Renting a car in Honolulu

rge

Just noticed that our tour of the Missouri and the Arizona Memorial has been canceled due to the Mighty Mo being in dry dock. So we're thinking of renting a car. Are there car rental agencies near the port and is a car rental a good idea for Honolulu?

If you want to explore outside of Honolulu a car is a must. If you are just staying in town, a car may not be necessary. Driving in Honolulu is rather challenging as there is a lot of traffic.

There is no car rental at the port. Most are located at the airpoirt. We rented from the Budget located in Honolulu at the Hyatt because it was a little closer to the dock than the airpoirt. We loved having a car and explored the north shore and did a full loop around the island.

Just noticed that our tour of the Missouri and the Arizona Memorial has been canceled due to the Mighty Mo being in dry dock. So we're thinking of renting a car. Are there car rental agencies near the port and is a car rental a good idea for Honolulu?

We've rented many times. Last one was from National. They pick you up and take you back to their office which is about 5 minutes away.

Someone mentioned it being challenging driving on Oahu. I find it better than most cities, so it all depends on what kind of driver you are and what you consider heavy traffic.

Someone mentioned it being challenging driving on Oahu. I find it better than most cities, so it all depends on what kind of driver you are and what you consider heavy traffic.

That was me Pia. I actually live in the Los Angeles area so I'm used to driving in high traffic areas. My comment was really regarding driving within the city of Honolulu. Even with all of our years driving in Los Angeles, I found getting around Honolulu a bit frustrating because of the congestion. I guess I'm just not as willing to deal with traffic jams when I'm on vacation.

But I would agree that Oahu outside of Honolulu is not a difficult driving experience. It's very easy to navigate.

That was me Pia. I actually live in the Los Angeles area so I'm used to driving in high traffic areas. My comment was really regarding driving within the city of Honolulu. Even with all of our years driving in Los Angeles, I found getting around Honolulu a bit frustrating because of the congestion. I guess I'm just not as willing to deal with traffic jams when I'm on vacation.

But I would agree that Oahu outside of Honolulu is not a difficult driving experience. It's very easy to navigate.

OMG! :eek: You drive in LA and think Honolulu is tough? I think anyone who can drive your Freeways (especially the 101) can drive anywhere in the world. Maybe also the 5, and the 405, and.............. :D

Last time, we rented a Mustang convertible online from one of the car rental places in Waikiki. Don't remember which, but it was in a hotel lobby. We took a cab there right after the ship docked. (National may pick you up?) Got our car within minutes and we were all over that island the entire day. We first went to the Arizona. Then up to Sea Life Park to swim with the dolphins ... excellent old style sea park. Back to the ship for a quick shower (parking right at the dock) and then over to the Royal Hawaiian for a luau. Then, we took the car back to the drop off hotel, walked Waikiki for a bit, grabbed a cab to the ship and got back on board about 10:00 p.m. to sail at 11. It was a great, but full day.

Honolulu / Oahu is pretty easy by LA standards. With GPS now in most rentals, can't imagine doing anything but our own car.

A rental car is a great way to go, GO, AND GO!

Archived