Has anyone hired a cheap taxi for the day cheaper than a tour?

CapeFearCruiser

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Roatan in the beginning of December. Not sure if that is a busy time on the island or not. I have been reading numerous threads on reputable guides.

The issue we have is for two ppl $80 plus tip is way too much for us. Also, we do not like "structured" guides and like to wander off the beaten path. Victor and Ronny sound wonderful if we could afford it, but we would not have any interest in seeing his house, monkees, etc.

Ideally, we want to snorkel off of West Bay for a few hours and then have someone drive us around and show us the island, get out for a bit and learn of the history and culture.

I read some ppl recommended hooking up with others from our cruise. That is something we would not want to do (would feel held down).

Has anyone on here ever just hired a taxi for 4-5 hours at a reasonable price? I was hoping to find a taxi and talk him down to around $50 for the day(4-5 hrs) plus tip. All the ports/excursions start to add up!:D

If it can't be done, such is life....but if anyone has any advice it would be very appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Tara

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Roatan in the beginning of December. Not sure if that is a busy time on the island or not. I have been reading numerous threads on reputable guides.

The issue we have is for two ppl $80 plus tip is way too much for us. Also, we do not like "structured" guides and like to wander off the beaten path. Victor and Ronny sound wonderful if we could afford it, but we would not have any interest in seeing his house, monkees, etc.

Ideally, we want to snorkel off of West Bay for a few hours and then have someone drive us around and show us the island, get out for a bit and learn of the history and culture.

I read some ppl recommended hooking up with others from our cruise. That is something we would not want to do (would feel held down).

Has anyone on here ever just hired a taxi for 4-5 hours at a reasonable price? I was hoping to find a taxi and talk him down to around $50 for the day(4-5 hrs) plus tip. All the ports/excursions start to add up!:D

If it can't be done, such is life....but if anyone has any advice it would be very appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Tara

It sounds like what you want to do is exactly what the independent tour guides offer. Since you are not hooked up with others, you get to choose what you want to see and do. I suspect there are others that offer similar tours if you are comfortable hopping into a taxi with someone you know nothing about. Maybe you would get a good tour or maybe not. Personally, I would choose a recommended tour guide.

On a side note, if you are cruising with Carnival, Princess or Holland America, they have decided to forbid private guides from entering their new port. Any customers who choose to use an independent guide will have to walk a ways outside the port area to reach the guides.

They do not want to compete with independent operators, as they are hoping to keep all the excursion money for themselves.

Talk to some of the taxi drivers at the pier. They can make suggestions and can accommadate you in many ways.

On our last visit to Roatan we hired a driver at the pier, told him what we wanted to do. He made some suggestions, took us to a nice beach for snorkeling and dropped us off with a plan to pick us up at 2:00. At noon it started to rain and we were debating on what to do when our driver pulled up and asked if we wanted to ride back to the ship or go somewhere else. He took us back to the ship. Now that is service. The best thing about this set up is, we didn't have to pay him until we were back at the pier. I guess that gives them an incentive to be on time.;)

Thank you all for your suggestions:o

A day ago I decided to break down and just book with Rony's Freestyle Tours. I have read so many good things about his tours that I really felt he would be a good choice. We have emailed back and forth quite and bit and he is very sweet.

Reefcrazy thank you so much! If I hadn't committed to Rony I would def. email your contact. I always like spreading the love and hope that someone else will see this post and grab them up.

Out of all the stops I am really looking forward to Roatan. Thanks for the tip on the new dock (Mahagoney Bay). I have been reading all the new threads on their decision. I really hope it doesn't mess with the locals and their bread and butter. We are capable of walking outside of the port but others may not be with hills. So depressing.

Thanks for all your help!

Tara

Archived