Ticked at Cabin Steward on the Last Morning

Brad1185

The steward did not know that the OP was going to the Lido! Assume for a minute that the OP was not feeling well and went to the Medical Center before returning to his bed for a little more sleep. What would you say then?

Several posters have said that this was a misunderstanding. How so? There was nothing to understand or not.

I agree. Things in the room were not all packed up. The steward piled them on the bed. Unacceptable IMHO, which left the OP to handle the situation in his own way.

On the last morning on the Zaandam Hawaii cruise I get up the last morning, go to the Lido at 5:50am (I noticed the do not disturb sign was gone from the door) to beat the crowd and grab a quick breakfast, run back to the room (gone about 13 minutes) for a couple more hours of sleep only to find the beds put together and remade for the next cruise, even the luggage mats were out on the bed.

He had to be waiting and the second I was out of the room, they did all of this in 13 minutes.

All our things, cell phone, ipod, papers, bags, clothes, shoes, hats, shampoo, toiletries etc, which were still all over the room, were all gathered up and thrown into a pile on the couch.

Needless to say I was ticked. I thought we had the room until 8am or so.

With my anger growing I found the room guy, I let him know my feelings, I then decided to fill out the questionaire and gave him a poor rating, also went and reduced the tips as well, felt a little better.

Never seen this in 52 cruises. I have been asked to leave the room before 8 but have never seen this before.

You must have had the same cabin steward we had on the Zaandam only we were fortunate in not having left the cabin for breakfast. My first clue that there'd be a problem was that the Privacy card and the Breakfast Order card were both missing after the room had been made up the night before. I called and got a Breakfast Order card so we could have a last

in-cabin breakfast the next morning. We were to be in the last group for debarkation so were looking forward to a leisurely morning.

However, the room steward kept coming in every 15-30 minutes to tell us we had to leave the room. We told him we could stay until time for our group to leave and since the debarkation area was one flight down from us, there was no sense in our going to a crowded lounge instead. So we refused to leave, despite his constant popping-in.

We'd already turned in our comment cards so couldn't complain on that.

Our account had already been closed so we couldn't subtract any of his tip. We were NOT happy with that cabin steward! I understand your feelings perfectly even though our situation wasn't as bad as yours.

At the time it happened I was so worried about getting the new ones filled out and submitted that it never even crossed my mind to say something to anyone about it. This.. and the fact that it was our first cruise and we were definitely green.. I wouldn't have even known who to say something to.

When I found out that it was already submitted the girl behind the desk said it as if it was something that was a very common occurrence.

We left quite early the next day and we were in a pretty big hurry to catch our flight.

I don't see anything wrong with the steward's behavior. The passengers left the cabin. The stewards are on duty a little early the last day. They begin cleaning cabins as soon as passengers leave for breakfast. They may have to move some items to make beds or clean surfaces.

Why wasn't OP completely packed? Didn't they pack everything the previous evening?

People DO utilize carry-on type luggage for some of their things.

AG

The steward probably thought they were doing a favor. I have often had stewards tidy up my things that were on the desk or in the bathroom during a cruise.

"All our things, cell phone, ipod, papers, bags, clothes, shoes, hats, shampoo, toiletries etc, which were still all over the room, were all gathered up and thrown into a pile on the couch."

Sorry, but this is NOT my definition of "tidy up!"

I agree with the OP's actions.

AG

"All our things, cell phone, ipod, papers, bags, clothes, shoes, hats, shampoo, toiletries etc, which were still all over the room, were all gathered up and thrown into a pile on the couch."

Sorry, but this is NOT my definition of "tidy up!"

I agree with the OP's actions.

