Just Bought A New Kindle

Plantlvr1

Plantlvr1 - You are going to love the Kindle!

MedicKen - If your wife is a reader she will LOVE your gift.

When my Libi (yes she does have a name) arrived I hugged her and kissed her and repeated that several times. The grin on my face lasted for days.

Have fun and Happy Cruising

KindleBoards is a good place to find information on all things Kindle. If nothing else the Threads on Free Kindle Books and Bargain Books are invaluable. There is loads of information and a great deal of enabling for those who are thinking of "dressing up" their Kindle. There are also threads for those who are not sure which ereader to choose.

Happy Cruising

ps. There are also people there who will talk you through the waiting for your Kindle to arrive. This time period is fondly referred to as KindleWatch.

• 4 weeks later...

I ran in and ordered my Kindel the night Ibos was on the Charlie Rose show! I have been attached since it arrived; it has gone on five cruises! With mine, I needed to take extra batteries when on land tours. On the ship just plug in. But, now I have a new Kindle from my daughter because she wants to read all my books!

Alas, I can remember taking five to seven books! Or hunting for bookstores and hotels that stocked books in English.

Having a Kindel is like having a computer with access to CC.

Annde

• 2 weeks later...

Well... we bought our Kindle to take on our cruise Dec. 12th. I have to saythat we LOVE our kindle. We read alot on our cruise and think that it is soo great to just get a book so quickly. We tryed to see if the whispernet worked in all the mexican ports we stopped at and Yes it worked.

I am glad there are such positive reactions to the Kindle - been wondering if I should buy the Kindle or the Nook or the other electronic readers they now have to offer, but I think I will stick with the original Kindle.. can't wait to get mine!!! Corkey

Somewhat of a Nook fan over here. Ordered the BF one for Christmas, and it's supposed to arrive Monday. If it were possible for him to pin down exactly where it is in the metro area he would hunt it down to retrieve it early, he is beyond impatient for it. I say somewhat of a fan because I like it better in side by side comparison to the other e-readers, but I'm a paper and binding kind of gal. For a cruise though, these things are definitely beneficial and I'm kinda jealous. I'll have to sacrifice an outfit to fit more books in my luggage...or I could steal the space he's saving with not packing books...there we go. :D

Somewhat of a Nook fan over here. Ordered the BF one for Christmas, and it's supposed to arrive Monday. If it were possible for him to pin down exactly where it is in the metro area he would hunt it down to retrieve it early, he is beyond impatient for it. I say somewhat of a fan because I like it better in side by side comparison to the other e-readers, but I'm a paper and binding kind of gal. For a cruise though, these things are definitely beneficial and I'm kinda jealous. I'll have to sacrifice an outfit to fit more books in my luggage...or I could steal the space he's saving with not packing books...there we go. :D

I'll have to research the Kindle and Nook - the differences, etc... unless you can tell me...... thanx. corkey carol

• 2 months later...

I had the original Kindle that I had purchased used from ebay and I really, really liked it - but - I lost it. I was devastated. I swore that I would not buy another one because I was so careless as to lose it and it was so much money, I would just have to do without it. But I was SO miserable without it my dear, sweet husband took pity on me and gave me the new world edition Kindle for Christmas - and I LOVE IT!! He did have me look at all of the other "readers" out there by telling me "you should check out all the new ones out there because maybe we will get one before we cruise again."

I don't know how I ever managed without one. I love that I can download new books anytime, anywhere directly from and to my Kindle. I have been reading at 2 in the morning and wanted the next book in a series and in a few seconds I had it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to order my Kindle, after making a fantastic discovery. I can "borrow" ebooks from my county library, for free. I "think" they load to my computer, then I transfer them to the Kindle. They are there for three weeks, then, somehow, Poof, they are unreadable. Our cruise/trip in August is 2 weeks so I can load up before we go and have tons to read. On my last 12 day cruise, I think I read 8 books.

I will miss the fun of taking and reading paperbacks, then swapping them for others on the trade shelf of the ship's library.... I can deal. :D

I'm getting ready to order my Kindle, after making a fantastic discovery. I can "borrow" ebooks from my county library, for free. I "think" they load to my computer, then I transfer them to the Kindle. They are there for three weeks, then, somehow, Poof, they are unreadable. Our cruise/trip in August is 2 weeks so I can load up before we go and have tons to read. On my last 12 day cruise, I think I read 8 books.

I will miss the fun of taking and reading paperbacks, then swapping them for others on the trade shelf of the ship's library.... I can deal. :D

Congrats to you. I am sure you will love this purchase. It is truly amazing that you can carry hundreds of books around with you.

I bought my Kindle 2 years ago for a trip to Europe.

Suggestion:

Load it now with 10 books you want to read. Some classics are free.

Load it with 20 more SAMPLE books that interest you. When you return, you can download (and pay for) the samples you liked. This is the best way to test a book.

Set you your kindle address...something like SailingAway@kindle.com or whatever. Then, before your trip, send yourself WORD docs with all you vital info like passport #s, contacts at home, your itinerary, anything you like to keep with you. I even have a coded file with passwords to things like online banking and phone numbers for lost Visa cards.

Having those permanently in your kindle is great. Costs 10 cents per document.

Enjoy.

It sounds like you are an avid reader. Did you get your Kindle yet? I am addicted to mine, and it goes everywhere with me. I find I am reading even more books on my Kindle than I read before. I love making the font bigger. It's just such a pleasure reading.

Enjoy! I hope you post and let us know how much fun you're having.

Lynn

Still haven't ordered my Kindle, but will very soon. I do a lot of online surveys and many of the companies give Amazon gift cards as payment. I have enough for the Kindle and case, but want to order a couple of other items. Does anyone have one of the clip-on lights for their Kindle? If so, is it something I need?

We bought the clip on light for our Kindles but found we rarely use it.

Think, how many time have you used a clip on light for a regular book?

The display is the same as a book page.

I think on the last cruise we left them at home.

We bought the clip on light for our Kindles but found we rarely use it.

Think, how many time have you used a clip on light for a regular book?

The display is the same as a book page.

I think on the last cruise we left them at home.

What an interesting perspective! You are sooooo right. I rushed to buy a booklight when I got my Kindle, and now that seems silly. I do use it once in a while late at night in bed, but I really didn't NEED it.

Archived