Shore excursions on Island Princess

Arlened236

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any information about the shore excursions on the Island Princess in Hawaii...our cruise is in Feb 2005 and I was hoping that someone that returned recently could offer some suggestions.

I read about renting a car, but my husband would prefer not to do this. I will be using my w/c but I can walk short distances and climb stairs (on to a bus for example).

PS Splinter how was your cruise?

Arlene

Arlene:

I tried to reply to your e-mail, but it bounced (maybe a spam filter?) so I've copied my reply below...

Hi Arlene:

Well I didn't specify the season because I wasn't really sure. My hubby keeps me so well supplied with them, that I'm pretty oblivious to the season. I asked him this morning and he said they are a "winter item" so it is probably near the end of the season. I'll send you a time along just in case you can't find any.

Thanks for the comments about Emerging Horizons.

BTW, I noticed your email address referred to birds. You might find this personal (hidden) section of my professinal website interesting:

http://www.candyharrington.com/pigeons

Candy Harrington

We did not take any ship's tours due to the notorious difficulty we have had in the past in getting any accurate information about true accessibility features of any Princess tours. We rented cars in Maui and Kauai, were supposed to have one in Hilo but were stiffed by Alamo there. We had an accessible shuttle into town there, and I hear (now) that some of the local places that provide shuttles for shopping, etc. can provide a lift van, but not without a 24 hour notice (of course this is an ADA violation...but we won't go there now). We just did things we could walk to in Kona, and in Honolulu we took an accessible cab, although I think we could have done as well with The Bus (as we did on our last trip). You can get accessible tours, but they are few and far between, and the times generally do not fit with the ship's hours in port. I know when we went on HAL we had a much easier time determining which tours were truely accessible. Not sure why your husband does not want to drive...we find it the easiest way by far to see what we want to see, for the time we want.

Thanks for the input on possible Princess tours...I felt that there were probably none..As to why my husband does not want to drive...Although I have my licence and do drive...he drives most of the time and I think he wants just to be a tourist.

My sister works for AARP in DC and she sends me frequent information about the various law suits against the cruise lines. It looks like sometime in the near future they will have to comply with ADA or lose the accessibility to American ports. I sure hope so, but I am not holding my breath. I know how difficult it is to get business in my local village to comply to ADA ( I am a member of our Commision on Disabilities)

The Chicago Sun Times newspaper today had an article in their travel section on 'the Bus' very interesting...but it was a complete tour of the island starting in Alamowana shopping center, for $2. Probably took longer than we are in port.

I would definately not plan on the all-day Bus tour around the island for a 1 day stop in Honolulu, but if you walk about 3 blocks inland from the cruise ship terminal you can catch the Bus to Waikiki, the Aquarium and other local sights. All the buses have lifts (and they work!).

Keep in mind that the cruise line does not own the tour companies. ADA compliance is already required of the tour companies if they are on USA territory such as Hawaii, but apparently there is not a very organized disability community in Hawaii, or they are too laid back to worry about tourists and other ADA issues. ADA compliance throughout the state is much lower than you will find in a state such as California. I have even been told that the ADA "doesn't apply here" by people in Hawaii (last I checked, Hawaii became a state in 1959)!!!

Don't know about your husband, but I feel more like I am on vacation when I we get a car than I do when we take a tour. The latter requires us to go where and when the tour company wants to go, and I hate the herd mentality of getting on/off the bus and herded through sights. Having a car is freedom to me. Why don't you do the driving?

Thanks Splinter for the good information. Getting ADA compliance is always a problem. Many business's feel it does not apply to them, and there are so few enforcing the rules.

We will reconsider renting a car...do we have to do that before we leave home? You said you did not get a car that you had requested, is that a usual problem? Approx. how much does it cost to rent a car (not a compact) I do not need a van as I can fold my w/c and get in a regular size car.

Thanks Arlene

We did good car service from Alamo in the other ports, and I (finally) got a 2 day free coupon from them (after writing several letters) and an apology for the Hilo disaster.

