Scheduling things like Fitness or Pool

HattieCR

In your experience, what's the best way to schedule time at the Fitness Center, Pool or laundry? Early morning, late at night? Are these places ever closed? (I know it depends on the cruise line and the individual ship.) Is there really a problem with crowds? As a first-timer, I can't imagine how 1200 or more people can use one swimming pool or the Fitness Center or whatever. Thanks for any ideas.

Hello,

Self Service laundries are usually open from early morning to about 10 PM but some are open 24 hours. My DW uses the laundry about 8 AM and she has had no problems. Generally, ships will have sales on laundry...a large bag of laundry, picked up in your cabin and returned, washed and folded for $20.00 or so.

Swimming pools are usually never crowded but the areas surround the pools can be. The pools are usually open from early morning to about 9 or 10 PM but this may vary by ship. You will be able to go swimming whenever you want to, between approximately 7 AM and closing. On the ships we have been on (30 cruises) they clean the pool very early early in the morning about 5:00 AM.

Please remember that each ship is different.

On some ships the swimming pools are covered, or there is a solarium where the water is heated. The solariums are nice because it is usually a short distance from your lounge chair into the pool, there are showers to rinse off, and it is nice and quiet...nice place to read and really relax.

Hello,

Keep sending your questions. Your questions are well written and thoughtful. Further, I for one, cannot let someone who shares the same name with one of the greatest film actresses of all time, go off on a cruise unprepared.

In a hot environment, like the Caribbean in summer, the pools can be crowded mid-day. Lots of bodies floating around trying to stay cool.

I've found that the fitness centers can be very busy at some times. It can be difficult to get an elliptical or treadmill in the morning - maybe from 8 until 10 am. If you're there when they first open (usually 6 am) you'll have no problem. The fitness centers are also busier on sea days than on port days.

I like to go early - like 6 am - or mid-afternoon on a port day.

And contrary to what you'd think, a lot of people workout on the ship. It's the only way we can eat all that food and still fit into our clothes at the end of the week! :D

And to add to the above. You shouldn't have any trouble getting on to something in the fitness center. It doesn't get used much on cruises. :D

LOL! This depends on the length of the cruise and where you are cruising to! Just came off the Legend in October and you could hear crickets in the gym just about any time of day. It was usually me and the dancers working out. That was a 7 day to the Caribbean. In December, we did 14 days around Cape Horn/South America. The best time of day was 1:00 pm after the rest of the people who don't exercise on a regular basis finally stopped hogging the machines!

It's definitely hit or miss in the gym. But, in May on the Freedom, I had to run outside on the jogging track b/c I could never get a treadmill. It was pretty hot outside, and the track was pretty crowded, too. I went on sea days around 3:00 after laying out and it was quiet and uncrowded.

Archived