BHA Girl

BHA Girl

Going to the greek islands next June on Spirit, can we take duty free on to the ship, also this is our first cruise, can anybody give me any tips on the trips please.

I don't have the answer, but I do have a (friendly) tip about starting threads. It really does help everyone to have the actual question posed as the thread topic.

Hi, welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

Guessing your itinerary is Pearls of the Aegean, all Greek.

I think - in theory at least - that you won't be able to buy "duty free" at the airport, as you'll be asked to produce an aircraft boarding pass showing a destination outside the EC.

Likewise, because you're not visiting a port outside the EU, you may find the prices in the ship's "duty-free" shop include duty at Greek rates, though still a big saving over UK prices. If it's truly "duty-free" the shop will have severely limited hours - make checking the opening hours/prices one of your first jobs on the ship.

I don't know Thomson's policy on consuming in your cabin drinks brought on-board or bought in their on-board shop, different cruise lines have different policies - quite benign on P&O, quite draconian on American lines.

Thomson's bar prices are about the same as UK pub prices, and like everything else on Spirit they're priced in sterling

Can I suggest you ask your questions again, on the appropriate Mediterranean forum.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page to "jump forum" & use that facility to switch. As the cruising chicken :) says, get the question in the title - probably best if you split into two questions. one re drinks & one re ports.

And for info about the islands, list their names in the title - you'll get useful answers from people who don't know Spirit's itinerary but know the places from cruising there on other ships. The trips, and D.I.Y. hints, are broadly the same for all cruise ships.

Thomson Spirit's passengers are almost 100% Brits, and there are comparatively few Brits on this website at the moment, although its growing. You could also ask on http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-answers/ where you're more likely to get answers about Thomson & Spirit. Again, scan existing Q and A to see the importance of getting the bones of your question in the first few words.

She's a super little ship, very friendly & relaxed, easy to understand & get around, & ideal for a first cruise

Regards, John Bull

Archived