Cruise Ships in Vancouver for Winter Olympics?

OldCodger73

I'm a confirmed TV channel surfer, which drives my wife wild. Yesterday I caught the tail end on a news report on one of the local channels that seemed to imply that some, if not all, of the cruise ships that were going to have been used for additional housing in Vancouver for the Winter Olympics will not be needed. They showed a file clip of the Zaandam.

Does anyone know anything about this? Did I misconstrue something based on missing the first part of the segment?

I'm a confirmed TV channel surfer, which drives my wife wild. Yesterday I caught the tail end on a news report on one of the local channels that seemed to imply that some, if not all, of the cruise ships that were going to have been used for additional housing in Vancouver for the Winter Olympics will not be needed. They showed a file clip of the Zaandam.

Does anyone know anything about this? Did I misconstrue something based on missing the first part of the segment?

From what has been posted here in the past, I believe they are using several of the ships for housing Am not sure of the ships though...

There's a bit of background at this link

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/features/2010/story.html?id=86819e2e-8595-4ba3-a5ab-2f3b6e658d3c

So the story does not apply to the cruise ships that are being used for accommodation for security & other Olympics personnel, just the ones they were trying to rent out to tourists.

Interestingly, the "Coral Princess" is referenced in the backgrounder, and Princess shows that the CP is doing Panama Canal in Feb.

I was wondering a while back why no cruises were booked for the Oosterdam in Feb, found out she is housing for security personnel for the Olympics.

We're on the first cruise to Mexico in March when she's done - I think that will be a good thing as the crew will be fresh from doing something a little different.

(...and if you don't agree, keep it to yourself - I don't need no negative energy MANNN!!!):D:D

The Statendam will be there as well.

Oosterdam will indeed be used for Olympics security personnel and the Stat will be used for the Royal Canadian Mounties. Neither will be open to the public and guests will be not be allowed to visit either (I have several friends working on the ship and was thinking about coming from Seattle to visit - a no go.) They can of course get off and see people in town :) Both ships are supposedly keeping a light staff on the hotel side (less beverage department, same HK size, and less entertainment - most are sent home).

What about repo cruises from San Diego up to Vancouver?

Greg

No repo cruises scheduled to get the ships to Vancouver. Don't know why.

February is not the time to do cruises along the Pacific Northwest coast. As Lorekauf mentioned above, it is darn cold. It's also windy, choppy, and stormy on the ocean in winter here. Gale force winds are prevalent. I don't envy the crews that will be bringing the ships in and out of Vancouver for the winter Olympics.

Both ships are supposedly keeping a light staff on the hotel side (less beverage department' date=' same HK size, and less entertainment - most are sent home).[/quote']

When I asked what would be open on the Statendam for the secuirity staff I was told 3 bars (I think :o) and the Lido is supposed to be open 24 hours. No dining room according to the bartender I spoke with.

Yesterday I caught the tail end on a news report on one of the local channels that seemed to imply that some, if not all, of the cruise ships that were going to have been used for additional housing in Vancouver for the Winter Olympics will not be needed.

This is a local news story from Seattle television station, it may help.

http://www.kirotv.com/sports/21668571/detail.html

Some of us would do anything to get onboard.

And if the price were right, "Cold" can be euphamized into "Snugly" ;) :cool:

Yes seriously....I don't like to be cold on a cruise. That's what happens when you live in a city where it's winter 9 months of the year:D:eek:.

Having lived in Seattle, the rough seas don't bother me. If the price was right I would

go. I am booked on the Rotterdam this May from SAN - YVR.

Greg

Yeah I'm doing a cruise from San Diego to Vancouver in Apr. but I think Jan.2010 would be a different thing. I had 30 foot seas in the area before. I laugh when I hear people refer to rough seas as being 8 ft. Those are wavelets. I wonder if HAL would have some interest in making the reposition cruises for those that might be interested.

• 1 month later...
No repo cruises scheduled to get the ships to Vancouver. Don't know why.

The ship has been chartered starting in San Diego. That way security can get onboard in SD and start to sweep the ship, etc, and be satisfied it is 'safe' enough to pull into the secure security zone when it gets to Vancouver.

Archived