Long Beach car rental

punkybett

We're returning from a Splendor cruise Jan 17 and would like to rent a car. Are there any rental companies at the port or any that will pick you up?

We took a cab to the Avis on Pacific Avenue in Long Beach. This was from San Pedro. We were very satisfied with their service.

Another positive experience with Avis on Pacific Ave. We used Avis for a one-way rental for our Mariner cruise back in May. Picked up the vehicle at John Wayne and dropped it at the Pacific Ave location. They were professional and efficient, and the cost was exactly as estimated. I had a friend pick me up and take me to Mariner, but I was told that a taxi to the port would have been in the $20 range. That is less than the one-way drop fee that Enterprise wanted to charge. There was no one-way drop fee with Avis.

does the avis location on Pacific have a shuttle to the port? If not how much is the cab fare from the avis location to the port? I think it is about a mile away.

Avis on Pacific did not have a shuttle as of last May. They told me that a taxi to the port would be around $20.

This was from Avis to the San Pedro cruise terminal. My guess is that it would be less expensive to go to the Long Beach cruise terminal (Carnival) since it is closer to Avis.

We just reserved with Budget one way from Burbank to Long Beach, very close to Carnival pier and return the next week. Can't comment about how it will work, but it was about $50 each way including all the fees and taxes, etc. They say they will pick you up. We'll see about that too. But after impossible arrangements in Galveston/Houston last year, this was easy.

...But after impossible arrangements in Galveston/Houston last year, this was easy.

Boy you've got that right. We are scheduled to cruise out of Galveston in March, and between the (lack of) transportation options, and hotels that have a minimum stay of 2 nights, it's a pain in the you know what. I won't cruise out of Galveston again, just too much hassle.

That was our decision. And in addition, there was road construction which made life more fun. For what it is worth, we ended up in the Hotel Galveston for the night before our cruise, they will keep your car for free for the cruise and ended up rending the car for the week. I can't remember for sure who we rented the car from but beware- we ended up getting charged car insurance despite having refused it and came back to a huge fight. The cruise was great, the airport to cruise so much of a hassle that we will never cruise out of Galveston again.

That was our decision. And in addition, there was road construction which made life more fun. For what it is worth, we ended up in the Hotel Galveston for the night before our cruise, they will keep your car for free for the cruise and ended up rending the car for the week. I can't remember for sure who we rented the car from but beware- we ended up getting charged car insurance despite having refused it and came back to a huge fight. The cruise was great, the airport to cruise so much of a hassle that we will never cruise out of Galveston again.

Do you remember which car rental agency you used? I'd like to be sure to avoid it given you had so much hassle.

Bob

Archived