cab vs. hired driver?

sunseeker09

So we've decided that we want to go to a couple of beaches on our day on Barbados. Bottom Bay for sure, maybe Crane, maybe Foul Bay... maybe to Bathsheba, or maybe not... Perhaps ending with time for swimming/relaxing on Accra.

We ruled out the car rental idea due to advice here that driving on Barbados for a day can be a bit trying due to lack of signage... which is kinda too bad, as that seems the cheapest option, but not worth any stress.

Quite awhile back I countacted one of the tour guide/drivers suggested here. He quoted $135 for 3.5 - 4 hours of a tour. There's just 2 of us, so plus tip that seems a bit steep.

I *thought* I read somewhere about cabs running about $25 per hour to tour... so $100 for 4 hrs. Does that sound about right? I also see $38 to Bathsheba posted, which would be $76 return, but of course is just 1 destination.

I am just trying to get an idea of costs to budget, and to decide whether to pre book a (seemingly) more expensive driver ahead of time, or wing it when we get there?

Advice please?

• 2 weeks later...

Hired a taxi @ the port who took us and another couple for a 3-hour tour of the island. Went out to Bathsheba, stopping several places en route. When, at the end, we wanted to go to the Mount Gay tour, but the other couple didn't, he dropped them at the pier. He took us to the bottling works, got us tickets for the next tour and picked us up after the tour. Including tip, cost was $70 or less. Well worth it.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a great day.

Was that $70 each based on 4 of you? (no? that would be $280 for the car!) ...or $70 each couple maybe? So I guess we should be prepared to drop $140 in taxi fares... or find another couple interested in doing this too. Thanks.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a great day.

Was that $70 each based on 4 of you? (no? that would be $280 for the car!) ...or $70 each couple maybe? So I guess we should be prepared to drop $140 in taxi fares... or find another couple interested in doing this too. Thanks.

Sorry to be so vague. $70 per couple. We didn't find the other couple, the driver did. In Antigua we did the same thing, and when the driver couldn't find another couple after 30 minutes, we ended up on our own private tour no more $. I thought he might hand us off to some other cab driver, but I guess @ $70 he still makes money for the day. Only half of what he had hoped for.

Oh wow. Good deal! I didn't realize that the driver would put you with another couple for something like this. I expected if we ended up with a private tour we'd be paying more. If that happens for that price we'd sure tip well! The only place we are absolutely set on is Bottom Bay. Bathsheba and/or Crane would be nice, but we aren't really interested in too much time around town. If we (or he) can find a like minded couple that would be great. If the tour is about 3 hours we'll end at either Crane or Accra/Rockley with some beach time. Perfect. Thanks for your detailed help :)

Oh wow. Good deal! I didn't realize that the driver would put you with another couple for something like this. I expected if we ended up with a private tour we'd be paying more. If that happens for that price we'd sure tip well! The only place we are absolutely set on is Bottom Bay. Bathsheba and/or Crane would be nice, but we aren't really interested in too much time around town. If we (or he) can find a like minded couple that would be great. If the tour is about 3 hours we'll end at either Crane or Accra/Rockley with some beach time. Perfect. Thanks for your detailed help :)

When and what ship are you going on? Join your roll call and ask if anyone wants to join you from there, I bet you will find someone! Good luck!

Hired a taxi @ the port who took us and another couple for a 3-hour tour of the island. Went out to Bathsheba, stopping several places en route. When, at the end, we wanted to go to the Mount Gay tour, but the other couple didn't, he dropped them at the pier. He took us to the bottling works, got us tickets for the next tour and picked us up after the tour. Including tip, cost was $70 or less. Well worth it.

Hi Sunga,

We're interested in hiring a cab. I read somewhere that there are two areas for taxi. One right as you get off the ship and the other past the gate (or something like that). Where did you hire your cab driver? Did you feel safe?

Hi Sunga,

We're interested in hiring a cab. I read somewhere that there are two areas for taxi. One right as you get off the ship and the other past the gate (or something like that). Where did you hire your cab driver? Did you feel safe?

We found our driver in the first area as we got off the ship. We walked out past the first bunch of taxi drivers into the parking lot hoping to be the last couple into a cab so we wouldn't have to wait around for the driver to find another couple. We felt completely safe the entire time. the driver couldn't have been nicer.

We found our driver in the first area as we got off the ship. We walked out past the first bunch of taxi drivers into the parking lot hoping to be the last couple into a cab so we wouldn't have to wait around for the driver to find another couple. We felt completely safe the entire time. the driver couldn't have been nicer.

Thank you Shunga!

• 4 weeks later...

Were there any cabs that held six passengers?

Missy

Archived