A Fist Full of Dollars

Pebbles1967

I was wondering if I'll need to bring US Dollars for my cruise. I've noticed several people mentioning they brought US Dollars for little tips here and there. Is it appropriate to tip in other currencies? Will I need cash dollars for anything else? If so I guess a trip to the Bureau de change will be in order.

Pebs

You can have all your dining and room host tips added to your on board account instead of using cash but if you plan on using room service or taking excursions it is proper to bring american dollars.

I am sure the people receiving your tips would apprecite not having to go and find a place to exchange foreign money.

You wont need much if you do your basic tips on your ship board account.

Most room service is $2 to $5 depending on how much food you have them bring . Excursions we do $5 as a general rule but if its an all day excursion and they do a good job we do tip more.

I was wondering if I'll need to bring US Dollars for my cruise. I've noticed several people mentioning they brought US Dollars for little tips here and there. Is it appropriate to tip in other currencies? Will I need cash dollars for anything else? If so I guess a trip to the Bureau de change will be in order.

Pebs

Pebs, When we cruise Europe we get an amount of Euro's to tip on the Continent like taxi rides and hotel personel. You can charge your cruise tips to your on board account and alchohol drinks come with a 15% gratuity on the bill so that too goes to your onboard account. Most transactions are in U.S. dollars on board (great for the Pound) and if you throw a buck or two to the room service they really appreciate it.;) They also convert monies onboard ( at least they did in 2007) at the Purser's desk and it is about $100.00 U.S. a day. Hope you have a great cruise with Disney. We had such a wonderful time we are returning this spring.

Cheers for your replies folks!

I'll make sure I sort this out before we embark.

The GBP is strong right now so we got a pretty good deal on our cruise. Maybe it's a good time to exchange a few for some USD :o

Pebs

You might want to wait a little while more. At the rate that the U. S. Treasury is monetarizing the massive debt, the dollar is bound to fall a lot further. The Chinese aren't going to buy all of the debt.

You might want to wait a little while more. At the rate that the U. S. Treasury is monetarizing the massive debt, the dollar is bound to fall a lot further. The Chinese aren't going to buy all of the debt.

Interesting and thanks for the tip. I'll monitor the exchange rates.

Last week when I booked the cruise the exchage was just over £1.65 to the dollar. A pretty decent exchange rate. There was a short time last year the exchang was nearly £2 to the dollar. Would LOVE to get that lucky when we set sail!

Archived