Walking from Manhattan Terminal

CarnivalCruzer

We'll have several hours after our NYC Cruise this weekend, & were thinking about walking around to see some of the sites.

It looks like we are within 20 minute walk of severa; tourist spots. Central Park, Fao Schwartz, maybe Top of the Rock, etc. Does that sound about right? Is this a safe walk or are we better off grabbing a cab?

also taxis in Manhattan are relatively inexpensive. You can get most places within the core for $10 or so. So if there are three or four of you and it costs $2.25 pp for the bus or subway....a cab is sometimes cheaper!

Take a cab to FAO schartz walk around central park, go into Bergdoff Goodmans and Tiffany's(the silver items on the third floor are relatively reasonably priced.

walk down fifth avenue to top of the rock and cab back to the pier.

Also there is the disney store, Lord and Taylor(the main store) and lots of expensive stuff on fifth avenue....(you know the joke- how expensive? if you have to ask you can't afford it)

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of taking a NY Cab, what's the tipping proceedure there? Most say that it's around 10 bucks from the cruise terminal to the Port Authority but does that include the tip (barring a traffic problem). Thanks!

Speaking of taking a NY Cab, what's the tipping proceedure there? Most say that it's around 10 bucks from the cruise terminal to the Port Authority but does that include the tip (barring a traffic problem). Thanks!

15-20% minimum of $1.00

also taxis in Manhattan are relatively inexpensive. You can get most places within the core for $10 or so. So if there are three or four of you and it costs $2.25 pp for the bus or subway....a cab is sometimes cheaper!

Take a cab to FAO schartz walk around central park, go into Bergdoff Goodmans and Tiffany's(the silver items on the third floor are relatively reasonably priced.

Also there is the disney store, Lord and Taylor(the main store) and lots of expensive stuff on fifth avenue....(you know the joke- how expensive? if you have to ask you can't afford it)

Manhattan is a pretty safe area and great for on foot sight-seeing.

These are great ideas and the area is perfectly safe. I love FAO Schwartz and haven't been since my kids were little. My father used to take me there all the time. As an adult with young kids, I was fascinated by the clock in the main entrance. Anyone know if it's still there.

These are great ideas and the area is perfectly safe. I love FAO Schwartz and haven't been since my kids were little. My father used to take me there all the time. As an adult with young kids, I was fascinated by the clock in the main entrance. Anyone know if it's still there.

This location is slightly different from the original FAO Schwartz store. The original was at 57th street and fifth Avenue. This is now in the GM Building at 59th Street off fifth avenue....and yes there is still a clock and a giant nutcracker at the entrance.

Archived