You definately should have reservations, esp. as so many ports will have more than one ship at a time. With Alamo it is easily done on-line...you don't even have to pre-pay so it is easy to cancel if you change your mind. If you can get by with a subcompact you can pay as little as $23/day. We need a full sized car to make transfers manageable, so we paid about $46/day, but still, with 3 of us, much cheaper than any tour. Gas is high in Hawaii, but it does not pay to let them gas the car for you when returning...finding a gas station near the car rental place is usually pretty easy.

If you rent in Maui, be sure you are doing so from the West Airport location. That is about 6 miles from the pier (shuttle is provided) but the other airport is nearly a 45 minute drive away. Although the West Airport location Alamo car rental place closes at 4PM (and the last shuttle is at 3:30PM) I had no problems arranging a late drop off and then taking a cab back to the pier. Last time I did this there were others doing the same thing and we shared a cab...my share was less than $5.

DesrtDrmr I would be happy to share any information I receive about accessible tours on the Island...there seems so few places we can get accurate information. I do beleive its not the cruise line's fault completly... everyone's problem is different and our needs are different, as well as our ability. This is the best forum to get information as well as to share with others.

Just pray for good weather when we sail for LA..we had 10 inches of snow last night in Chicago with another 4 forecasted for today...cant wait for 2/18.

Hi Desrt Drmr...I receive the information from Paulette the shore excurison manager on the Island. These are her recommendations for w/c acessible tours.

"The following list of tours I have compiled I hope will help you, there is

limited walking and are wheelchair friendly, however please stop by the

staff at the Tour Desk once you are onboard and we will be able to run

through these tours in more depth for you"

Maui:

JHM-A Haleakala Crater and Maui Ocean Center

JHM-C Iao Valley and Tropical Planation

JHM-J Royal Lahaina Luau at Ka'Anapali Resort

Kaui:

LIH-B Waimea Canyon

Hilo:

ITO-A Hilo and Kilauea Volcano

ITO-D Kilauea Volcano

Kona:

KOA-A Kona Highlights

Honolulu:

HNL-C Polynesian Cultural Center

HNL-B USS Arizona Memorial and City Tour

I did tell her that I can walk with my prosthesis and climb stairs...so these tours may not be appropriate for someone that is confined to a w/c. Better to check that on board.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Arlene, I have printed them off.

I did rent a car from Enterprise, in Honolulu, and they will come to the pier and pick us up............ We would have rented one in Hilo, but they are closed on Sundays. We booked the Ocean Center in Maui, a river trip and Luau in Kauai, which I'll have to ask about onboard, and a glass bottom boat in Kona. I can walk for a short distance, and do a few stairs.........can get on a bus with folding chair underneath..............we'll see........ :)

Have a wonderful cruise, and I can't wait to read your review........

Thanks again for sharing.......

I am happy the information was helpful for you...I was happily surprised with the quick response I got from Princess. I will post my review the tours that we booked and how accessibe they were upon my return .

Desrt Drmr...when is your cruise...we return on the 5th of March.

More snow today in Chicago...we leave in 3 weeks if Mother Nature lets us.

Stay warm and dry everyone.

Hi Arlene, we are on the Island a month after you..............the third cruise past yours, so your review will indeed be timely. :)

Thanks, Queenie..........I was just looking at Budget's website today. Do you know if Kona's car facilities are all at the airport? And, if so, is it a long ride to and from the airport to pick up/drop off the car? I seem to remember that Splinter said something about only one person could ride on the shuttle to get the car. Also, is there anything right at the pier in Kona, or would one have to take a taxi to "town"? Are there also taxis at the pier?

Aren't you glad I thought of all these questions??????? :D

DD:

Yes, all the rental cars companies are located at the airport in Kona. I'd say it took about 20 minutes to get there. Budget has a standard van/mini bus (not accessible) as do the other companies (you indicated you could climb steps on a bus). They all will pick you up free at the pier (under the Banyan Tree). Take you cell phone with you and ask at the information booth and they will give you the number for all the rental car shuttles. There is room enough on the bus for 13-15 people so you both can go. I think that Splinter meant that if one person could not climb the bus stairs, than an alternative would be for the other person to ride the shuttle and get the car and come back (not that only one person in you party could ride the shuttle).

