years, if I still think P+O are great. I've cruise Holland America who I really enjoyed, Carnival, and Princess. Princess for a couple of 14 days cruises were fabulous.:)

Don't tell Libralass that, she makes judgements on weekenders and day visits.

Wouldn't we all if we got the chance?

I went on Ventura on a weekender - thought the ship was lovely; It was a great taster cruise & I would consider going again.

Weekenders are different in atmosphere (they can be frantic 'party-party') & sometimes service (although we personally only had problems in one bar & that was probably due to the sheer numbers of people at the time) - but are, imo, perfectly fine when looking at the ship itself - decor, size, layout & tone\basic ambiance etc.

2005 MSC Armonia (Eastern Med)

2006 MSC Sinfonia (Western Med)

2007 Libra Domina Prestige (Nile Cruise), Thomson Celebration (Red Sea), Thomson Spirit (Southampton to Palma repositioning)

2008 Thomson Destiny (Canary Islands), Ocean Village (Eastern Med), Ocean Village 2 (Western Med)

2009 Libra Domina Prestige (Nile), Ocean Village 2 (Eastern Med), Fred Olsen Balmoral (mini cruise to Rouen), Ocean Village (Western Med)

Nile cruise - Are these permitted in the boasting list?

David.

2005 MSC Armonia (Eastern Med)

2006 MSC Sinfonia (Western Med)

2007 Libra Domina Prestige (Nile Cruise), Thomson Celebration (Red Sea), Thomson Spirit (Southampton to Palma repositioning)

2008 Thomson Destiny (Canary Islands), Ocean Village (Eastern Med), Ocean Village 2 (Western Med)

2009 Libra Domina Prestige (Nile), Ocean Village 2 (Eastern Med), Fred Olsen Balmoral (mini cruise to Rouen), Ocean Village (Western Med)

Nile cruise - Are these permitted in the boasting list?

David.

Balf is commenting on my sign off, which I don't see as a boasting list but more a list whereby people can tell if my advice is from experience or otherwise. I get asked more about the nile cruises than anything else on the list as people desparately want to try them but are worried about Egyptian tummy (latest questions only last week prompted by my sign-off as someone had recommended Libra to them for a Nile cruise). If you like history the sights you see on these cruises beat anything I've seen to date in the Med.

Balf is commenting on my sign off, which I don't see as a boasting list but more a list whereby people can tell if my advice is from experience or otherwise. I get asked more about the nile cruises than anything else on the list as people desparately want to try them but are worried about Egyptian tummy (latest questions only last week prompted by my sign-off as someone had recommended Libra to them for a Nile cruise). If you like history the sights you see on these cruises beat anything I've seen to date in the Med.

Totally agree, its not a boasting list putting your cruises down, its there so that people can see where you have been and on what shipsand can ask you questions. Such as my ship visits, I have photos on Independence as well as Artemis if anyone wants to see them, thats why they are on my list.

ummm, and I could say you have a lot to say for yourself for someone who has done just 2 cruises....

p.s. perhaps a few people like my comments and photos , what do you contribute by the way, besides snide comments ?

ummm, and I could say you have a lot to say for yourself for someone who has done just 2 cruises....

p.s. perhaps a few people like my comments and photos , what do you contribute by the way, besides snide comments ?

Hi Sue

Whilst you and I will never see eye to eye on children on cruises, all I can say is you just carry on with what you're doing and don't rise to the bait.

I'm sure there are more than a few people who appreciate your help and advice (and photos!).

BTW booked anything for 2010 yet?

Debbie:)

For me to go on a cruise it takes a lot of saving up, hence there are several years when I don't go on holiday in order to get the finances together to go on another Cruise.

As you have pointed out I have only been on two ships, so feel that I have no experience to coment on other ships. The coments I have made about Arcadia and Ventura can be found on this messageboard, my opinions, views, are all there for anybody to view.

Stopgo, I see you still enjoy making your snide, nasty comments.

You must be very jealous of Sue and her ability to cruise often.

It obviously annoys you somewhat.

Sad!

:(

For me it would be a number of things. Firstly, the Onboard Credit, which you don't get if you go somewhere else. Secondly, there are still 5 ships for me to try. Have only been on Artemis so far. Sailing out of Southampton is another. Portunus discount. I have only done 2 cruises and already up to second tier. We might try Cunard one day, but quite happy at the minute.

For me to go on a cruise it takes a lot of saving up, hence there are several years when I don't go on holiday in order to get the finances together to go on another Cruise.

As you have pointed out I have only been on two ships, so feel that I have no experience to coment on other ships. The coments I have made about Arcadia and Ventura can be found on this messageboard, my opinions, views, are all there for anybody to view.

Fair enough, but there is no need to be so nasty re: comment Gerry highlighted on your comments on me.

I have contributed to this site for 5 years and enjoyed it, you come along in the past 18months and I dread what I am going to read now ...very sad.

If you kept your comments to the 2 cruise ships you had sailed on fair enough, but nasty little insults don't do you any favours.

Archived