Yet another Stingray City question

HarborBlvd

Hello from Alaska. We are taking our first cruise in January on the Crown Princess. When in Cayman, it sounds like the thing to do is to go to Stingray City. While I am very excited about the IDEA of swimming with stingrays, I am inwardly terrified. I'm trying to be open-minded and embrace this once in a lifetime experience. I've read several threads on the stingrays, but haven't seen anything mentioned about personal belongings. If you're out half the day, I assume you'd take a bag with money, camera, clothing, towels, etc. Is there a safe place to leave it on the boat while you're in the water? Should I leave the real camera on board the ship and bring a disposable waterproof camera for this excursion? Money, ship ID? Surely everyone on the tour must bring this with them.

Also, can someone explain what exactly the stingrays feel like? I know it sounds silly, but for us phobics, it helps to know what to expect. Are they smooth like rubber? Squishy? Do they really come up and rub against you or can you kind of keep some space between them and you? Will the guide poke fun if you follow him around for security? lol.

Do the stingrays - you will have a blast! We just got back and did the tour with Moby Dick. We left our stuff on the boat - it was perfectly safe. You will need to bring personal items including a waterproof disposable camera...Moby Dick provides snorkel equipment. Moby Dick meets you right at the dock and drives you to the boat. On the way back (tour is about 3 hours), they will drop you off anywhere you want. They provide a nice intimate experience.

The rays are a little rough on the top and smooth on the bottom. They know where the food is and will bump into you to get to it. It's not a hard bump, but it is somewhat forceful, kind of like a strong ocean wave at the beach. They aren't squishy at all. If you want to keep them at a distance, you'll need to stand at the edge of the group.

My kids and I went in August; my 12 yo DS was nervous. He got into the water with them but he didn't like it so he got back on the boat after a while. My 15 yo DD loved it! I even have a picture of her kissing a ray for good luck. Definitely bring a camera - either a waterproof disposable one or buy a watertight cases for your regular one. You can do a web search or search the "Ask a question" board. I found the infomation on this sight. You can leave your belongings on the boat.

Our trip was with Stingray Sailing. They are a smaller operation so there were fewer people on their boat - about 20 when we went. Their website has a lot of information and pictures. Do a quick search for "stingray sailing" and you'll find it. Have a great trip - go see the rays even if you don't swim with them. You won't regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of sounding too ridiculous, I would say that swimming with the stingrays was nothing short of profoundly moving. I wouldn't call myself overly adventerous, so it took some talking to get me to try this--and I am still, after seven years, so very glad my husband and friends encouraged me. The stingrays felt like velvet to me--gentle, graceful, and fully accepting. I recommend this experience to everyone:)

Archived