Help! RCCL Skagway 8hr tour versus Chilkoot 7.5 hr tour????

We're going on a repo next Sept 2010. Both excursions look identical but RCCL does not say they go to Bennett or Emerald Lakes, Chilkoot does. Has anyone been on these excursions? Recommendations are very welcome. They are both priced the same etc. HELP! :confused::eek::confused:

We did the Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion tour with Chilkoot and LOVED it. We were on the same train as the RCI people but in different cars and ours weren't full (the RCI ones were). The train ride had beautiful scenery and was very informative.

When we got to the border we checked in with customs and got on a small bus (held 14 people or so). We got to stop often and take pictures. The lunch was quite tasty and the huskies were adorable.

I can't comment on the RCI tour but I would recommend the tour in general.

Have fun!

We did the Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion tour with Chilkoot and LOVED it. We were on the same train as the RCI people but in different cars and ours weren't full (the RCI ones were). The train ride had beautiful scenery and was very informative.

When we got to the border we checked in with customs and got on a small bus (held 14 people or so). We got to stop often and take pictures. The lunch was quite tasty and the huskies were adorable.

I can't comment on the RCI tour but I would recommend the tour in general.

Have fun!

Thanks Digatal Curator-Now if I could just hear from someone who has been on RCCL Skagway 8.25 hr tour, I could judge which one but would like to hear something to compare them. I hear only wonderful things about Chilkoot, and we're not a ship excursion couple. We like the private more intimate ones, seem to learn a whole more, when they are talking to 15 people rather than 50! A lot more photo ops also when there are less people, less time getting on and off the bus! :D

Jan

We took the Chilkoot Charters tour in Sept this year. Larry and Kathy are the owners, live fulltime in Skagway and provide wonderful tours. We,too, took the train with the RCCL people but we had our own car with 18 people in it. This let us move freely back and forth to various seats to view the gorgeous scenery. I have booked them again for our next Alaska adventure!

I, too, used Chilkoot and was very satisfied. We took the 7.5 hour tour (the 9 hour was unavailable due to a track washout between Fraser and Bennett) and visited Emerald Lake and Caribou Crossing. Our guide was very knowledgeable and humorous. He stopped anytime we asked. He even turned around once when one of the passengers spotted a bear crossing the road. We had our own train car and it wasn't crowded at all. We could pretty much sit anywhere we wanted and move around easily. We hope to return to Alaska someday. When we do, we want to do the 9 hour tour. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Anne:)

Thanks everyone. I guess the RCCL excursion isn't that great, did not see anyone posting their experience. Since I have no way of knowing, think we'll probably go with Chilkoot. Sounds like that tour is worth bragging about! :D

You input was most helpful and informative, thanks so much!

Jan

Archived