What would you have done?

bobbymcgee

From the moment I left the elevator I so regreted not speaking up. I guess I was so shocked, that I was speechless for the moment. After my mom cried I became angry and considered apprroaching her when I seen her around the ship. But really what good would it have done. My point really was that so many passengers on my cruise talked and complained CONTINOUSLY about the kids, I got to thinking that adults can be upset you as well.

There's no difference between unruly children and rude adults. Rude adults should know better but obviously not. Unruly children have rude parents, they're made from the same mold. I'm an outgoing person and I would have said something to the woman like: "Do you realize what you just said was rude and hurtful?" I would have put her in her place and maybe she would think twice about opening her mouth up. On cruises, I never witnessed a child say anything disrespectful to an adult. But I have witnessed fighting and other stuff by children.

Okay, I don't like rude kids or adults. The good thing about adults - you get to be rude back. If this happened to me (or happens to you again) just say:

Thank you for the advice. I would suggest you not get desert and go directly to the bags - you know the one for your face. You don't want people to see you get any uglier.

OR

Sorry you are so old you don't realize who on this ship you gave birth to and who you did not. But, if you touch me or my mother again, we are going to have a serious problem.

I am the same as you...can't think of anything to say on the spot, but here are some I've come up with that you could have said...

Do I know you?

Who are you? The diet police?

You must have us confused with someone else.

Thank you for your unsolicited opinion.

Do you think you're funny?

It's OK she's eating for 2. Aren't those new fertility drugs awesome? (this has the added impact of confusing the hell out of the rude lady)

She's allergic to fruit.

Fruit causes cancer. (again, just too confuse)

Did you ever see the movie, "The Witches of Eastwick"? (more confusion)

Where I come from, polite people don't make rude comments like that? Where are you from?

Where are you from? answer Oh, I didn't realize people from {place} were so rude.

I can't believe you said that...she is a recovering anorexic...you probably just set her back 6 months in treatment.

You know, the boutique has some nice clothes...I notice yours are so out-dated.

Were you rude your whole life, or did you just get that way when you got old?

Do you have a mental illness? Did you forget to take your medication?

To those nearby..."Poor thing, she must be senile".

Mind your own business, lady.

To your mom, "Something stinks in here. Can you smell it?"

Lord, please forgive those who know not what they do.

Maybe you haven't heard...it's a crime to touch another person without their permission.

May I add

" When did they let you out ?"

"Would you like a breath mint?"

The original poster showed tremendous restraint, and did the right thing by ignoring that woman's ignorance.

I would have done nothing. I would have never left her with the impression that her insult had any effect whatsoever. I'm sorry it happened, and her behavior was totally out of line -- but, I think you successfully took her fun away. If everybody responded to her barbs without giving her any of the satisfaction she craves, she'd have to give up and start being nice to people if she wanted anyone to interact with her.

I think you did the right thing.

Yeah it was rude, but nobody should let these kind of things really bother them, unless they are overly sensitive and have self esteem issues. Who really cares about another's opinion in the situation described? Additionally, confrontation is not appropriate, just adds to the stress and vacations are supposed to be stress reduction excercises.

Archived