Better to explore OSJ when ship is in port or not?

klepton

I think I know the answer to this, but we'll be staying in OSJ for 2 1/2 days pre-cruise. On Friday, there are no ships in port, on Saturday there are 3. We are going to spend one day driving to Luquillo for surfing lessons and hitting up teh kiosks there, and spend the other day in OSJ.

I'm thinking it would be best to drive to Luquillo on Friday, and then spend Saturday in OSJ. I'm guessing the weekend and 3 cruise ships will make for a more lively city.

Anyone else have an opinion? Thanks!

It is a personal preference.

I like going when the ships are in, there is extra "stuff" going on- more artisans and tours available etc. But the trade off is more people in the stores/forts etc and possible waits at popular restaurants.

Some people like it more quiet and they prefer days with few or no ships in port.

You seem to want action- go to OSJ on Saturday.

I think Fri and Sat evenings you can find dance/music shows around different restaurants. Friday nights at 7pm is the free LeLoLai show.

Sundays are even better as there is more live music.

We visited Luquillo on a Thur. or Fri. several yrs. ago in late March. While there were a FEW people there, there weren't many and and there were only a couple of food vendors open, though we saw many storefront food places that were closed. If you don't like crowded beaches, wkdays would be best, of course. But if you like things lively, then Sat. would probably be better.

Sometimes San Juan can be overly full of tourists if and it's tough to even fit into a store or walk around when ships are in port. I do like Saturdays, there, though. I recall there was a little stage not too far east of the OSJ pier where chairs were set up and a band played latino music. Many older folks and a few families and younger adults were there dancing and enjoying themselves. I THINK this might be something that happens every Sat., but am not sure. It was just a nice slice of San Juan!

Thanks for your thoughts! I'd pretty much decided on OSJ on sat, but you bring up a good point about vendors in luquillo being closed on Friday. Oh well, guess we'll see. I definitely like being places that are active. And we'll have thurs and Friday nights in Osj where it likely won't be as crowded.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived