Don't take too much luggage on Amtrak train to San Diego

Look2Sea

Don't take too much luggage on Amtrak because you need to carry your luggage up to the upper level (about 11 steps).

The seating on the lower level is disabled seating, and your luggage must fit in the overhead storage which will accommodate carry on size luggage.

I took a heavy good sized suit case.

On the way to San Diego, due to ignorance I sat on the lower level and attached my luggage to the bike rack.

When getting off the train, the Amtrak official told me that on my return I would need to carry my luggage upstairs, and suggested that next time I bring smaller luggage.

I dreaded the return trip but managed to get my suitcase up the stairs.

Actually it wasn't as bad as I anticipated because you can help push it up the stairs with your knee. But next time I will take less luggage.

When we take AMTRAC to NYC we always try to get business class. There seems to be more room at the front and the back where a suitcase can sit. But yes you handle your own luggage and "mind the gap" means lifting not just dragging. Having to haul your luggage around airports, stations etc. is the reason I take less luggage and my hand luggage now has wheels also as some halls are so LONG>

Don't take too much luggage on Amtrak because you need to carry your luggage up to the upper level (about 11 steps).

I'm travelling from Los Angeles Union Station to San Diego next month. Having come off a cruise I'll have a medium size suitcase- ie larger than carry-on. Will travelling business class make this easier? Can it be stored other than overhead in bus. class? Smaller luggage is not an option.

You will need to carry the suitcase up a narrow flight of steps, then there is a shelf to store it on. Or you can check it. Make sure it is not over 50 lbs. for checking.

As far as getting on the train in San Diego, we made the 9:30 train without problem last month even though the early self disembarkation didn't begin until 9:10 due to late immigration clearance. We used a pedicab to get there, very quick. Charged us $13 but we still felt it was worth it.

You will need to carry the suitcase up a narrow flight of steps, then there is a shelf to store it on. Or you can check it. Make sure it is not over 50 lbs. for checking.

Thanks -very helpful- I hadn't considered checking luggage but definitely that is the best option.

Karen

There is also room for a piece of large luggage or several smaller pieces on the floor next to your legs (not in the aisle of course). There is way more floorspace around your seats that on a plane. Also on weekdays the train may not be too crowded especially late morning to early afternoon.

From San Juan Capistrano to San Diego and return,

I was not given option of checking luggage.

I was not booked on business class so maybe business class is different (I don't know).

On my return train trip, the Amtrak official told someone that he could not keep luggage in the empty seat area next to him.

I recommend calling Amtrak for specific information about luggage handling.

You can only check baggage at certain stations along the LA to San Diego route. This is limited to these trains and stations: 768, 572, 774, 784, and 596 at Los Angeles, Fullerton, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Oceanside, and San Diego.

You can only check baggage at certain stations along the LA to San Diego route. This is limited to these trains and stations: 768, 572, 774, 784, and 596 at Los Angeles, Fullerton, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Oceanside, and San Diego.

Thanks for the great information :)

When I was researching our trip on the Coast Starlight (going up to Seattle), I found that checking baggage was an option for some of the stations. So that added to the planning of logistics for us. You can find this info on the Amtrak website (look up the desired station to get the details).

Archived