chacchoben mayan ruins...what to wear?

crobertson

Hi all! I'm sure this sounds like a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what to wear when touring the Chacchoben Ruins through Native Choice.

Thanks for the help!

Depends on when you'll be there. In the winter months, you might be able to wear shorts if its a warm day, but I suggest khakis or jeans. A light weight long sleeve shirt also. Just to keep the bugs off the arms. :eek: Warmer months, shorts and tees work fine if "accessorized" with lots of deet:D. Hat or cap. Running shoes or low rise hikers best for shoes. Don't wear flops. Leave the dress/coat-tie/stillettos back on the ship:)

Just returned from a trip that included Chacchoben ruins tour through Native choice. This is a great tour and would recommend it to anyone reading this. The tours through the cruise line had 40+people in the group, we had 7. We wore shorts and a T-shirt and at points were still a little warm. There are plenty of trees for shade but right around the ruins it is very sunny and warm. Wear comfortable walking shoes because you will be climbing some steps and walking around quite a bit.

At Chacchoben, can you actually walk up to to the ruins and climb the steps? I have heard that there are some ruins where everything is roped off, and so you only see things from a distance. Our group wants to go to one where we can get up close! :)

Thanks for any input from those who've been.

Ruth

At Chacchoben, can you actually walk up to to the ruins and climb the steps? I have heard that there are some ruins where everything is roped off, and so you only see things from a distance. Our group wants to go to one where we can get up close! {/quote]

We were at Chacchoben last week with The Native Choice. At Chacchoben you can walk up the lower steps of the palace and temples; you could not climb the steps all the way to the top. But yes, you can get close and climb around the bottom of them. For example, in the attached picture we could climb up to the bottom edge of the thatched area.

In the residential area of walls and foundations you could climb around everything.

climbing.jpg.fdb3f6577b400fa6072158531e49eb86.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We were there 2 weeks ago with Native Choice. Only 8 in our group which was great. Shorts and light shirt are fine. I would definately recommend that you spray your legs and arms with insect repellent. Mosquitos weren't bad but the tiny gnats were a pain and they will bit you.

At Chacchoben, can you actually walk up to to the ruins and climb the steps? I have heard that there are some ruins where everything is roped off, and so you only see things from a distance. Our group wants to go to one where we can get up close! :)

Thanks for any input from those who've been.

Ruth

We were there 12/23/09. There was one temple towards the back of the property that overlooks the old farm where the Cohuo family used to live. You can climb to the top of that temple. The view is wonderful.

Archived