Randi's Happy Horses Question

blueladybug

We are on the Sapphire Princess on the March 11th sailing and sent in the reservation request from her website. We received a reply back from her the next day saying that she was full for the day we were going to be in Mazatlan. I responded back to her asking if she ever had cancellations, and to my surprise and delight, two days later I had a return e-mail from her saying that she did just that day have two cancellations and if I wanted to ride the spots were mine.

She was very responsive to my e-mails and seems like a real genuine person. My wife and I are very excited about riding with her.

Hi
Can some one tell me how much this famous shrimp dish costs at Victor's please?! And is one portion big enough for two. Also how much is a beer [I know Randi buys the first one but sure I will need more..!]. I am guessing that Victor's take payment in US$ too? Thanks!

I wish I could remember exactly how much the lunch was but I do know it was very inexpensive and the portions were huge. Take small bills as it is hard for Victor's to break large bills. Our ride was about 90 minutes. You can ride the horses at your own speed - I was content with just walking along but there were others who would go ahead and then come back. Whatever you are comfortable with. It is the best time - enjoy (and HI to Randi)

I'm thinking the ride part of it was about an hour or so - we hung out on the beach for a few hours eating, drinking, taking banana boat rides! Truly - we didn't want to leave! I don't remember how much the shrimp was, but I do remember that it was very inexpensive and that Mario couldn't finish his (the shrimp were HUGE!!!) He is looking forward to having it again! I'm not into seafood, and I ordered a chicken quesadilla that was also HUGE and yummy!

[quote name='little britain']Hi
Can some one tell me how much this famous shrimp dish costs at Victor's please?! And is one portion big enough for two. Also how much is a beer [I know Randi buys the first one but sure I will need more..!]. I am guessing that Victor's take payment in US$ too? Thanks![/quote?]
[COLOR=black]Lunch was very inexpensive at Victor's.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I remember we ordered 2 fresh mango juices, a side order of Onion Rings, and an order of Garlic Shrimp that included rice, onion rings, vegies, etc. for about $12 US. We had been on the ship and weren't all that hungry, so shared the Shrimp order, which was plenty. The shrimp was so good that next time I'm getting my own order though! Literally the best tasting shrimp I had ever had. Everything at Victor's was very good. Nice place hang out on the beach. Nice restrooms with showers by Mexican standards. Chris the waiter is great. I'm going back when I'm in Mazatlan again. I felt very comfortable there. The atmosphere there is very tropical feeling.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][COLOR=black]They do take US dollars no problem.[/COLOR] [/COLOR]

Trust me...Randi is great...the value is there...and even if it cost 10 times as much...it will be one of the special events of your life...if you are a "baby-boomer" you will value your experiences more than your money (and this experience is very reasonable!) LuAnn

[quote name='morriscats']Victor's also has a combo plate with ribs, garlic and battered shrimp - it was huge! Don't forget those onion rings and that guacomole! Oh gosh, I am getting hungry for Victor's - better go see my TA!!!! Hi Randi!!! :>)))[/quote]
[COLOR=black]OK Morriscats, now I'm hungry too!! I'm going to have that combo plate next time. I forgot to mention the great homemade salsa and chips served to everyone. Hi Randi also. See you soon...[/COLOR]

Chris' onion rings are the BEST onion rings I have ever had! DH & I had to wrestle over the last one! I still rave about those rings. And to eat shrimp that was caught that morning. Folks, it doesn't get any fresher than that. I think we paid like $20 for ribs, shrimp & however many Pacifico's we had. Not a better deal to be had in Mexico... I will be drooling until we see Randi again in January!!

[quote name='suziehmkr']Chris' onion rings are the BEST onion rings I have ever had! DH & I had to wrestle over the last one! I still rave about those rings. And to eat shrimp that was caught that morning. Folks, it doesn't get any fresher than that. I think we paid like $20 for ribs, shrimp & however many Pacifico's we had. Not a better deal to be had in Mexico... I will be drooling until we see Randi again in January!![/quote] Guys - many thanks for your replies and recommendations for what to eat - you can all just think of me and DH with those cold beers and that fantastic shrimp [and onion rings] on Saturday 18th......we'll have one for you!!!!:D

We're thinking of doing a ride with Randi after reading these great comments. Do they pick you up at the pier? The ride is an 1 - 1 1/2 hours long...am I right? Then lunch at Victors. It sounds like you can swim and hang out at the beach while at Victors or after you eat? How do you get back to the ship? Can you stay longer if you want to enjoy the beach?

I appreciate your responses.

kathib

Kathi,
We live in Napa - we are neighbors! Randi handles all transportation from the pier and back again. We have gone in August and October and the water at the beach was so warm and the beach was so great. It was horribly hot in Mazatlan but there was a nice breeze at Victor's. So enjoyable. Any questions gladly answered.

