Insurance Question Re: taxes & port charges

Jade13

I need to purchase insurance today and I wanted to know if Azamara refunded taxes and port fees if you canceled? I don't want to overpay for insurance if the cruise line will refund some fees anyway. I also don't know if it makes a difference if this is cancellation (before the cruise), or interruption so you are leaving mid-ship before you have reached some ports.

This is for Azamara so rules probably the same as RCCL/Celebrity. I am purchasing one of the CSA policies.

I also need to check because TA has all fees bundled such as non-refundables and I guess I just need to look at the taxes and port charges. The reason this occurred to me to investigate was that the fees together are close to $1,000.00 (almost $500.00pp).

Thanks.

500 p/p seems like an awful lot for taxes and port charges....

No, as I mentioned that included the non-discountable (I said non-refundable by mistake). My TA did not separate them, but I have asked for the breakdown.

500 p/p seems like an awful lot for taxes and port charges....

With multiple port visits, the taxes and port charges add up quickly. I don't know specifically what every port charge is...but I would guess it would be upwards of $30.00/pp per port.

With multiple port visits, the taxes and port charges add up quickly. I don't know specifically what every port charge is...but I would guess it would be upwards of $30.00/pp per port.

I just called Azamara. The port fees & taxes are $53.46pp for our Asia itinerary. I know they are significantly more other places (such as perhaps Alaska).

They would be returned the day before the cruise but not after she departs/interruption.

Each cruise line presents the information differently, however, some of the port charges are typically presented within the advertised cruise price. The fine print on most websites indicates that the price does not include government taxes and fees, which is usually about the $53 mentioned in an earlier post. It does depend on the itinerary as well as the length of the cruise. For example...the government fees for a Panama Canal cruise are going to be a lot higher than your run-of-the-mill Caribbean cruise.

As for the OP's question...the amount of the Port Charges (typically in the $200 per person range for a 10 night cruise based on my experience) are generally subject to the same cancellation policies. The only portion I have ever seen refunded when under full penalty, was the government fees/taxes. Since most travel insurance is sold in bans, I doubt that the addition of these taxes will change the overall cost of your insurance.

Sorry to be so long-winded. I hope this helps.

Soccer Mom

Since most travel insurance is sold in bans, I doubt that the addition of these taxes will change the overall cost of your insurance.

Sorry to be so long-winded. I hope this helps.

Soccer Mom

Right, for an additional $100 it won't change the cost of the insurance. Hundreds of dollars would make a difference.

I just called Azamara. The port fees & taxes are $53.46pp for our Asia itinerary. I know they are significantly more other places (such as perhaps Alaska).

They would be returned the day before the cruise but not after she departs/interruption.

Hi Jade13,

Since they're returned the day before the cruise, but not after departure, do you think the taxes & port fees would be returned if a person had to cancel the same day the ship left, but before it left?

I'm asking because most trip insurance plans require the full prepaid non-refundable trip cost be insured to get pre-ex coverage. The full prepaid non-refundable trip cost is the amount you'd lose if you cancelled at the last minute before you left home.

TIA.

Hi Jade13,

Since they're returned the day before the cruise, but not after departure, do you think the taxes & port fees would be returned if a person had to cancel the same day the ship left, but before it left?

I'm asking because most trip insurance plans require the full prepaid non-refundable trip cost be insured to get pre-ex coverage. The full prepaid non-refundable trip cost is the amount you'd lose if you cancelled at the last minute before you left home.

TIA.

Hi I am Trustworthy,

I actually almost called you today about this because I'm about to purchase from your company :) I got side tracked with work and sending off our passports for Cambodian Visa's.

Great point that it depends on the coverage. There have been posts to take out the port fees and taxes, which I believe can be high in some places like the Panama Canal.

In my case I ended up finding out directly from Azamara this amount is only $106.00 total for two people, so won't make a difference in the cost. Also, I always end up having some additional ad-ins such a couple pre-nights hotel that may be refundable 48 hours in advance etc., so I've always had at least the whole cruise cost.

On this trip I have several excursions that need to be paid in advance, which has not been the case in Europe. They have added to my cost, two have 30 day cancellations and another says it can be canceled and refunded, so I assume that means before I get there (This private excursion is close to $500.00 with credit card transaction fees). So, I was trying to find out if there was anything I could cut out.

Interesting that to cover pre-existing conditions, the total amount must be insured. What does this mean? The policy I plan to purchase is the CSA Freestyle. I understand the cruise and airfare, but are you telling me they expect you to cover every little thing such as pre (or even post) cruise hotels, and pre-paid excursions? I'm in default than if I miscalculate my extra flights within Cambodia and onto Bangkok if I under insure because I forgot to ad-in additional fees from credit card and currency transaction fees. I can't imagine everyone has thought of everything such as an approx $100.00 in advance we will be paying towards a group Mekong river boat charter? What about the $20.00pp (plus about $14.00) I just spent to send off our passports for a Cambodian Visa. After that I need to send off for a Chinese Visa for a pre-cruise stop in Bejing. I wasn't planning on adding in those costs. But it would be money lost if we could not travel.

