Bringing on more than 1 bottle of wine

PTCruizer

Has anyone been stopped recently trying to hand carry on more than 1 bottle of wine per person? In the past we have not had a problem bringing on 5-6 bottles as a couple. I'm wondering if they have tightened up.

What is your experience?

I was querried by security staff when boarding the Pride in Baltimore on 25 Oct 2009 for having two bottles of wine in my carryon luggage.

They were quite emphatic that I could only bring one bottle on until I explained that the other bottle belong to my wife - who does not drink.

There we no queries about the two bottles in checked in luggage and that is the way to go.

I was querried by security staff when boarding the Pride in Baltimore on 25 Oct 2009 for having two bottles of wine in my carryon luggage.

They were quite emphatic that I could only bring one bottle on until I explained that the other bottle belong to my wife - who does not drink.

There we no queries about the two bottles in checked in luggage and that is the way to go.

I would put a few bottles in my checked luggage but I'd be worried about them finding my rum runners. :D

Between the two of us we usually carry on 4-5 bottles of wine/champagne. We have done this MANY times, and have never been questioned about it.

Tom

As a first time cruiser .... when we check in does our carry on luggage get screened at the same time as our checked? That way if we have 2 bottles in carry on we could also have 2 bottles in luggage.

Considering rum runners also - anyone ever busted with them?

Last November I was stopped with 4 bottles of wine. I explained that I was carrying them for my parents, DH and me. My parents were right there with us so no problem. BUT - in the past I carried 4 bottles and was never questioned. Not sure if they are getting more strict or I got a security guard that was having a bad day :)

As a first time cruiser .... when we check in does our carry on luggage get screened at the same time as our checked? That way if we have 2 bottles in carry on we could also have 2 bottles in luggage.

Considering rum runners also - anyone ever busted with them?

No - you will drop off your luggage prior to going into the terminal, so it's a separate deal. If they scan your luggage and come up with anything suspicious they might hand check the contents. There were a few cruises in the past where we smuggled 2-3 CASES of plastic bottle 16oz Miller Lites. I never even took them out of the cardboard case - and packed them in small (perfectly fitting) matching cases. Never a problem --- except for not being able to finish it all and giving away a lot the last day or two!

43672938_pg4P8-M.jpg

Tom

We sailed out of Baltimore on Pride Nov 1, and they definitely were checking carry-ons for alcohol, in fact, we had 2 bottle of wine and the screener immediately detected it and handed the bag to a security person to be sure it was only wine or champagne and then mentioned the limit of 1 person to us. Not sure what they would have done if we had more than the limit....

Has anyone been stopped recently trying to hand carry on more than 1 bottle of wine per person? In the past we have not had a problem bringing on 5-6 bottles as a couple. I'm wondering if they have tightened up.

What is your experience?

I never carry it on...always packed safely in my luggage.

:D

No - you will drop off your luggage prior to going into the terminal, so it's a separate deal. If they scan your luggage and come up with anything suspicious they might hand check the contents. There were a few cruises in the past where we smuggled 2-3 CASES of plastic bottle 16oz Miller Lites. Tom

I thought we were supposed to lock our suitcases - anyone ever had things go missing (Miami port)

I thought we were supposed to lock our suitcases - anyone ever had things go missing (Miami port)

By all means, lock your luggage...BUT... if there is any question about what is in checked luggage, you can be paged and required to open the suitcase in question in front of security staff.

Archived