[quote name='cakelover']After Randi's tour, do you usually go back directly to the cruise, or do anything else? Does Randi drop you directly at the port? I would like to utilize every minute I have there. Thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]

Randi dropped us off at the ship about 1:30. Plenty of time to take a taxi around town to see the sights. If you get a chance, go downtown the the Cathedral, its quite impressive. We also went to the Theatre, the market and the lookout point. It took about 2 hours, and cost under $20 for the taxis.

hova

Morriscats,

How funny that you live in Napa...small world. We live on Fulton Lane just off Hwy. 29. One daughter is in college but our younger one is a sophomore at Justin-Siena. Where in Napa are you?

We are trying to decide between horseback riding with Randi or a full day tour with Mazatlan Frank that would include a couple hours for lunch and beach relaxation. I'm going with my sister and we both love horses but Frank's tour seems like such a great way to really see Mazatlan. We plan to just go to the beach in Cabo and wanted some sightseeing in Mazatlan.Sounds like people really love Randi's so now I am torn. Any advise? Can you swim and hang out at the beach at Victor's after the ride? Let me know what you think.

KathiB

Kathi,
We probably have seen each other at some point in time. We live off Highway 29 also - Wine Country turn off. I read your profile and notice you are a singer - my DH also sings. He works for Santa Rosa Jr. College and entertains seniors at retirement facilities in Santa Rosa, Sonoma and Napa. He specializes in 40's stuff - Sinatra, show tunes and Hawaiian music. Small world huh. I was married before and my husband and I were in an auto accident Labor Day 98 at Wine Country and Solano and he was killed instantly. Perhaps you remember that. As far as Randi and Mazatlan Frank, we have only done Randi's but we did meet Frank and they are good friends so whatever you decide I know you will have a great time. Victor's is right on the beach - on a high tide day your feet will probably get wet it is that close. A gentle sloping beach. My kids and grandkids loved it. Randi is a hoot - everyone who meets her loves her. If you want to email me, it is morriscats at aol dot com - put something in the subject line so I won't delete you.

:D :D We rode with Randi last April..It was my first time on a horse..my dh and 12 year old dd..had a wonderful time as did I....Randi has everything under control..she has been doing this for years..she matches you up with a horse you can handle...the beach is lovely.. the lunch was yummy and inexpensive..I recomend wearing pants...hubby got sores on his legs as did a few other people..the only bad thing i noticed were the bees around Victors..they were after the beer and soda...but they were very docile and nobody got stung....I am thinking about booking again for April this year...:D

We rode Randi's ride last Wednesday. I was so worried that I would not enjoy it because I have my own horses, but I LOVED IT!! We met Randi at the pier and waited for the rest of our group. There was 8 people on our ride. We then rode in a little truck to the other pier and got in a little boat to go the island. It was amazing to see the fishing boats and people working. We got the island and Randi told us all about the people over there. We then rode in another little truck to the horses. They had a lot of horses and they were all ready to go. We were matched up with horses suitable for our skill level and off we went. We walked down to the beach and it was breathtaking! No one was around for miles! We were never told what we could or couldn't do as far as speed, they just knew who was experienced and who had never been on a horse. Awhile down the beach we stop and had pictures taken. Then we went back up the palm trees for a bit and then back to the beach to head back. On the way back my husband and I went all out down the beach while the others just walked back. I was on a pretty little horse named Frickels and my husband was on a horse named Palamino. We then got to Vistors and ate. It was fabulous! We both had quasadilla's. I had shrimp and he had chicken. Very good! Randi ate with us and kept us all entertained. She is a hoot! After that we walked back to the pier, caught a boat back and rode the little truck back to the pier where our ship was. Randi gave us all a hug and left. She was great and so was her staff, Tony and Maria (i think that was her name). I definatly recommend this to anyone, experience horsemen or children. It was an incredible to ride on the beach.
Just a note, I wore shorts and shoes. My husband wore pants and shoes. I had no problem with the shorts on the saddle, but I wore shorts to ride in the summer all the time. They also put a towel on it for you to save your legs.
If I knew how, I would post photos. Maybe I will learn.
kalishea

Hi there!

We are seriously considering this but we have six kids...I know the 16 year old boy will be fine. Ditto the two 13 year old twin boys. Then I have my doubts about an 8 year old girl, and 3 and 2 year old youngsters. Would Randi let the 8 year old girl ride alone on a tame horse and each toddler ride with my husband and I? Would this even be comfortable? Would it even be safe? I can't think of any other way unless I left the younger kids on the boat if Carnival Spirit offers camp during port. Also, does the beach have waves or rent boogie boards? I know my three older boys would love the banana boat! How much was that??

We are going April 9th. Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions!!

Stephanie

Stephanie,
The best thing is the mail Randi - [email]randi@randishappyhorses.com[/email] and see how she wants to handle it. If it is possible to make it work, then she will do it. Also, she fills up quickly so availability of horses my limit your options. So email her right away to see if she can work it up for you.

Tina

Randi will help you get the banana boats for your kids. We didn't do this so I don't know how much it was - not much though. Victor's has boogie boards they let the kids use free. Your 8 year old will ride alone and love it. If you don't want to take the younger ones, one of you just go with Randi to Victor's and wait for the riders to come back. I could not get my grandkids to come in out of the water to eat - the beach was beautiful.

Archived