I'm unclear if they would refund an excursion if we missed the port because of weather, etc? I know some policies clearly cover missed ports. (Btw, the Rep for the boat charter agreed to refund if we missed the port but doesn't help me if I can't travel the day before the cruise).

Hi Jade13,

Hmm, I don't know. With HAL's policy, 24 hours will get you back 90% on your credit card, Cancel for Any Reason, but of course the price of their Platinum (within 24 hours is a Berkeley insurance policy) includes the cruise cost and I think the taxes and port fees.

Hi I am Trustworthy,

I actually almost called you today about this because I'm about to purchase from your company :) I got side tracked with work and sending off our passports for Cambodian Visa's.

Great point that it depends on the coverage. There have been posts to take out the port fees and taxes, which I believe can be high in some places like the Panama Canal.

In my case I ended up finding out directly from Azamara this amount is only $106.00 total for two people, so won't make a difference in the cost. Also, I always end up having some additional ad-ins such a couple pre-nights hotel that may be refundable 48 hours in advance etc., so I've always had at least the whole cruise cost.

On this trip I have several excursions that need to be paid in advance, which has not been the case in Europe. They have added to my cost, two have 30 day cancellations and another says it can be canceled and refunded, so I assume that means before I get there (This private excursion is close to $500.00 with credit card transaction fees). So, I was trying to find out if there was anything I could cut out.

Interesting that to cover pre-existing conditions, the total amount must be insured. What does this mean? The policy I plan to purchase is the CSA Freestyle. I understand the cruise and airfare, but are you telling me they expect you to cover every little thing such as pre (or even post) cruise hotels, and pre-paid excursions? I'm in default than if I miscalculate my extra flights within Cambodia and onto Bangkok if I under insure because I forgot to ad-in additional fees from credit card and currency transaction fees. I can't imagine everyone has thought of everything such as an approx $100.00 in advance we will be paying towards a group Mekong river boat charter? What about the $20.00pp (plus about $14.00) I just spent to send off our passports for a Cambodian Visa. After that I need to send off for a Chinese Visa for a pre-cruise stop in Bejing. I wasn't planning on adding in those costs. But it would be money lost if we could not travel.

I'm unclear if they would refund an excursion if we missed the port because of weather, etc? I know some policies clearly cover missed ports. (Btw, the Rep for the boat charter agreed to refund if we missed the port but doesn't help me if I can't travel the day before the cruise).

Hi Jade13,

Thanks for thinking of us. :)

The CSA Freestyle & Freestyle Luxe plans are two of the few plans that do not penalize you for not insuring 100% of the prepaid non-refundable trip cost, so you won't have a problem with them.

In fact, we always tell people to round their trip cost up to the top of the trip cost range just to give them a cushion should they forget anything.

I'm happy to hear about the lower fees with Azmara. Just today I spoke with 3 couples going with Azmara in Feb. 2010.

Hi Jade13,

Thanks for thinking of us. :)

The CSA Freestyle & Freestyle Luxe plans are two of the few plans that do not penalize you for not insuring 100% of the prepaid non-refundable trip cost, so you won't have a problem with them.

In fact, we always tell people to round their trip cost up to the top of the trip cost range just to give them a cushion should they forget anything.

I'm happy to hear about the lower fees with Azmara. Just today I spoke with 3 couples going with Azmara in Feb. 2010.

I think the fees just happen to be low in these ports such as in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Mine are normally higher.

Do you mind taking a stab at the last question posed by "smeyer" on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board? It was on the thread I started where I asked the same question thinking there may be more responses on this general board. I think the answer regarding CSA insurance coverage if you cancel is just that you can only get back the amount that you insured. I'm not sure what they meant about "proportionally". I have other things insured besides just the cruise and normally before the cruise I will have something that will still be refundable such as a hotel that might have a 48 cancellation, etc.

I think the fees just happen to be low in these ports such as in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Mine are normally higher.

Do you mind taking a stab at the last question posed by "smeyer" on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board? It was on the thread I started where I asked the same question thinking there may be more responses on this general board. I think the answer regarding CSA insurance coverage if you cancel is just that you can only get back the amount that you insured. I'm not sure what they meant about "proportionally". I have other things insured besides just the cruise and normally before the cruise I will have something that will still be refundable such as a hotel that might have a 48 cancellation, etc.

Hi Jade13,

I'll find smeyer's post & respond. Thanks.

Archived