worried that I´m going to have a sea sick hubby...

globalwife

Ok, so I have read and read many post about motion sickness but I am really confused at our options. First off, we have never been on a cruise. It is very possible that I end up being the sea sick one and dh is fine or we could both be fine. Our assigned cabin is pretty far foward on a mid deck. It can´t be changed, we have been trying and trying but it seems the ship is pretty much full. DH says as a kid he would get car sick on windy roads when riding through the mountains. He said mostly everyone in his family would. But now I notice on those same roads he is fine so I was trying not to worry much for our cruise...until yesterday!

He went on a business trip that involved a 4 hour drive through the mountains. He was fine on the way but on the way back he got sick. Right before getting sick he did buy a generic Bonine but he said it didn´t help (might have been too late, though).

So my question is, for those of you who get car sick, do you also get sea sick or are they a bit different? Do you think he took the tablet too late or does it just not help some people. We are most interested in the Ginger method but the tablets are extreemly expensive down here in Colombia (where we live) because they are imported and I havn´t seen any ginger candy sold here. However, we can buy ground ginger very cheaply. Would just eating regular ground ginger help? any idea how much and how often? We would rather stay away from the bonine, we think. Our cruise includes all you can drink alcohol so it wouldn´t be good if he had to take something he couldn´t drink with. Oh and I haven´t seen the acupunture bands here either.

Suggestions, recommendations will be greatly appriciated. Sorry for adding one more about this subject but we really need some help.

Yes, he did take the meds too late. Most ships sell the wrist bands. Or you can buy them before your cruise in port.

To calm a woozy stomach tart green apples and clear soda work for me. Most use GingerAle.

If you can get fresh ginger, candied ginger is easy to make-

http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/ht/crystalginger.htm

I candy orange/lemon/lime peels every year using a different recipe.

Sea bands which are the wrist bands can ususally be found at Walmart, Walgreens, etc. You can also order on line. I was recently reading an article on line that people also report that ginger oil applied to the neck or temples provides some relief. Have you priced purchasing ginger products on line?

Good luck to you. I hope that you find something that works for you and you have a great cruise!

If you can get fresh ginger, candied ginger is easy to make-

http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/ht/crystalginger.htm

I candy orange/lemon/lime peels every year using a different recipe.

Thanks so much! I havn´t even thought about making candied ginger. That sounds like a great solution, as long as we can get on board with it (since it won´t be a sealed package). Our starting port is Cartagena so I´m not so sure if they will have the bracelets there but might be worth checking on when we get there. I hadn´t thought of that either. Thanks, this is exactly why I posted!

I do and always have gotten car sick. However, have only a couple of serious problems in my adult life because I tend to be proactive.

Motion sickness is caused by the inner ear and affected by a number of things (in my case anyway). And yes, once you get sick Bonine and Dramamine won't help.

Bonine and Dramimine are antihistamines. They clear up any excess fluid and calms the inner ear. They might make you drowsy. For those whose main symptom is nausea products like ginger help a lot. Can't speak for the bands.

Your eyes can also cause a problem. I'm not sure how it's all related, but just seeing the motion can cause a problem. That's why they tell you to go up top and look at the horizon when you are feeling nauseous, so your'e looking at the steady horizon and not a moving wall. The fresh air helps, too.

So, in answer to your question. The ships are very stable. If you have a tendancey towards motion sickness, be proactive and you really shouldn't have a problem. Here's what I do: I take 24-hour Bonine every night at bedtime. I eat regularly as low-blood sugar makes it worse. I try not to eat things that make my inner ear congested. (Milk products are the biggest culprit there, but I gotta say, life is too short to not eat ice cream). I stay hydrated.

I've been on 3 cruises and the only time I had a problem was on an excursion. Small boat, big, big waves. And, I hadn't followed my own advice and had skipped lunch.

Those oils you rub on the back of your ear will not work if you have a congested inner ear. So they have not worked for me. But, for many peolple they do and IMO are worth a try, as is any non-drug remedy. I would love to not have to take drugs, but I'm not giving up my cruises, so I will stick with the Bonine.

Hi Globalwife,

My DW and I went on our first cruise last December on the Caribbean Princess. As a precaution we had the patches behind our ears and I thought we were safe. Or, in any case, that I would never get sick. LOL, I became very sea sick as soon as I felt the motion of the ship. We were on the top deck all the way forward. I felt ill on ship and felt much better in port on excursions. To "assist" the patch, I tried the wrist bands, ginger, green apples and any other hocus pocus anyone would suggest. All to no avail until I tried Dramamine. Almost immediately I felt relief and we were finally able to enjoy the rest of our cruise. I felt so bad for my DW and that she and what she had to endure on the first few days. We are going for a holiday cruise in December and this time I will definately take Dramamine before boarding. Everyone is different but I hope this helps - happy sailing!

Cheers,

Aaron

Thanks everyone. That made me think of another question I have. Our cruise is 7 nights. All of the first five days we stop in a port. Will that help? Does the sea sickness go away while in port and then just return in the evening when back on the ship at sea?

What's really wierd is that you can get accustomed to the motion of the ship, and actually feel dizzy and wobbly after you get off the ship.

Generally speaking, for me anyway, you should take precautions that would carry over your whole trip. Not on and off just cuz you're going ashore. Sometimes you have to tender, sometimes you get on a bus. There are lots of chances for motion sickness.

Again, the ships are very stable and it's possible you or your husband won't get sick at all.

my 1st cruise, i felt sick after the 1 hour or so out. evryone thought that was crazy until a couple of hours later others were really sick!! i feel 'off' on rollercoasters etc as well. i found most seasick meds made me tried though so i asked my pharmasist and he said start the meds 2 days before and take it at night only. this way you still get the benefits and it helps you sleep as well. now i always take it and sometimes the seas are rough leaving florida and im glad i can still eat everything i want in the dining room:D ps i forgot 1 once in tahiti and boy i was sorry that day:o i use generic bonine as i tolerate it better.