Yes, there are plenty of taxis at the pier, but there is a lot to do right at the pier there (Kona). Actually it is probably the best pier on the Hawaii itin if you don't want to go anywhere (it is a tender port though) as there are restaurants, bars and lots of shops right there.

Personally, if you can only rent a car in one port, I would pick Hilo as the volcano should not be missed. You will be much better of doing it on your own as you can focus on the more accessible places (plus it's kind of a zoo when all the buses descend on the restaurant at the little hotel). Word of warning -- "Devastation Trail" is marked as "accessible" by NPS but it is not. Do *not* waste you time -- hit the chain of craters drive instead. Oh yes -- stop and get some sandwiches or lunch fixings before you leave Hilo and plan to eat at the picnic table at Waldron Ledge (Earthquake Trail). Very accessible and not many people at all. Great views!

Candy

Thanks, Candy. I have been hesitating about Hilo because we are scheduled to be in port for such a short time.....11:00am - 5:30pm. It seems as though the ship's tours all include a bit of hiking, which doesn't really work for me. I guess I'll just dither until we rent a car! :)

DD:

In that case, make sure you get off the ship as soon as possible. Take a lunch/snacks with you and then stop at visitors center. From there you can look at the exhibits and then walk over (short walk not a hike) to the overlook behind the hotel. Then come back out to the front of the hotel turn right and go past the main entrance of the hotel, past employee parking and turn right again. This is where you will pick up the Waldron Ledge of the Earthquake trail.

It's about 1/2 mile and paved (it used to be the road before an eruption/earthquake). Great view/overlook at end of trail and a secluded picnic table. IF you feel this is too much walking for you, there are also picnic tables behind the hotel, but they are kind of crowded and the ones over at the Waldron Overlook are just must nicer (as not as meny people flock over there).

Then head down to Jaggar Museum -- good exhibits and another good view of crater. Watch your time -- don't know if you will have time for chain of craters drive, but if you do the second lookout (Pauhi Crater) is the most accessible. This will all make more sense when you have a look at a map of the park (available on the NPS website)

http://www.nps.gov/havo/visitor/map.htm

To be honest, this park is very well suited for a driving tour and I know people who just enjoy the drive (it is very different but scenic) so you don't have to hike to enjoy it. (although there are some great hiking trails there too).

Candy

Thanks, all, am printing out this thread to put in my take along cruise folder..........will have directions when we get there.

I appreciate your time and trouble answering my questions. Now, if time would just move along................... :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Arlene, for posting your trip report on another thread! We'll have the same cabin you did when we go next month.

Did you have any trouble getting in and out of the doors from the decks to the inside? Were they all automatic? Was there a large sill at those exit doors?

Did you find the balcony to be confining, with the bump out right next to it? Did it feel like an obstructed view?

Did you see any whales????? Were the seas rough?

Were your shore excursions the same as you posted before you went?

Can you tell I'm excited about going????? :D

More about our cruise...

You will enjoy the cabin...the incline onto the balcony will not be a problem if you have a regular size w/c, but the door opening was rather small (there was a stop at the bottom of the door sill that my husband was going to remove(during our stay) that would make it easier to get out. I did need his help because I would have injured my hands trying to get out alone. The balcony is twice a wide as a regular balcony cabin. The bump out balcony did not bother us at all (the occupants of that cabin rarely used it), and the wall between our cabin and the w/c cabin next to us gave us privacy. It is a partly, about 1/2 covered, so the people above cannon see you unless you are standing by the rail.

I found that getting into the bathroom (because of the incline and metal water stop at the door more difficult...I had to use the towel rack and the door to pull myself in at times unless I could get a running start with the w/c.

The room steward seemed new, very nice but very serious about his work...I got us everything I requested (including a lounge chair for the balcony) if it is not there when you go just ask John and he will get you one...I your steward is still John, Say 'Hi' for us.

Only a few outside doors on the ship (expecially those going to the pools had an electric eye to open the doors...but there were always passengers or staff ready and willing to open the other doors for me so it was never a problem.

The Horizon Court food area is not completly friendly to those in a w/c or electric scooter...it seemed that some of the food was not placed in a logical way so there were always someone going 'up stream' so to speak, and the area is fairly narrow between stations when getting your food. The staff always offered to help by holding my plate or getting what I wanted..but they must have thought I looked very hungry because they always gave me a huge portion of food. I prefered to keep my plate on my lap, get my own portion and have them get me my Ice tea or coffee, or juice and water etc. Also as ususal people do not see someone in a w/c or scooter...seems you are under their field of vision...just a warning because I almost took a couple of people out when they cut in front of me not seeing me at all. (would have served them right for cutting in) By the way the food was great with a wonderful variety...could always find something to eat. (did not care for most deserts, but the pudding and cookies are great, as was the fruit) I am going thru papaya withdrawal...went to buy a small one at my grocery store and it was $3.98 each...I will have to wait for next cruise.

More answers to question...yes we saw whales...the came along side the ship as we were pulling into Hilo (our first port) as if to welcome us to the islands...many people saw several as we pulled into each port. We were not always up when we got to the ports, so we saw less)

The seas were only rough the first 2 days a sea from LA.. then they were slight to moderate. My husband was a little queesy the first two days (the Ginger Altoids that Candy recommended worked along with the accupressure wrist bands(which I bought in the store on the ship for $8.00, less than many people paid on shore)

We took all the excursions I posted prior to the trip except we and another couple from CC rented a Hummer for the day(with a great driver) in Honolulu. I was very proud of myself for being able to climb into the Hummer with my prosthesis. He took us on a circle tour of the Island...we went to places that the ships tour would have never gone and at a pace that was just right for us.

Our excursions:

In Maui...Maui Ocean Center alone...the combo tour was too long for me but if you have not seen Haleakala Crater do tour JHM-A which includes both.

In Kaui:

LIH-B Waimea Canyon

In Kona:

KOA-A Kona Highlights

In Hilo

ITO-D Kilauea Volcano

Both Hilo and Maui(Lahina) a tender ports.

None were like doing tours in the Caribbean...very little time for shopping, which my husband loved. LOL

I know you will have a wonderful time...if I could fold myself really small...could you put me in you luggage and take me with you? I am ready to go back.

Hope this helps. ( I was looking for the info on Ed Kos Hummer tours, but I seemed to have misplaced it...I will post it as soon as I find it) Still putting things away so I know it will turn up.

Arlene

Dear Arlene,

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful information! We are really looking forward to our cruise............

I can walk a bit, so the bathroom and balcony access should not be as difficult, but climbing up/down into anything will be interesting. Your description of your Hummer tour sounds wonderful! We are now reconsidering our rental car.

We, too, have booked the Maui Ocean Adventure, a car in Honolulu, Hilo, and Kona, and a river boat, fern grotto and luau tour on Kauai...........have to check with the tour desk to see if I can really DO that one........

Thanks for the tip about the balcony lounger, and we will be sure to say Hi to John for you, if he is our cabin steward.

I don't know why Princess' Horizon Court food areas are laid out that way. It is always difficult to get organized there. I guess they are trying to stay away from long lines, but it seems TO ME, that HAL and RCI have a much easier set up, even with the lines. I also wish that Princess had trays. I am trying to get my husband to figure out some way to hook a tray onto my scooter. I remember that "Rascal Rider Ruth" had some neat way to use a tray on her scooter..............I'll have to go through my files.

We'll look for whales on our way into ports, and have bought some Ginger Altoids, just in case. I use the patch, so need to call the doctor for a refill........thanks for reminding me. DH has never been ill, but one never knows when things will change.

We really appreciate the time and trouble you took to write.............will post of our experience when we return.

I'm always ready to go back when we get off of a cruise.........after I see the dog, of course! :) Good luck fitting into one of our suitcases.........I am the worst packer!!!!

Thanks, again, and have fun dreaming about your next cruise.........

Archived