REALLY Dumb Question about Luggage

shorbr

and my doctor or dentist won't toss my bags in the water for not tipping either. :D

My guess is that if your dentist hinted that he might "accidentally" break a tooth if you do not tip him, you would find a new dentist and/or report your dentist's veiled threat. :D

People who are giving the porters money out of fear their luggage will be lost otherwise are not tipping - they are paying a bribe.

Gonzo, because you've said this before, I purposely paid attention at the Miami pier on 11/1 and not only did the sign say "Tipping porters is optional" (something to that effect), the "longshoreman" also took my bag and "suggested" I tip the man whose now "taking care of your bags."

I'm just sayin'. Do I fear he'll throw my bag in the street and I'll never see it again? No...I tipped him AFTER he walked it the THREE FEET to put it in a cart. But they certainly do shake you down, $60/hour or not...

Yes, this sadly sometimes happens. The Miami Port Authority is trying to crack down on these rogue porters. They are asking that people alert security or call the port authority if a porter acts in an uncouth manner. It is highly unlikely that a porter would actually do something to your luggage when you do not tip as it is a highly, highly, highly sought after position. Most of them are working overtime when they act as porters (so they are getting in the vicinty of $60 to $90 per hour without tips) and since so many do tip they likely take in $200 to $300 an hour or more. Not bad at all for pushing luggage a few yards on a cart! They do not want to do something that would risk them this job.

My guess is that if your dentist hinted that he might "accidentally" break a tooth if you do not tip him, you would find a new dentist and/or report your dentist's veiled threat. :D

People who are giving the porters money out of fear their luggage will be lost otherwise are not tipping - they are paying a bribe.

Bribes are good if it saves my luggage. I think I was joking too. :cool:

Archived