AG

As do I, AG. I also agree that the issue of tip dispersal is not the OP's problem.... It's HALs. :)

As I stated in the other thread, a passenger who is "ticked" and whose anger "grows" and only feels a "little better" after exacting financial revenge for this minor misunderstanding strikes me as having anger management issues, and is unlikely to have reported the events entirely objectively. (None of us ever do, completely, but someone who felt the need to let the steward know his "feelings" about the event and gone on to engage in financial retaliation for something which is, even in the best view, trivial, is hardly my idea of the most reliable reporter of events.) I would not encourage that kind of reaction by being supportive. JMHO.

You must have had the same cabin steward we had on the Zaandam only we were fortunate in not having left the cabin for breakfast. My first clue that there'd be a problem was that the Privacy card and the Breakfast Order card were both missing after the room had been made up the night before. I called and got a Breakfast Order card so we could have a last

in-cabin breakfast the next morning. We were to be in the last group for debarkation so were looking forward to a leisurely morning.

However, the room steward kept coming in every 15-30 minutes to tell us we had to leave the room. We told him we could stay until time for our group to leave and since the debarkation area was one flight down from us, there was no sense in our going to a crowded lounge instead. So we refused to leave, despite his constant popping-in.

This experience by NMLady is just as bad - a drip, drip type of bullying. I don't altogether understand the room steward's thinking here. They must know that a) most passengers will stand their ground and b) they stand no chance of the extra tip if one were to be forthcoming. Furthermore people having to ring up for breakfast cards, or taking the matter up at the time or later could get them in trouble for not following HAL's procedures.

As I stated in the other thread, a passenger who is "ticked" and whose anger "grows" and only feels a "little better" after exacting financial revenge for this minor misunderstanding strikes me as having anger management issues, and is unlikely to have reported the events entirely objectively. (None of us ever do, completely, but someone who felt the need to let the steward know his "feelings" about the event and gone on to engage in financial retaliation for something which is, even in the best view, trivial, is hardly my idea of the most reliable reporter of events.) I would not encourage that kind of reaction by being supportive. JMHO.

"My room steward is basically a nice guy. I just said to him I was unhapy that he came in room way too early and that I really wanted to go back to bed and did not like the way he put all our stuff in a pile and I was going to mention in the survey why I was giving him a low rating.

He really did say anything other than he had a lot of work to do on turnaround day, that was it, basically a short discussion."

AG

we just got off the westerdam and wondered why the cabin steward was

so indiffertent to us when we were leaving no good morning or goodbye'

more like good riddance..he came to the cabin at about 7am..opened the

door without knocking and curtly said to my wife he thought we had gone..we left about 15 mins later i said good bye and thanks did not

get an answer thought about reporting him and adjusting the tip..but

then concluded he might be having a bad as i do some times

It is a cruise isn't it? Why not go get a coffee or juice or whatever it may be and then snooze a little longer. Maybe the OP just wanted to enjoy his last morning of vacation. I don't blame him for being upset. On one of our Noordam cruises the steward asked us if he could make the bed while we were still in the room. We had already eaten breakfast and were finished packing. Of course we said no problem, he did not just do it without permission or make a pile of the few things we still had left in the cabin.

Same here...actually, he asked if he could make it up while we were at breakfast.

In fact, I think it was our cruise on the Noordam that the ship went into Code Red. Carol ("mamaofami") might remember this...she was on the same cruise with us.

I was a little taken aback that the steward asked to make up the bed...what if we'd had the Noro and hadn't reported it?

This is why I bring Clorox wipes and wipe down touchable surfaces when we board. But it's a little difficult to wipe down the bed! ;)

I don't think anyone's mentioned that by reducing the tips at the front desk, tips for every member of the crew were reduced as well. Many more than just the room steward were penalized.

If the OP reduced the tips by $15 then the tip pool was just reduced by about 3 cents per crew member.

I wonder if there is a disconnect with Housekeeping. Perhaps the Room Stewards are just following instructions given to them by their bosses, which they have to obey or be fired. Maybe the Head of Housekeeping needs to realize that guests are allowed to stay until their departure time and tell the stewards to wait. However it wouldn't surprise me if the Stewards are instructed to clean a room the minute the guest leaves and to keep checking where guests haven't left in the hopes that their department (and the Head of Housekeeping) gets bonus points/high rating for consistently having rooms ready by 1 pm (or whatever the standard HAL sets).

