All Star Movies Resort Pre-Cruise & Transportation ???s

xmascruise08

DH, DD (6), DS (4), and myself are arriving for our first DCL cruise a day early and are staying at All Star Movies/ASMO (January 2010). We arrive in the mid afternoon. Any suggestions on what to do that evening without having to purchase park tickets?

Also, we're getting to the port via Disney transfer. What time can we expect them to pick us up at the hotel? When will we arrive at the port? Thanks in advance! So excited!

DH, DD (6), DS (4), and myself are arriving for our first DCL cruise a day early and are staying at All Star Movies/ASMO (January 2010). We arrive in the mid afternoon. Any suggestions on what to do that evening without having to purchase park tickets?

Also, we're getting to the port via Disney transfer. What time can we expect them to pick us up at the hotel? When will we arrive at the port? Thanks in advance! So excited!

I only been to WDW once, but I'm sure there's plenty to do at the hotel. We're staying at the Pop Century before our cruise and they have several pools and a playground area. You might also consider taking the bus to Downtown Disney as there's lot to do there.

Downtown Disney has tons of shops and such. I Love walking around down there and checking everything out.

There are two mini-golf courses. I'm not sure their hours, but the prices are (of course) no where near that of a park ticket.

The Boardwalk is another really nice place to walk around.

If you are planning on dinner there are some Really Really great places that are outside the parks. Ohana's at the Poly is AMAZING, for one.

Sing around the campfire and watch a FREE Disney movie. The campfire program at Ft. Wilderness is open to all Walt Disney World resort guests. It is held every evening, at about 7:00 pm in fall and winter and about 8:00 pm in spring and summer, near the Meadow Trading Post. The program starts with a sing-a-long and marshmallow roast. You can bring your own food or buy it from the Chuckwagon, which sells S'more kits for about $9 (makes enough for about 4 people) and also offers other food such as pizza and hot dogs. Chip and Dale meet the guests and sign autographs. Then a Disney movie is shown on a large outdoor screen. There is some seating on bleachers and benches, or you can lay out a blanket. No reservations necessary -- just show up. Cost: FREE to all Disney resort guests.

• A similar outdoor campfire and movie program is offered at Beach Club Resort and at the Grand Floridian Resort. There is a campfire sing-along on the beach, followed by a Disney movie. (No characters attend this one.) Ask at the front desk for a schedule. S'more kits that make enough for about 4 people are sold for about $9. No reservations necessary -- just show up. Cost: FREE to all Disney resort guests.

*source mousesavers.com

Read about more free or low cost things to do at Disney World here http://www.mousesavers.com/freestuff.html

Right now, DCL busses do not pick up at any Value resort even though you paid for transfers. You have to choose to be picked up at another hotel or DVC property, or Animal Kingdom Park. You can take a cab to CBR, or CSR , check with DCL to choose your pick-up location.

Right now, DCL busses do not pick up at any Value resort even though you paid for transfers. You have to choose to be picked up at another hotel or DVC property, or Animal Kingdom Park. You can take a cab to CBR, or CSR , check with DCL to choose your pick-up location.

Is this really true? I booked a one-night pre-cruise with transfers from DCL. They've put us at the POP Century and show transfers to the hotel and then from the hotel to the ship.

If this is true, do they cart your luggage from the resort for you? If not, I guarantee they'll be hearing from me as I was not informed of this when I booked.

Kris

Wow, my travel agent did not inform me of this either. The DCL website doesn't mention this either. Is there a chance that it has recently changed so that they do include the value resorts?

I've been debating on whether to use a private car to transport us to the port so that we can be in more control of when we arrive and depart. If this is the case and we have to transfer to another hotel to get to the port, I'm definitely changing to private transportation. I wonder about the luggage transfers as well. It would be annoying to have to transfer our own luggage.

I'm going to give DCL a call. I'll post the results.

Just called DCL. The reservation agent stated that starting in 2010, they will be picking up at ALL Disney hotels EXCEPT for Fort Wilderness. However, for 2009, the agent stated that the information previously posted is correct.

Hope this helps; I know I was relieved.

Now, any ideas how many hotels each bus will stop at before heading to the port?

Idea's for things to do with out park tickets -

Dinner at Ohana at the Poly, then watch the fireworks from the beach at the Poly.

Visit the Animal Kingdom Lodge(it's awesome) and have a great dinner at Boma. Then check out the animal's with the night vision goggles at the lookout by the pool.

Check out Downtown Disney- shopping and dinner, but if your kids are like mine at those ages they hated shopping.

Swim at your pool and enjoy the resort.

Mini golf.

If you need more idea's let me know.

Also have thought about renting a car, I've always got great deals at MCO and the drive to the port is really easy. You might end up saving some cash and not be on their schedule.

Since you are at an all-stars resort - you can explore the other all-stars resorts as well (music and sports) and swim in their pools, if you choose. They are all walkable back and forth - so that could take up a good part of the day - just checking out all the decor and taking pics and swimming and such

Just called DCL. The reservation agent stated that starting in 2010, they will be picking up at ALL Disney hotels EXCEPT for Fort Wilderness. However, for 2009, the agent stated that the information previously posted is correct.

Hope this helps; I know I was relieved.

Now, any ideas how many hotels each bus will stop at before heading to the port?

I am glad to hear this. Planning on a Disney cruise this January and was thinking of coming down a day earlier but didn't want to stay at a moderate resort (which my DS had to do this year) in order to use the transportation.

