Cinque Terre in 07/2010... General Thoughts

ajtraveler66

Currently seriously considering a day trip to Cinque Terre while at our port of call in Florence.

For those of you who have been to Cinque Terre, I welcome your comments. Also some suggestions on the best place to have a decent lunch--a lunch that reflects the flavors of the region.

(I have to confess that I had never heard of Cinque Terre until yesterday when I caught sight of it on the NCL threads... I think I might be hooked on it...).

We just went to Cinque Terre a few weeks ago. After looking at the logistics of doing it on our own by train, we signed up with RCCL for a shore excursion and we had a great time, with a very entertaining guide.

The villages are very quaint and pretty small so I think almost any place you picked for lunch would be authentic. Our guide recommended Da "Ely" in Monterosso. We had a wonderful lunch of pasta with clam sauce and spinach ravioli with pesto sauce. They poured the house wine from a spigot which we love. It's on Via Vittorio Emanuele N 15. They also had pizza.

I think you are on the right track. We have been on four Mediterrean Cruises and finally made it to Cinque Terre in August of 2008 on Carnival Freedom. I say this because I wanted the NCL in May of 2006 but the tour was cancelled because of a bicycle race. This place is one of those tours that rates very high in my opinion. If the weather is good you will be in for a real treat. See the attached picture. One picture says a thousand works. Tim

DSC00303.jpg.cf70b9ed33cc57f4d9a147fd4b66a718.jpg

Cinque Terre is five villages on the north Italian coast that are connected by a hiking trail or train. Instead of cars parked in the streets you will see boats. All are very quaint. You can see my pictures here:

http://cid-1e98e90214e77bf9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Med%20Cruise%20Sept%202009/IMG%5E_0210.jpg#resId/1E98E90214E77BF9!246

Cinque Terre is five villages on the north Italian coast that are connected by a hiking trail or train. Instead of cars parked in the streets you will see boats. All are very quaint. You can see my pictures here:

http://cid-1e98e90214e77bf9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Med%20Cruise%20Sept%202009/IMG%5E_0210.jpg#resId/1E98E90214E77BF9!246

Great pictures...thanks!!!!

We were also enamored with the idea of going to Cinque Terre after reading reviews here. Last summer we took the NCL excursion there after deciding that it was too risky to do on our own and there weren't a lot of choices of private tours. The NCL excursion was well done and we thoroughly enjoyed our day! I have some pics and a small review in our travelogue (link in signature).

The only thing we would do differently would be to find a private tour if it were available and highly recommended. It is much easier to travel with a group of 8-10 than a bus full of people; however, it did work out fine.

Currently seriously considering a day trip to Cinque Terre while at our port of call in Florence.

For those of you who have been to Cinque Terre, I welcome your comments. Also some suggestions on the best place to have a decent lunch--a lunch that reflects the flavors of the region.

(I have to confess that I had never heard of Cinque Terre until yesterday when I caught sight of it on the NCL threads... I think I might be hooked on it...).

We highly recommend Ciak in Monterosso http://www.ristoranteciak.it/ . We had our best meal in italy there.

• 1 month later...

We are booked to spend two nights in Florence following our cruise out of Venice. (The cruiseship arrives back in Venice on Friday and our flight out of Venice is not until Monday.) Originally we planned to take the train to Florence and then take a daytrip via the train from Florence to Pisa for a quick look and then to Cinque Terre. I think now that that imight be too ambitious. Is it also too ambitious to think we can cancel Pisa but still do Cinque Terre and head back to Florence in one day. Should we instead stay one night in Florence and the next in CT? I'd appreciate the advice from someone who has been to CT. Thanks

We are booked to spend two nights in Florence following our cruise out of Venice. (The cruiseship arrives back in Venice on Friday and our flight out of Venice is not until Monday.) Originally we planned to take the train to Florence and then take a daytrip via the train from Florence to Pisa for a quick look and then to Cinque Terre. I think now that that imight be too ambitious. Is it also too ambitious to think we can cancel Pisa but still do Cinque Terre and head back to Florence in one day. Should we instead stay one night in Florence and the next in CT? I'd appreciate the advice from someone who has been to CT. Thanks

Most things are possible, it all depends on what is important to you.

The train each way from Florence to Cinque Terre is about three hours. You could leave Florence around 7:30 in the morning, arrive at Levanto around 10:30, spend the day and leave around 5 PM and get back to Florence around 8 PM, in time for dinner. So yes, it is possible.

If you want to stop in Pisa, that cuts into your time at Cinque Terre. You'd need to allow at least an hour to get from Pisa Centrale to Piazza dei Miracoli and back, which would only leave you enough time to take some pictures and head back to the station.

You'll spend more time getting there and getting back than actually being there, but again, it depends on what is important to you.

My advice would be to stay in Venice; you don't have much time, and unless you've spent weeks there already, you probably haven't seen more than the surface. If you really need to get out of town for a day, consider a day trip from Venice to Verona.

If that doesn't fly, I'd say pick either the Cinque Terre or Florence, but don't try to do both in such a short period. You'll spend most of your time in transit and fairly little time actually being there.

Most things are possible, it all depends on what is important to you.

The train each way from Florence to Cinque Terre is about three hours. You could leave Florence around 7:30 in the morning, arrive at Levanto around 10:30, spend the day and leave around 5 PM and get back to Florence around 8 PM, in time for dinner. So yes, it is possible.

If you want to stop in Pisa, that cuts into your time at Cinque Terre. You'd need to allow at least an hour to get from Pisa Centrale to Piazza dei Miracoli and back, which would only leave you enough time to take some pictures and head back to the station.

You'll spend more time getting there and getting back than actually being there, but again, it depends on what is important to you.

My advice would be to stay in Venice; you don't have much time, and unless you've spent weeks there already, you probably haven't seen more than the surface. If you really need to get out of town for a day, consider a day trip from Venice to Verona.

If that doesn't fly, I'd say pick either the Cinque Terre or Florence, but don't try to do both in such a short period. You'll spend most of your time in transit and fairly little time actually being there.

Thank you Eurocruiser. That is a great help. We will be in Venice for days before the cruise so now we must choose Florence vs Cinque Terre.

Is Cinque Terre doable as a day trip from Portofino? Our ship will anchor off Porto Fino the night before so we'll truly have a full day to get up early and do a full day of touring and we don't depart until midnight.

Given your time in port, the trip is absolutely doable.

Archived