It was petty to reduce the crews tips in anger because of a misunderstanding with one cabin steward on the last morning.

I don't agree. I've never had such an experience, but I think that it was appropriate.

BTW: We always tip up front 20 bucks with a request to keep us loaded in ice, several dollars on the bed every day, as well as service charge.

Soooooo, I doubt that it's a matter of being "petty" or cheap. I'm guessing that it's a matter of principle.

Yes, Sheila, it was our second cruise on the Noordam when the ship went into code red. One of the people on our roll call blamed it on the conditions of the bathroom at the pier.

I think there's a lot of merit to that opinion. They were pretty gross (the bathrooms in NYC at the time).

I don't agree. I've never had such an experience, but I think that it was appropriate.

BTW: We always tip up front 20 bucks with a request to keep us loaded in ice, several dollars on the bed every day, as well as service charge.

Soooooo, I doubt that it's a matter of being "petty" or cheap. I'm guessing that it's a matter of principle.

I did not say anything about cheap or even implying such a motive. I think the other person was truly upset but I think his response was wrong, not appropriate. If he was unhappy with the incident and/or the stewards response to his being unhappy then he should take it up with management. As a matter of principle if a staff member is doing so wrong that I get upset I do complain. Complaining can fix a problem. Taking $15 off the tip is petty.

However it wouldn't surprise me if the Stewards are instructed to clean a room the minute the guest leaves and to keep checking where guests haven't left in the hopes that their department (and the Head of Housekeeping) gets bonus points/high rating for consistently having rooms ready by 1 pm (or whatever the standard HAL sets).

This.

It needs to be emphasized that while the stewards have all day to freshen rooms during the cruise, they have half that amount of time to do twice as much work on embark day. Imagine just having to change sheets in 20 rooms between 10a (when most passengers leave) and 1p (when they announce to the next group that rooms are available)... much less all the cleaning, scrubbing, transporting, vacuuming, tidying and organizing.

I'm not saying being short with the customer is excusable, just ... understandable.

This.

It needs to be emphasized that while the stewards have all day to freshen rooms during the cruise, they have half that amount of time to do twice as much work on embark day. Imagine just having to change sheets in 20 rooms between 10a (when most passengers leave) and 1p (when they announce to the next group that rooms are available)... much less all the cleaning, scrubbing, transporting, vacuuming, tidying and organizing.

I'm not saying being short with the customer is excusable, just ... understandable.

Totally agree with your comments. I just think that maybe the wrong person was punished in this instance. There seems to be way too many similar stories being told in this thread and in other threads for it to be just this one Steward was overstepping his bounds to make me think that perhaps this is how Housekeeping as a whole is being run on HAL. For whatever reason, be it quarterly bonuses that the Head of Housekeeping gets or bonus points for promotion, it seems that there is a disconnect with what passengers are being told and what the Stewards are being instructed to do.

Perhaps what a passenger needs to do is let their Steward know the night before that they plan on staying in their cabin until their departure time and that they would like to not be disturbed during that time. Also mention that if there is a problem with this request have the Steward's boss come and see them. That way there shouldn't be any misunderstandings and the Steward won't be punished by the passenger (low rating or reduced tips) nor by his boss.

I did not say anything about cheap or even implying such a motive. I think the other person was truly upset but I think his response was wrong, not appropriate. If he was unhappy with the incident and/or the stewards response to his being unhappy then he should take it up with management. As a matter of principle if a staff member is doing so wrong that I get upset I do complain. Complaining can fix a problem. Taking $15 off the tip is petty.

Again, I don't think it was petty at all. And you can be certain that management became aware of this situation as a result of cancellation of service charge. I continue to back the cruiser 100%

Archived