I'm so jealous of all you pre-cruise party people! I've seen pics of the beautiful DCL terminal at Port Canaveral and Im TOTALLY jealous! We're departing from Dover UK which is just a few hours drive from our home. Their cruise terminal looks like an old Grayhound Bus depot! :(

I am glad to hear this. Planning on a Disney cruise this January and was thinking of coming down a day earlier but didn't want to stay at a moderate resort (which my DS had to do this year) in order to use the transportation.

I was quite thrilled when I verified this with DCL. We don't get in until 7ish the night before our cruise, so we won't get to the hotel until probably 9 or so. As a result, I couldn't justify spending twice as much for a moderate over a value resort. We've stayed at the moderates before, and while they are a bit nicer, they're not twice as nice for the 15 hours we'll be there. We opted for a Disney property, however, as we knew our son would get a kick out of the theming and the pools that night and the next morning before heading to the cruise. Plus the food court is a big plus over standard hotels.

I was quite thrilled when I verified this with DCL. We don't get in until 7ish the night before our cruise, so we won't get to the hotel until probably 9 or so. As a result, I couldn't justify spending twice as much for a moderate over a value resort. We've stayed at the moderates before, and while they are a bit nicer, they're not twice as nice for the 15 hours we'll be there. We opted for a Disney property, however, as we knew our son would get a kick out of the theming and the pools that night and the next morning before heading to the cruise. Plus the food court is a big plus over standard hotels.

Just my opinion, since you are arriving so late in the evening you might want to consider renting a car at MCO (usually much cheaper than DCL transfers) and driving to the port and spending the night there. Its about 30 minutes from the airport to Disney and about 45 minuntes from the airport to the Port. There are several very nice hotels near the port - that include a hot breakfast. Its very exciting to wake up the morning of the cruise and walk our front and see the ships in the port. Much less travel for the kids as well and more relaxing. You won't be at the Disney hotel long enough to really enjoy it.

Another plus, having your own transportation will allow you to get to the port earlier than the transfers. This way you can check in, enjoy the terminal and board the ship as soon as they start boarding. My girls wear their swimsuits under their clothes and we head right to the ppol - its nice to enjoy the pool when its empty.

I'm sure your kids will love the theming though at the Values (I know mine do), it might be hard to get them to leave ;)

Tammy

Just my opinion, since you are arriving so late in the evening you might want to consider renting a car at MCO (usually much cheaper than DCL transfers) and driving to the port and spending the night there. Its about 30 minutes from the airport to Disney and about 45 minuntes from the airport to the Port. There are several very nice hotels near the port - that include a hot breakfast. Its very exciting to wake up the morning of the cruise and walk our front and see the ships in the port. Much less travel for the kids as well and more relaxing. You won't be at the Disney hotel long enough to really enjoy it.

Another plus, having your own transportation will allow you to get to the port earlier than the transfers. This way you can check in, enjoy the terminal and board the ship as soon as they start boarding. My girls wear their swimsuits under their clothes and we head right to the ppol - its nice to enjoy the pool when its empty.

I'm sure your kids will love the theming though at the Values (I know mine do), it might be hard to get them to leave ;)

Tammy

We considered that, Tammy, but I have a policy of avoiding driving as much as possible during vacation as I have a long commute and spend a lot of time in the car during my non-vacation time. Also, I like the idea of not having to haul our luggage to the hotel and the ability to check-in onboard and have Disney take care of our luggage on the return. I'm also planning on making use of the splash pool with my son that night and the next morning before we head off to the port.

Thanks for your advice, though, as I had considered that as an option.

I just got home last night from a 10 day Disney adventure with my 10 year old son. We stayed at the All Star Sports Resort for 3 nights prior to our 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise. Because Disney does not have Cruise Port transfers from the Value Resorts as of yet we took a Taxi to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Upon arrival a cruise rep was waiting for us, took our luggage and showed us to the Cruise desk. It was quick and easy and they took care of everything. We boarded the Motor Coach and met our luggage in our Stateroom later.

We also used the Cruise Lines Airport Check In Service. It was wonderful. They printed our boarding passes and transferred our lugguge to the airport. We saw lots of people hauling their luggage off the Motor Coach and hanging out in the Airport with it. It is so nice to put your luggage out on Friday night and pick it up at your final destination.

We had a great time. Cant wait to do it again. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I just got home last night from a 10 day Disney adventure with my 10 year old son. We stayed at the All Star Sports Resort for 3 nights prior to our 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise. Because Disney does not have Cruise Port transfers from the Value Resorts as of yet we took a Taxi to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Upon arrival a cruise rep was waiting for us, took our luggage and showed us to the Cruise desk. It was quick and easy and they took care of everything. We boarded the Motor Coach and met our luggage in our Stateroom later.

We also used the Cruise Lines Airport Check In Service. It was wonderful. They printed our boarding passes and transferred our lugguge to the airport. We saw lots of people hauling their luggage off the Motor Coach and hanging out in the Airport with it. It is so nice to put your luggage out on Friday night and pick it up at your final destination.

We had a great time. Cant wait to do it again. :)

Thanks for the info. I'm curious, what time did you board the ship? We're sailing next month - can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I am staying at the Hyatt at the airport and maybe going over to WDW in the evening. I chose the Hyatt for convenience and it costs the same as the value resort at WDW. In the morning, all we have to do is go downstairs and head for the buses to take us to port.

• 2 weeks later...
How did you get such a good rate at the Hyatt? The best I've been able to find is $220/night. We'd be staying there for one night at the end of January. Any suggestions?

The rate they gave me was non-refundable. Room Rate was $160

I haven't read the other replies, but did you know it is only a few dollars to add another day to your park hopper? You could do Epcot, as there are lots of dinner options and the rides are quieter at night there.

Otherwise, Downtown Disney.

Archived