So, who HAS been asked for the parental consent form?

tammymacb

On another thread, there is a woman who is very nervous because her ex husband is unable to sign the consent to take her daughter on a cruise.

My 13 YO DD has been on CCL x 3, RCCL X 1, NCL x 1, X x 1 and Disney x 2. We have never been asked for this form.

Now, she does travel with a passport, and my ex did have to sign a consent for that...so maybe that's why I've never been asked. Has anyone here ever been asked to see this form, or custody papers?

Never been asked but when my kids were younger I always had a notarized note from my husband if he wasn't with us. I figured, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. but as they have gotten older I wouldn't bother. By 13 she could speak out if she were being kidnapped.

Last November I took DD (almost 18 by a day or two) and her best friend (young 17). We had the forms from my husband and the bff's parents. I made it a point to mention that I had these when checking in, but the person at the counter said, "You're fine" or something, without even looking at the forms. I thought it was kind of strange, especially for the unrelated minor. They did both have passports.

Problem is you never know...better safe than sorry, and have the document with you.

On our CTN, my son and his 11 year old daughter (who was adopted by her other grandparents and has their last name) were in one cabin by themselves. My son just handed them her passport and her notarized permission letter, which was just signed by the other grandmother (the grandfather has issues and is not living with them anymore). They asked my granddaughter who my son was and she told them he was her daddy and they were fine with that.

The passport was only signed by the other grandmother since she has sole and complete legal and physical custody.

I have taken several of my sons friends with us on 3 different cruises... We always had a note but no one ever asked for it... One of the boys was on the No Fly list because of his name but we were able to clear that up.

I also took a Gilr Scout Troop on the Legend last Oct. and again No one asked for the letters...

I think you will be fine, the only problem I could see is if the father issues a Missing Person report or Kidnapping Report and Customs picks it up...

Other than that you are most likely good to go.

Have a Great Cruise.:D

Two years ago we took our then 10 year old grandson with us out of the same port (NOLA) and we had a notarized permission letter signed by his mother and father since we were going to Mexico and noone ever asked for it. When we were coming up to the customs guy on the way out I had everything ready to show it but he just waved us on through.

Three years ago, we took our 10 year old grandson on a cruise out of Galveston. No one wanted the notarized paper.

Two years ago, we took our 5 year old granddaughter on a cruise out of Miami. We had to show the papers coming back into the U.S. We took her on another cruise last year out of Galveston, and no one asked. Go figure.

Sewut

We've always sailed together on cruises so never have needed the letter, but DH was asked for the letter when he was flying from the US to the UK with our oldest son - and we had never heard anything about the requirement, so he didn't have a letter. They took son aside and questioned him about the trip and why I wasn't there - that and the round-trip tickets let them continue their trip.

I think the airlines are stricter about the requirement than a closed-loop cruise would be.

On another thread, there is a woman who is very nervous because her ex husband is unable to sign the consent to take her daughter on a cruise.

My 13 YO DD has been on CCL x 3, RCCL X 1, NCL x 1, X x 1 and Disney x 2. We have never been asked for this form.

Now, she does travel with a passport, and my ex did have to sign a consent for that...so maybe that's why I've never been asked. Has anyone here ever been asked to see this form, or custody papers?

ive taken my daughter all over the world and haven't been asked once about consent forms. i think since the passport requires both parents permission, they dont get too asky.

My wife and I have brought my stepson on 5 cruises and since he has a different last name then us, we always brought a letter from his dad. We were never asked for it. This past summer we took a friend of his, who is from Pakistani descent, so he obviously was not part of the family. We had a letter and they did not ask for it.

Bottom line, I will still bring a letter since I would not to have my vacation ruined by that one time they ask for it.

I just posted on the thread you're talking about. I have cruised with my granddaughter in the past and even though I had notarized letter giving me permission to take her on cruise and to make medical decisions, I was never asked for anything except her birth certificate. In June it was me, my DGD and her best friend. We all had passports this time. As soon as

we walked up to the counter at the terminal, I was asked for notarized letters from parents. My DGD's friend's father was in Iraq, so her letter was just signed by her mother. The Carnival rep took the letters, read them as she walked away to make copies and never questioned why one only had one parent's signature. She did tell me to keep the letters with me when we went ashore and I did, but was never asked to see them.

ive taken my daughter all over the world and haven't been asked once about consent forms. i think since the passport requires both parents permission, they dont get too asky.

I believe this is true........OP the other thread you are talking about is more involved then any of us will ever know which does not involve a passport...........you have cruised on other lines it will be the same with Carnival........

I was denied boarding with my son on a trip to Mexico by the airline in New Orleans because I did not have a letter. (never knew I needed one) Was told Mexico required it and I would just be put back on a plane if I arrived in Mexico without it.

Got a letter with difficulty, got on the plane, landed in Mexico. Not one person asked to see my letter. Total waste of my time and a day of my vacation.

Have NEVER had one to board a cruise ship and have never been asked for one.

Was denied entering Canada with my daughter for a day trip to Victoria. Got to the immigrations department after getting off the ferry from Port Angeles, Washington. The Immigrations agent asked where her mother was and we told her back home. Was asked if I had a letter from her mom giving me permission to bring her into Canada and said no. Was told to please wait here,,, we were promply reboarded back onto the ferry headed back to the US.

Archived