I'm with Blondilu, the Bonine on a daily basis regardless of how I am feeling is my method. I have always gotten carsick, and first cruise realized seasick too! Since using the Bonine, I have yet to feel badly, and last cruise we had some rough seas, and were in the back of the ship.

It's true that the inner ear senses your position in space. When you are inside, your eyes are seeing that everything is stable, but your inner ear knows you are moving around. It's the conflict between what you see, and what you feel that causes the nausea.

Perhaps the reason the OP's DH didn't have trouble with windy roads later in life, is that if he was in the front seat, or driving, he is focused on the horizon, a stable point. I always choose to drive when we are going places, and avoid the rear of any vehicle whenever possible for this reason. Once I got sick driving, but that was on the Hana Highway! :eek: So, if he does feel badly, getting outside, and focusing on the farthest point helps, if it's too late for meds.

I hope you can find something that works for him, without too many side effects. It made a huge difference to me.

~Holly

I easily get motion sickness but have had only minor episodes onboard ship. I have tried the patches-didn't like how they made me feel. I use the wristbands (wear them day & night) and Bonine but you have to take it daily as directed usually morning and night for me. Bonine makes me less drowsy than some of the other brands. I have learned not to think about it (mind over matter kind of thing)-that helps also and staying active. Normally unless the ship is in heavy seas, I never know we're moving. Being able to see the horizon and a little fresh air also helps when that quesy feeling starts. Talk to your family doctor and see what he/she recommends.

hollywood34711, thanks for the explanation regarding the inner ear. Very helpful to know.

Regarding drinking while taking Bonine: I'm probably not the best one to ask as I only have about 2 drinks in a one week cruise. But, I was not bothered at all. What it says on their website is to "avoid alcoholic drinks" and then in the next sentence it says that drinking while taking Bonine may make you more drowsy.

So, sounds like one of those worst-case warnings they give because some people could have a real problem. As I said, I wasn't bothered but someone else might be, especially if they like to drink more than I do.

I average a couple of drinks a day, DOD's or wine, and was never bothered by any unusual drowsiness. On the last cruise, I vividly recall the dancers on the final night really struggling to keep their footing on the stage due to rough seas, though I felt fine. I was amazed. It was so different from the night on my first cruise, when I literally ran out of the Disney restaurant, while my family watched slack jawed!

~Holly

I think Bonnine or Drammine work great if taken WELL before you feel sick. Once you are sick its too late.

I always take a very low dose, 1/2 a pill in morning, and 1/2 pill in evening. I take it 1/2 hour before we even start the cruise.

Before you read this, you should know that I am very skeptical/cynical about any product/device that would claim to do what this one does....especially anything that costs more than $100. But it really does work.

In our family, oldest daughter, youngest daughter, and Dad get seasick; Mom, oldest daughter, and youngest daughter get carsick. Dad has never been carsick...didn't understand the concept til the big waves hit. :>)Oldest daughter is now pregnant and is morning/afternoon/evening sick.

And we like to cruise...so we now own 3 ReliefBands (purchased from AeroMedix.com for about $129 each). And they require batteries, but are SO worth it. (Son-in-law bought a box of 20 batteries for $5 online somewhere when it worked for the morning sickness.) DH and I just returned from a 14 day cruise and one set of batteries lasted the whole time for my husband. Oldest daughter requires more since she sets hers higher.

And they REALLY work for every family member for most everything. Everyone tried the pills, the patches, fresh air, whatever. Didn't work or didn't work very well. (who wants to doze your cruise away? or dilate your pupils from the patch?)

FYI, ReliefBand is approved by the US FDA and they emit an electronic impulse on the underside of your wrist (you can set it from strength 1-5). You wear it like a backwards watch. It was actually invented for pilots who got airsick.

Oldest daughter wears it set on 4-5 pretty much whenever the ship is moving unless she's swimming or showering. My husband wears it except when sleeping or if the ship is stopped. He usually sets it on 2-3. BTW, my brother-in-law got one before his second cruise, after he had "half" a headache all the time on the first one. Worked--he was a 3-4 setting guy every day on his second and third cruise--and no headaches.

Probably TMI, but wanted you to understand how it really works for us and allows us to continue taking cruises which we all love. Kudos to my son-in-law for finding these on-line for all of us and doing the research. (BTW, Oldest daughter says it helps her less on flights than on the ship or in the car.)

Linda

I have been pleased with the results of ginger candy. Without it, I've resorted to gazing at the horizon and eating green apples, but the ginger candy is the best! I've only been really seasick twice - a catamaran off Oahu and the Rhapsody in Alaska, and both times I had failed to use the ginger candy.

You might find it in an Asian store or a health food store.

Thinking/worrying so much about getting seasick more or less guarantees that you will! I know people who get car sick but can go through extremely rough seas without any problem at all, and then get queasy sitting alongside the dock! I even knew a woman who got "seasick" while snorkelling!! The ginger remedies others have talked about seem to work (especially if you believe they will work) or keep some medication with you "just in case".

I was very skeptical from day one about them but the seabands from the drug store work also. We wear ours all the time on board ship, while flying, and anytime I'm riding in the back seat of the car or on a bus, I'll have on my seabands. But like someone said, once you start to feel sick it is too late. Gotta take them ahead of time well before sailing and take them on a regular basis. Since we don't drink, I wouldn't know about alcohol effects. If at all possible, I would ask my doctor what he recommends...

Archived