The Motion of the Ocean

Pebbles1967

Does anyone know if any of these seasick meds come in liquid form for children?

Not that I'm aware of, but I'd recommend talking to a pediatrician first anyways as many of the medications can have adverse effects even when designed for children. S/he may even suggest an antihistamine, which is one of the common ways they treat motion sickness in children; however, they often cause drowsiness or excitability depending on the child.

^^^^What Mick said. ^^^^

We had the pleasure of getting a private bridge tour on the Magic in February, and I specifically asked the First Officer about the stabilizers. He told us exactly what Mick reported - - the stabilizers are used about 90% of the time while at sea, and that they have minimal effect on the ship's speed or fuel consumption.

For those not familiar with the stabilizers, they are basically like very large airplane wings under the water that are recessed into the hull sides when not in use. When extended, they minimize the side-to-side rolling action in high seas and high winds.

We've never had an uncomfortable amount of action on any of our cruises on DCL.

Just a note to add: the stabilizers ONLY dampen rolling and not pitching, which is the up and down movement. If it is very rough, which rarely is a concern in the Caribean, the ship will pitch up and down. On our transatlantic on QE2, we encountered large swells a day out of the UK (barf bags were deployed in the public areas) and the ship did not deploy the stabilizers, according to the crew, since they would not have had any effect on the pitching. There was very little rolling either, but that was a result of our course and the sea state. Sitting in the cabin, the motion easily would rock me to sleep.

I cannot read in a moving car, or in a plane, so I am subseptible to motion sickness. I found myself getting a bit queasy on the transatlantic one morning while I was in the computer center staring at a screen. Going up on deck cured that. I have resisted taking any meds, but they do have a shot that is quite effective.

Does anyone know if any of these seasick meds come in liquid form for children?

If your kids are 12 and under you shouldn't give any of thos seasick meds. At least that's what the pharmacist told me last week and I believe it since they are pretty strong.

Archived