Credit card charges

Parsman

Firstly "old chum" ,I,m not your "old chum".:D

I have also cruised with different cruise lines to FO , including HAL ,Cunard , Sovereign , P&O ,why did you book Balmoral if you knew she was an old ship compared to the ships sailing today.

What has all this to do with CC charges.:confused:

People enjoy Olsen because they offer a cruise away from pushy crew ,art auctions and large impersonal ,tastelessly decorated ships.

If you like those types of ship ,best of luck to you also "old chum".:D

Perhaps people would rather cruise FOCL ,without the false glitz that Cunard portray on their oversized ships.

As for FOCL only answering when they want to ,do P&O or Cunard answer complaints at all or aren,t there any.:rolleyes:

Comparing FO with Cunard is like comparing apples and bananas - two entirely different products and many, including me, enjoy both. Because of their smaller ships FO tend to offer more interesting itineraries, Cunard offers a more glamorous overall experience but lacks the house-party atmosphere we've found and enjoyed on FO.

I agree with your second point - FO are the only cruiseline I've seen replying to queries on here.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread, thanks to all contributors, 'forewarned is forarmed' as they say, I will remember to sign up with a debit card rather then credit card, don't think it is unreasonable cosidering the hidden costs to the retailer. Does anyone know which is the best way to buy 'American Dollars', before we go or at the ports of call? We are on the Braemar going to the Southern Caribbean in April.

Also --- how do you choose to dine the Grampian rather then the Thistle? This will be our third cruise with Fred? How do you get upgrades on your accomodation?

Thanks

Minnie

So very true. Having just returned from a cruise on Queen Victoria, a clean, and well run ship with all the modern facilities, the comparison with the voyages we have taken recently with FO is "chalk and cheese".

Of course there are many people who will only sail on "small" ships - fair enough, but they have to accept a poorer cruise experience for that with FO's old, creaky norovirus susceptible vessels.

David

Maybe you missed the reports both on CC and in the media that the other norovirus susceptible ship catering to the UK market is in fact Mrs Brown herself :confused: :D

There has been some good debate and some factual information on this subject but still people don't seem to have woken up to the point that a 2% charge is a con, a rip off, profittering.

Recent article in the papers stated that large companies negotiate the rate often down to less than 1.5%.

FOCL charge 2% and the TA I used 2.5%, I for one will not be paying this surcharge and suggest anyone that does should be having a consultation with a Doctor.

People that need to pay with a credit card are already paying a very high interest rate without an additional charge.

Lets have some more views on the subject

David

PS. Think I've gone from deck 7 to the bilges and will probably end up walking the plank

I have been following this thread with interest and had decided we could use a debit card to pay the onboard account. BUT on receiving my holiday information today I find Maestro is not acceptable either. I may well be wrong but I thought the majority of British debit cards were Maostro cards.

Correct Cunard don,t charge extra for credit cards ,just charge 15% service charge instead ,ask more for tips ,which are taken automatically ,unless you alter them.

Perhaps people would rather cruise FOCL ,without the false glitz that Cunard portray on their oversized ships.

As for FOCL only answering when they want to ,do P&O or Cunard answer complaints at all or aren,t there any.:rolleyes:

Here, here!!

As much as I love the QM2, you are ripped off with service charges & booze prices & Fred. cannot be accused of that - 2% on a reasonable bottle of wine or a litre of gin for in cabin G&Ts vs. 15% service & an inflated price on an equivalent bottle of wine.......it's a no brainer for me.

Archived