Will I need a wetsuit?

rarescrambler

We're going to be in the Bahamas Out Islands the first week in February on a barefoot cruise, so there will be lots of opp'y for watersports of various types. I've checked, and the stated temp of the water that time of year is 77.

I know this may sound silly, but I don't really have a concept on whether this is warm or cool, and if I'll need a wetsuit. I'd have to buy one, but don't want to if I don't need to, and don't want to lug it along if I won't need it.

I guess I can play with the water in my bath tub and try to get it as close to 77 as I can, get in and see how it feels.

Any other ideas?

Are you snorkeling or diving?

At 77 degrees the water is 21 degrees less than your body temp. I'd probably wear a 3/2 for diving.

Snorkeling- depends on air temp as well. It's usually warm all around in the Bahamas so I'd probably wear nothing, a shorty, or my 1mm full.

I've checked, and the stated temp of the water that time of year is 77.

I know this may sound silly, but I don't really have a concept on whether this is warm or cool, and if I'll need a wetsuit. I'd have to buy one, but don't want to if I don't need to, and don't want to lug it along if I won't need it.

For me, 77 is cold. I'd have to wear my 5mm full suit for diving.

Everyone's tolerance to cold is different, and because of this some people will think this is warm enough to snorkel without a wetsuit. Even in warmer water, a wetsuit is a good idea, especially for snorkeling because it will give UV protection and added buoyancy.

We're going to be in the Bahamas Out Islands the first week in February on a barefoot cruise, so there will be lots of opp'y for watersports of various types. I've checked, and the stated temp of the water that time of year is 77.

I guess I can play with the water in my bath tub and try to get it as close to 77 as I can, get in and see how it feels.

Any other ideas?

A tub of water is not going to be the same thing. The movement of cooler water over your body will transfer heat away from you. Basically, your body can heat up a tub full of water; your body cannot heat up the ocean.

The longer you stay on the ocean the colder you will get. Also, are you snorkeling or scuba diving? Being on the water surface with the sub to warm you will be a lot nicer than 60 feet under water.

Like Bruce, I'd need a 5mm wetsuit to be diving in 75F water. Additionally, if I was only going for one dive I might be able to get away with a 3mm wetsuit. If I was diving 5 times a day for a week I might consider wearing a 7mm wetsuit.

Finally, when I started scuba diving I was around 50 lbs overweight. I used to dive the Caribbean in skin. I've lost a lot of weight and have a lot less body fat. Even in 85F water I need a wetsuit now. Depending on your body and tolerance to cold, you will need something different.

Darrell

You might be able to rent a 3-mil wetsuit from a local dive shop at home before leaving on your cruise. You might also consult them on how much extra weight you'll need on your belt when wearing it.

I think the OP needs to define where they are going to dive, or just snorkel.

- - - busy weekend.

Thanks to everyone for your very wise advice and suggestions.

We will be snorkeling only. Based on responses rec'd, I think we would rather be safe than sorry. Now, I'm wondering about renting one there in Nassau rather than schlepping it back and forth on the plane. It would certainly require an extra checked bag - for $50. If we're able to rent there, that seems to make more sense, no? Is there something I'm not considering?

Thanks again.

- - - busy weekend.

We will be snorkeling only. Based on responses rec'd, I think we would rather be safe than sorry. Now, I'm wondering about renting one there in Nassau rather than schlepping it back and forth on the plane. It would certainly require an extra checked bag - for $50. If we're able to rent there, that seems to make more sense, no? Is there something I'm not considering?

Thanks again.

Just remember there are two types of people those that pee in wetsuits and those that lie about it. that being said I am taking my 3mil and plan on diving at two stops and may use it at other ports while snorkeling.

Just remember there are two types of people those that pee in wetsuits and those that lie about it. that being said I am taking my 3mil and plan on diving at two stops and may use it at other ports while snorkeling.

Exactly. You can get a 3mil shortie. Takes less room.

- - - busy weekend.

Thanks again.

For only snorkeling a rash guard shirt works well for me.

MY first time snorkeling the Bahamas without any protection my torso became thoroughly chilled after about 30 minutes.

I had to return to the boat to warm up before reentering.

Since then a rash guard shirt has served the purpose.

Besides providing some warmth, it helps to ward off the little stingy guys and also provides some UV protection. I now use it for all snorkeling trips.

They're relatively inexpensive and take up little luggage space.

here's an example.

http://www.isnorkel.com/category-exec/category_id/200/nm/Rashguards-sun-shirts

Your local dive shop should have them in stock.

Yes, I'd recommend a wet suit, too. Even only for snorkeling because it protects your back from sunburn. You will not notice the sun burning on your back because it'll be cooled by the water. Nonetheless you can get serious sunburns on back and calves.

In addition a (thin) wetsuit protects you from sharp edges and stingy fishes in the water.

Depending on your body size you'd like to bring your own suit, because usually dive shops have mostly regular sized suits available. Anyway there are still hygenic reasons to be considered.

The thickness of the suit depends on how much movement you want to do while snorkeling. If you only drift along and watch it needs to be thicker, if you plan on doing a lot of swimming and diving down to the bottom of the sea it can be thinner, because you'll produce more body heat.

If your suit is too warm, you can always open the zipper a bit so more water will flow through.

• 1 month later...
Get a shortie wetsuit. It will help keep you warm, protection from the sun and provide buoyancy as well. I'm packing mine for Caribbean in Feb.

For all the reasons you state - warmth, sun protection and buoyancy. We had to do the back and forth thing several times before we found the ones we think fit best. Still not great, but will probably suffice for as often as we'll be doing this.

Archived