Cashing in RCL Visa points for a free cruise.

ribarfly

Has anyone cashed in your RCL Visa points for the free cruise? I just requested 125,000 points and want to apply them to a 5 to 7-day Caribbean cruise for December of 2010. Does RCL limit your choice to a certain cruise or are all bookings available? Did they allow you to up-grade and just pay the difference? Looking forward to hearing your experiences before I call C&A.

Ron :)

I've never gathered enough points for a free cruise. I did use points to upgrade from an inside to OV cabin on my upcoming cruise, then paid the difference to upgrade my cabin further. Therefore, I do know they will alllow you to do that. I don't believe there are restrictions on what bookings you select, but I'm no expert.

Let us know how it goes! I've only ever used my points for upgrades and OBC's, so I'd be interested in hearing about how the free cruise with points situation works out.

I've never gathered enough points for a free cruise. I did use points to upgrade from an inside to OV cabin on my upcoming cruise, then paid the difference to upgrade my cabin further. Therefore, I do know they will alllow you to do that. I don't believe there are restrictions on what bookings you select, but I'm no expert.

Let us know how it goes! I've only ever used my points for upgrades and OBC's, so I'd be interested in hearing about how the free cruise with points situation works out.

I have used them in the past for OBC but never for the free cruise.

Ron:)

Ron,

DW and I are coming up on the free cruise milestone with the RCL Visa card as well. I will be closely watching your progress because we are planning to book a 7 day Caribbean cruise with the points. Stride on with the knowledge that many of us are behind you and will be following the same path.

Good Luck!!

------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

Please be aware that the 125,000 coupon is good for a free cruise for two in a "minimum ocean view cabin (max value $2500.)" You can upgrade and pay the difference but here is where the "catcher" is. The price of that minimum ocean view cabin is different on each ship and cruise and also changes at times. So you have to use a little strategy by booking a cruise that the OV cabin is the closest to that $2500 and the cabin you want is not any more than you are willing to pay for an upgrade.

Also be aware that the coupon expires so you need to use it to book within 6 months of ordering it. It is not good for Christmas and New Year's sailings.

I used one for our upcoming Oasis cruise in a D balcony cabin. Total cost for us including taxes, gratuties and $250 OBC...$700. Would have been $600 but I waited too long to apply my coupon and the OV cabins went down in price. Make sure you ask the C&A folks what the exact value of your coupon is when you call...like I said it changes by the day. Once applied by RCI, that will be the value to your reservation.

Phone number for the Visa Rewards desk at Crown and Anchor:

888-305-4626

We have done this twice, in January 2007 on the Freedom OTS and in January 2010 on Oasis OTS. Here is how it works. Book any cabin you want. Call Bank of America within six months of your sail date (the certificate is only good for six months) and have them mail you the certificate. Fill it out, keep a copy, and send it into Crown & Anchor. You will get credited the cost of the lowest available outside cabin on the day that the certificate is applied, not including taxes and fees, up to a maximum of $2,500. For example, if you book a balcony cabin for $1,500 per person, and the day C&A applies the certificate, the lowest available outside cabin is $1,000 per person, not including taxes and fees, then they will credit your booking $2,000. However, if you book a balcony cabin for $2,000 per person, and the day C&A applies the certificate, the lowest available outside cabin is $1,500 per person, then they will credit your booking $2,500.

Archived