Horseback Riding Attire

Newcruiser06

I've just booked the Horseback Riding Excursion on Grand Turk. At home - in MIchigan - I have boots and jeans that I would wear to horseback ride.

But - what do you wear in the Caribbean? I really don't think my boots should go with me on the cruise. Even Jeans seem heavy - but it's hard to imagine riding with my capris and sandals. So what do you take?:o

I like to ride horses when traveling and unless your excursion is a beach ride and also in the water, I would wear long pants/slacks of some kind. The horses don't mind sweating (in Mexico and Hawaii) and shorts can be uncomfortable, but capri's seem like they would work.

Also, I noticed that tennis shoes are sometimes not user friendly with stirrups, so a shoe with at least a small heel, while not replacing boots, were a better alternative. Have a fun ride.

Can you ask the folks who do the excursion?

Do they still sell those sneakers that have heels so you can ride in them? Those would be better than bringing riding boots. I used to have those when they first came out.

If they use leather saddles, you'd definitely want long pants or chaps. If they use alternative material saddles, you might be able to get away with shorts or capris (though those stirrups might still rub...).

If it is a beach ride, from the photos I've seen of various similar excursions, folks sometimes ride bareback.

Also, I noticed that tennis shoes are sometimes not user friendly with stirrups, so a shoe with at least a small heel, while not replacing boots, were a better alternative. Have a fun ride.

Yes, shoes without heels can be dangerous when riding with stirrups! With no heel, your foot is more likely to go through the stirrup, getting caught on your leg, and if you fall off, you would be dragged, causing injury or death. I know some places allow ppl to ride without heels while using stirrups, but I wouldn't do it unless they had one of those preventive covers attached to the stirrups so that a foot cannot go through.

Thank you for your replies! I am going to look into those sneakers with heels that sounds like a good option.

The excursion is part trail and part in the water. It says they change the saddles on the horses between. I should go look for pictures.

And maybe I can find pictures of the excursion that show what the saddles look like.

Thanks again!

Archived